Sign in with
Your question

Buzzing noise from speakers only when playing games?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 4, 2013 10:43:18 PM

I've been having this problem ever since I put in my new graphics card, before it didn't make this noise.

Everytime I open a game it gets to the main menu then makes this buzzing noise, It doesn't make the noise on anything besides games, the pitch seems to change with the thing I open up in a game, for instance, I open up TF2 then click browse servers and it makes a higher pitch then when browse servers wasn't open.

I've updated my sound card so I have no idea what it could be, also for some reason it takes so long for my sound options to pop up(about 2-3 mins, which also interfers with changing from speakers to a headset).

Thanks in advance!
February 7, 2013 4:02:27 PM

Hey xELITEx,

I'm in a very similar predicament here and am still trying to figure out what causes the interference between audio/graphics. I made a post in the GFX section which received a couple replies. Perhaps they might help you out:) 

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/391800-15-buzzing-n...

Perhaps someone in the audio section could help out as well!
m
l
February 9, 2013 9:47:35 PM

I fixed mine, I just enabled vsync on the games I play and it seemed to fix the buzzing noises.
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2014 2:16:56 PM

I had the same static problem with the same symptoms. (This does not address the length of time for the sound options to pop up.)

My problem was due to poor shielding in a KVM switch cable. This cable bundles both the speaker cable and the monitor cable within the same wire. There was cross talk (interference) between the signal going to the monitor and the signal going to the speaker, which (mostly) didn't show up until playing certain 3D games. I presume that this problem never showed up earlier because I never had a graphics card that could drive the monitor so hard before.

For my problem, the solution was simple: route the audio and video cables separately. I still use the KVM switch, but now the speakers attach to only one system.

As an aside, others have had the same symptoms. In http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316351-28-remove-stat..., clutchc recommends using a better shielding if you're using a VGA cable. This is essentially the same advice with some explanation added.
m
l
April 21, 2014 7:51:48 AM

Try to change from 16 bit to 24 bit audio.

I was plagued with this for a long time with my pc (2x EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI, Corsair AX860i platinum PSU, Yamaha Studio monitors/external DAC USB/Optical)
It would only occur in games, and I tried everything (changing poweroutlets, balanced cables, different PSU, checking cables for interference) I thought it was something electrical between the PC and the external DAC, so i changed from USB to optical from the motherboard. Same thing.
I would not get this problem when i had my headphone amplifier connected straight to the same DAC so that is why i thought it had to be the studio monitors not being filtered in some way.

Then just by chance today I changed my audio output (realtek onboard optical out) to 24 bit 48khz (default is 16 bit 48khz), and problem gone!

Please try this.

m
l
!