Sign in with
Your question

Updating a Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 30, 2010 1:42:11 AM

I have a Sony vaio vgn-nr11oe... I bought it about 3 years ago and now it is becoming outdated and slow. I was interested in updating it. What all could i update to make it faster? I know i can increase the ram from 1 to 2gigs. Would that help that much should i also get a new processor, motherboard?

Id rather update than just by a new laptop mostly because I like doing this sort of thing just dont have any experience..

More about : updating laptop

a c 244 D Laptop
July 30, 2010 7:44:50 AM

I would recommend getting a new laptop because first of all you barely can find a CPU compatible with your notebook(since they aren't produced anymore),also even if you find one,it won't give you a great boost in performance.
As for RAM,you can get 2GB but i recommend more than 2GB for today's games/apps.
And finally,you can't change the VGA.
July 30, 2010 2:13:16 PM

well sticking in more ram will certainly get it to go faster 1gb isn't enough these days, what do you use it for? and you said it's becoming outdated and slow, do you mean it's getting slower? If you dont use it for gaming or anything that's CPU or GPU intensive, just clean it up, go with a fresh install of the OS from factory settings and upgrade your RAM. if it's 1gb you'll probably have two 500mb dimms in there, so I'd recommend getting either 2 x 1gb dimms or perhaps 1x2gb dimm and a 1gb dimm, that way you'll have 3 to play around with.
July 30, 2010 8:00:18 PM

Do as collie147 states. clean up with free download of Ccleaner. get rid of all the garbage then clean the registry. you'll think you have a new computer until you actually use a new one then yours won't be fast enough.
!