Cabling a 120Hz monitor

chris911t

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I have a laptop with HDMI, mini-DisplayPort and VGA ports (no DVI).

I would like to buy a 120Hx 3D monitor but I'm concerned that dual-DVI may be needed.

Can anyone tell me if the ports on my laptop (as listed above) will be ok for 120Hz?
There seems to be some confusion as to whether HDMI can operate at 120Hz - some say no, some say that it works if the cable quality is high enough.

Thanks in advance.

chris911t

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Update:

I understand that mini-DP to DP may work but I can't find out if there's any loss of signal due the "mini" end - i.e. will I still be able to get 120Hz and 3D?

And I'm looking at the Samsung S27A950D/S27A750D and the Acer equivalent HN274HN.

However, the Acer does not have a DP port and is the one with NVidia support - and I have NVidia GPUs. The Samsungs do not support NV 3D - so I wonder if this is a temporary thing that might be fixed by a driver update on the Samsung, or wil it be something that would be true forever.

Thanks in advance.

freeloader93

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
So far with my experience using my benq xl2410t and NV 3d Kit, was that you needed the full Dual DVI for the 120hz. HDMI wouldn't cut it and neither would vga it had to be the full Dual DVI.

Now I remember reading somewhere about how no monitors that were 120hz supported HDMI 1.4 so that they could actually get that 120hz with hdmi.

Than again your laptop would have to be 1.4 compatiable. I recently sold my 120hz monitor and NV kit for $350 because of how dissappointed I was with it. Proper software for 2d to 3d video real time conversion was hard to find and expensive, and the gaming was limited to certain games and it wasn't jaw dropping either was a shame really, esp trying to watch the 3D pr0nz only one website and no warez for it at all but if you don't mind paying the $20 a month for that site its got some very nice quality in 3d.

I suggest stick with a 3d tv and be happy with that with more channels etc....

Because 3D computing really is not good at all.