FX-55 @ almost 4ghz now

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
<A HREF="http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44504" target="_new">http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44504</A>

Wow strained silicon is really helping with o/cs on this monster. Hes pulling 23 on superpi which is the world record held by a 5.5xx someodd prescott.

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
Wow... he must have some crazy cooling hooked up to that. What's the highest they have gotten it on air?

AMD 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
6800 GT
WD Raptor 74GB

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
1.9volts on 0.13u, sounds pretty far fetched. Also I thought the best anyone ever got even on liquid nitrogen was 2.8ghz 2.9ghz.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
what you dont believe the score? that guy is one of the pro overclockers over there, he wouldnt lie about somehting like that. I can pretty much trust results an overclocker like that shows off, plus its easily verified, nothing sinister in this lol. but i will say its an amazing feat, it goes agaisnt everyhting ppl tried to predict, namely that 130nm was at its upper limits before, but we see that line get pushed back everyday thanks to better steppings and cores. 4ghz isnt out of the question if 3.8 is possible on his cooling. it wasnt even cascade cooling, so there is still room for improvement lol.

i mena of course this means little, but tis cool to see this mark hit on 130nm.

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Actually spuddy people have been hitting over 3ghz on AMD chips quite easily lately. The average o/c of the fx55 seems to be around 2.8-2.9 on the stock cooler and 3.2-3.5 with mach2 cooling.
This is on L2N in a 3 stage cascade holding a steady -110C on the chip. And what about 1.9V? People have been putting that much through sckt A .13 for years now and the A64's can take it too.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
I would prefer to see an official statement from the semiconductor companies on if they can do the same feats in the labs. It is as retarded as the 5.0 P4 over clocks that just post.

With considerations that his video card used was notably passively cooled stressed the improbability of such a score that he received in 3dmark. Also where is his heat spreaders for the memory.

Or perhaps his great 6 GHz Prescott over clock, which again is highly and for all intensive purposes improbable

You may all fall in line and believe what some fellow claims, but I would need considerably more evidence to believe such a claim. BIOS, Post Screen shots, additional pictures of the motherboard and more specifically power regulators, chip ID’s, modifications to the motherboards power circuitry, and more importantly a video of the entire process operation and benchmarking.

This man is so great and obviously has access to a good chunk of change to use liquid nitrogen, why isn’t this grand even recorded? I tell you I sure the hell would record everything much like THG did with all of their liquid nitrogen over clocks that don’t run much of anything at those speeds.

Xeon

<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
I would prefer to see an official statement from the semiconductor companies on if they can do the same feats in the labs. It is as retarded as the 5.0 P4 over clocks that just post.
I have only ever once seen either company brag about speeds's acheived on exotic cooling. This was when intel was showing off a L2N 3.5 ghz p4HT. They dont seem to do that very often. They are more worried about product that will make it to market and that will make them profit.
With considerations that his video card used was notably passively cooled stressed the improbability of such a score that he received in 3dmark. Also where is his heat spreaders for the memory.
This is a crazy jap. They dont care about 3dmark and he doesnt have any 3dmark scores listed there. nice assumption though.
Or perhaps his great 6 GHz Prescott over clock, which again is highly and for all intensive purposes improbable
This was achieved by macci. This guy is the best and holds many world records and consistantly sets new ones. If u dont believe what he does then suite yourself. he is a respected person all voer the internet.
You may all fall in line and believe what some fellow claims, but I would need considerably more evidence to believe such a claim. BIOS, Post Screen shots, additional pictures of the motherboard and more specifically power regulators, chip ID’s, modifications to the motherboards power circuitry, and more importantly a video of the entire process operation and benchmarking.
Once again this is some crazy jap. Wait till macci gets going with his new FX55 and he has pictures of his setups on his website. Check some of his [-peep-] out.....<A HREF="http://www.akiba-pc.com/news.php" target="_new">http://www.akiba-pc.com/news.php</A>
This man is so great and obviously has access to a good chunk of change to use liquid nitrogen, why isn’t this grand even recorded? I tell you I sure the hell would record everything much like THG did with all of their liquid nitrogen over clocks that don’t run much of anything at those speeds.
He makes videos on occasion like when they set the 3dmark03 record a few months back. This is what he does though, THG makes vids of everything for publicity to make money.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
wow, thats pretty harsh words there. give the guy a little respect, he isnt some unknown tweaker, he has a history int he overclocking community and he has proven his testbefore int he past, even this one he will be posting more pictures if you need that, but he posted the neccesary cpu id numbers and such on the japanese forums if you checked.

i dont get the animosity, but I tend to believe his achivement in reflection of advancements lately and his track record alogn wiht the record of other similar overclockers.

endyen

Splendid
Xeon is just a little scared. His god has just said that they will not be making a P4@ 4ghz, then someone comes out, and shows that an Amd chip, one with 130 nano tech no less, can run at that speed. Very scary.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Intel is not God. Intel is the Devil. AMD is God. I have empirical evidence of this:

Both "Devil" and "Intel" have 5 letters(as in 5 points, as in pentagram, as in devil worship) and both end in "L"(as in Lucifer).

Now compare "AMD" and "God". Both have 3 letters(as in the Holy Trinity) and both end in "D"(as in Diety).

A couple of other things to note: Pentium is basically an obfuscated reference to a pentagram, which we all know is only ever used and assoicated with hard core devil worship. And what's their highest speed Pentium branded chip? 3.6 ghz. Don't you see? 3 6's, as in 666, as in the mark of the beast.

Now we look at the Opteron, which is the K8. If you turn 8 on it's side, you get the symbol for infinity, as in the infinte God. By going to Opteron, AMD helped us get to 64bits(which is based on 8 x 8, another infinity reference). While Intel wanted us to remain at 32 bits. And what do you get when you multiply 3 x 2? 6 of course. That evil foul satanic number.

Anyways, it is clear that Xeon is a Devil Worshipper, as are all Intel fans. Being an Intel fan is actually a clever disguise that Satanists use to hide their association behind legitimate sounding tech interests.

AMD fans are members of the one true faith. Only they can say that their favorite techcompany is God.

Happy Halloween.

<i>Nemo me impune lacesset</i>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Thats cute.

Xeon

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
LOL

------------
<A HREF="http://www.foood.net" target="_new">FOOOD's Icons</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
lots of pentium 4 can run at 4ghz and don't even need phase change to do so...

MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
AMD A64 3500+ @ 10x240
Corsair TwinX 2x512 mb PC4000 v3.3
120 maxtor SATA
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Watercooled by Innovatek

Blasphemy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Quote: "lots of pentium 4 can run at 4ghz and don't even need phase change to do so..."

Proof? Give links please.

----------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (stock)//1GB Corsair 3200XL//ATI Radeon 9700Pro (360/335)//WD Raptor 74GB/Antec Neopower 480W//Lian Li PC-61 Custom

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
This is a crazy jap. They dont care about 3dmark and he doesnt have any 3dmark scores listed there. nice assumption though.
Hmmm you know I don’t even know where the bloody hell I saw or if I even saw any 3dmark scores on the site... man oh man I must have been tired when I wrote that...

This was achieved by macci.
Yes yes we all know that but at these stupid OC's they cant do much more than running super-pi(which is a poorly optimized pi calculation software something in the area of 586 binaries) and CPUZ. What good are the over clocks when you can’t run any real software effectively.

Once again this is some crazy jap. Wait till macci gets going with his new FX55 and he has pictures of his setups on his website. Check some of his [-peep-] out.....http://www.akiba-pc.com/news.php
In case you didn’t know I really don’t give a flying monkey on a skateboards ass about over-clocks.

He makes videos on occasion like when they set the 3dmark03 record a few months back. This is what he does though, THG makes vids of everything for publicity to make money.
Link I am quite interested in something that validates this man for me and cant be prettied up with Photoshop.

i dont get the animosity, but I tend to believe his achivement in reflection of advancements lately and his track record alogn wiht the record of other similar overclockers.
No animosity, I just require more evidence I have been had many times before with regards to over-clocking of this nature. Holding your "flag" and defending someone that actually just lied just doesn’t work well.

Xeon is just a little scared. His god has just said that they will not be making a P4@ 4ghz, then someone comes out, and shows that an Amd chip, one with 130 nano tech no less, can run at that speed. Very scary.
Well "god" isn’t something that’s in my life, but it is very funny. I enjoy the witty satire especially at my expense.

With regards to the 4.0 production cancellation, it's not that these chips can’t get that high. Take me I have a Northwood 3.0 water-cooled some DDR500 and I run at 4.0 just for benchmarking. I have actually yet to see a Prescott so I can’t say if they go to 4.0 easy or not. But I would assume they could more easily with regards to lower voltages and whatnot.

The problem lies in binning enough 4.0 cores and I don’t see that being something of "quantity". It's not that the micron sizes can’t scale the processor up that high or the temperatures are too much (run at 38-40 at 4.0 on load), just getting enough of them.

Xeon

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Yes yes we all know that but at these stupid OC's they cant do much more than running super-pi(which is a poorly optimized pi calculation software something in the area of 586 binaries) and CPUZ. What good are the over clocks when you can’t run any real software effectively.
Yes but this is whats its about. Pushing this stuff to its limit even if its only stable for a few minutes. Its comparing top end stuff @ its absolute limit. Its like running a ricer with 30G under the hood producing over a 1000HP. These engines dont last for more than few fast runs without a complete rebuild. Same concept, different hobby.
In case you didn’t know I really don’t give a flying monkey on a skateboards ass about over-clocks.
Take me I have a Northwood 3.0 water-cooled some DDR500 and I run at 4.0 just for benchmarking. I have actually yet to see a Prescott so I can’t say if they go to 4.0 easy or not.
so u have a bunch of expensive water cooling equipment and u overclock your CPU 1GHZ for benchmarking and u have no interest or care in overclocking? Interesting.......
Link I am quite interested in something that validates this man for me and cant be prettied up with Photoshop.
Some quick googling left me with nothing but i'll find that and other vids for ya spud. I have seen the video and i believe they also had a live broadcast on their website of their progress.
With regards to the 4.0 production cancellation, it's not that these chips can’t get that high. Take me I have a Northwood 3.0 water-cooled some DDR500 and I run at 4.0 just for benchmarking. I have actually yet to see a Prescott so I can’t say if they go to 4.0 easy or not. But I would assume they could more easily with regards to lower voltages and whatnot.

The problem lies in binning enough 4.0 cores and I don’t see that being something of "quantity". It's not that the micron sizes can’t scale the processor up that high or the temperatures are too much (run at 38-40 at 4.0 on load), just getting enough of them.
i really have to disagree with this one. I dont believe that they can get the 4.0 chips out the door @ all. Its not a matter of yields becasue intel could just paper launch the chip just like the EE and the newer prescotts and have a few month headstart. If intel could really get it out the door do u think the Intel CEO would be on his knees begging the public for forgiveness.....literaly<A HREF="http://news.com.com/Photo+Barretts+mea+culpa/2100-1006_3-5417870-2.html?tag=st.next" target="_new">http://news.com.com/Photo+Barretts+mea+culpa/2100-1006_3-5417870-2.html?tag=st.next</A>
Also who says current prescotts run @ 38C(40 on load)....Everyone i have talked to seems to have trouble getting them to idol below 50C and they have no problem hitting 70C on load with the extremely loud stock cooler running @ 5500RPM. These are chips that are only putting out between 100-125 watts. The 4.0's would have been much hotter.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Agreed with previous post. The problem with 4.0Ghz prescotts is pure and simple heat. Prescott has no trouble reaching those speeds, but it generates heat in excess of 100W, which is not acceptable.

If suddenly someone invented a quiet, effective and cheap cooling solution for 150+W, Intel would be saved. It could probably ramp prescott up to 4.0, 4.2, 4.4, and maybe, just maybe, even touch 5Ghz. But as is, this is not the case and intel is really, really in trouble.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
so u have a bunch of expensive water cooling equipment and u overclock your CPU 1GHZ for benchmarking and u have no interest or care in overclocking? Interesting.......
You are correct, the water cooling makes my machine very quiet. It happens to be a nice side effect is I can over clock to 4.0. The DDR500 is for a more reasonable over clock of 3.7 1:1 which I run all the time because 3.6 area is ideal performance for me and I don’t wish to buy a 3.6.

Some quick googling left me with nothing but i'll find that and other vids for ya spud. I have seen the video and i believe they also had a live broadcast on their website of their progress.
That would be great.

Also who says current prescotts run @ 38C(40 on load)....
Missed the additional my water cooling keeps my processor at that when it's over clocked to 4.0, I have been quite tired this weekend seems my sentences aren’t even being completed well.

I will go to sleep after this post.

Xeon

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Water cooling makes the whole system quite silent, huh? How quiet is it, really?...

Personally, I'm thinking about buying myself a dual-core Athlon FX next year and a water-cooling solution. Because the FX might come with an unlocked multiplier, I might use it at a much higher speed... I wonder if it's possible, with water cooling, to get a dual-core FX to the same clock speeds as single-core clocks by then?

Water cooling is much, much more efficient anyway! And water cooling a dual-core processor sounds... predictable. And if it's truly and really quiet, well, then..... :cool:

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
About 34 decibels for the entire machine in fact my raptors are louder than the water cooling system running.

Xeon

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
OMFG I MUST SAVE THAT [-peep-] SOMEWHERE!!!!

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
I missed that post goodness the satire around here is great.

Xeon