Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Install Issue

Last response: in Windows 7
December 11, 2012 6:22:43 PM

Hi all. I have a fresh build that I want to install Windows on. I have Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I go to install off of the disc and a black screen loads windows. All is good.

Then the blue log-in style screen comes up and I click "Install now". Setup is now loading. Then I get to the option for an "Upgrade" or "Custom". Because I have no OS, I click on "Custom" I then promptly receive an error.

Error code is 0xE0000100. I did some searching and it says that it is a partition error. The problem is, is that it is a fresh build, so there should be no partitions.

In the meantime, I did install Ubuntu 12.04.01, which works fine.

I tried the Windows install again, and the same result.

This is my build.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($201.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $677.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-11 15:22 EST-0500)

Any help is appreciated.

More about : windows install issue

a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 6:32:11 PM

Hi, It might be a DVD issue (the Windows kit).
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:34:31 PM

is it an upgrade copy of Windows 7 or is it a builders full copy? very different things.

upgrade versions are cheaper cause they don't have to perform a full install. full versions are more expensive, as they have all system files
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 6:51:27 PM

It is a full version.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:03:09 PM

Do you have any disk recovery tools on CD/DVD ? e.g. Partition Manager or Acronis Disk Director. If you had something like this you could boot into the disk and check over the HDD for partitions, errors etc
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 7:03:45 PM

you may have to use some disk tools and do a fdisk/mbr the grub loader may still be on the hard drive in the mbr and windows cant delete it or upgrade it.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:05:54 PM

I don't have any disk tools. I do have some CD RW's and the internet though. Any recommendations?
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:36:55 PM

Do you have another system with Windows 7 running? If so, you can try:
- attach your Barracuda to that other system as the boot HDD, and try installing windows 7 onto it from there. DO NOT ACTIVATE. Just verify that either (a) the HDD is usable there, or (b) it is not. To be safe, you might want to disconnect all other HDDs on that system.
- attach your Barracuda to that as a data HDD and use diskpart from the existing installed Win 7 to clear out the MBR (see MSDN docs on diskpart.exe for details).

Also, make sure there are no other HDDs or SSDs connected when you do your install, in case one of them is causing this problem.

The next screen you SHOULD be seeing when you go through the Win 7 install is the list of partitions and/or unused space on all connected HDDs / SSDs, so Windows is crashing when it is trying to compile that information. Also, if your MB is configured in RAID mode, it's possible that the SB drivers for it on the Win 7 CD have a bug. Try AHCI and Legacy / IDE modes instead. If your Win 7 is not SP1, this is a possibility because the 970 chipset was released after Win 7. I would not expect it to crash the install, but then again that's exactly what ICH7R did for me with Vista.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:57:26 PM

I would love to do that, I don't have another system though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 8:24:48 PM

1) First ittimjones comments are nt total accurate. The disk for Upgrade, OEM and Full contain all the files. The differences are:
.. OEM - No Support and thru windows 7 the Lic is tied to the MB first installed on (ie can NOT upgrade MB, unlies it dies)
.. Upgrade cantains ALL files as you can do a clean install. Requires a valid previous version of Windows.
For Your system, Make sure you have the latest Bios revision.

?? Do you qualify for using the Upgrade version. You indicated this was for a new Build??
That said, You can use the Upgrade version and do a "clean" install providing you have a Legit copy of window for that machine.
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:47:35 PM

I already have the copy of windows. If I try to "Upgrade" it tries to find a previous version of windows to upgrade from. Because it is a new build, there is none.

Does anyone know of a free third party software that can check the HDD without having an OS. I can write CD and DVD's, so that won't be an issue.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 10:12:45 PM

Don't leave home without:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
December 11, 2012 10:33:31 PM

Thank you so much. This will help a ton. I will let you know what it says.
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:03:11 AM

So I used a partition manager and found that there were three random partitions on the hard drive. I just deleted all of them, tried the install again, and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks for all the help.
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:06:33 AM

Best answer selected by zared619.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 12, 2012 12:09:10 PM

Might have been able to do thru Installation disk (If you got to the page showing Drives), then selecting Advanced, and delete the partitions.
Alternatively, There is a way to run Diskpart from the Installation disk.
This is a Dos based program that also allows working with disks.
You have to work down to the command "Clean".
Diskpart: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415
I have used this several times to remove problem partitions. Although rater than work from the Installation disk, I go to a 2nd computer and attach the drive as a USB drive, then run the cmd from windows - selcting Cmd prompt (w/admin).
A 3rd alternative is the "utility" disk from the manuf.
m
l
!