Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Keep Pinball American?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:44:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

So what does the slogan "Keep Pinball American" achieve in Kevin Strasser's
posts? Surely his beef is with copyright law, not Australia.
You want us to send back all the Big Mac's along with our pinball machines,
Kev?
Let's keep pinball for those who love to play it ... American, Australian,
or otherwise ... and let's keep the "us and them" thing out of RGP!
Cheers
Manny

More about : pinball american

September 3, 2005 11:44:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Yeah he's really gonna be pissed when they start making pinball
machines in China!

nomad
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:44:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Aren't a lot of pinball parts already made in China? Hell, what isn't
made in China? I know the clothes I'm wearing, my tennis shoes, and
half the components in my Japanese-built computer I'm typing on were
made in China.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:44:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I took it as a slap to Wayne, not a slap to all Australians. If Wayne
would start selling us the parts we need and stop harrassing people
like Kevin, I would gladly start drinking Fosters.

Mike
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:44:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Personally, I will always think of pinball as being American no matter
who owns Williams/Bally or any other pinball related rights. There are
certain things that symbolise a country and it is only natural to be
pissed off when something that has always been "yours" is taken away.
Don't worry, we have had our fair share of it too with Arnotts
Biscuits, Chiko Rolls, Aeroplane Jelly, Edgell, Leggo's and even OUR
BLOODY VEGEMITE of all things being owned by....yep you guessed
it.....Americans. Also, I believe that the Yanks are the best at
throwing boomerangs; c'mon now that is just plain wrong, that is like
us doing you over at baseball. Also heard on the wireless you blokes
over there are selling our bloody Kangaroos and Kookaburras on the
black market so you can always go buy a Kookaburra for US12.000 and get
your revenge. When you get it, tell it that an Aussie owns the rights
to make Williams/Bally games and it will just piss itself laughing.

Dave
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:44:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Yes indeed, but with careful shopping, and some knowhow, you can change
that!

American produsts = american jobs.

I'm done. must_resist_urge_to_rant!!!!


;-)
Chris

"Rictor" <rictor99@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1125736311.902251.270800@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Aren't a lot of pinball parts already made in China? Hell, what isn't
> made in China? I know the clothes I'm wearing, my tennis shoes, and
> half the components in my Japanese-built computer I'm typing on were
> made in China.
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:26:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

America! America! America! Pinball! Pinball! Pinball!

There...that should get your feathers ruffled. lol

There was no "us and them" Implied until you started this thread.

Rich Wiski
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:02:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

you can send Big Macs and your pinballs to me - i'll take 'em both.

"Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:SvcSe.20914$FA3.16001@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> So what does the slogan "Keep Pinball American" achieve in Kevin
> Strasser's posts? Surely his beef is with copyright law, not Australia.
> You want us to send back all the Big Mac's along with our pinball
> machines, Kev?
> Let's keep pinball for those who love to play it ... American, Australian,
> or otherwise ... and let's keep the "us and them" thing out of RGP!
> Cheers
> Manny
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:09:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

"Loosey" wrote:
> Personally, I will always think of pinball as being American no matter
> who owns Williams/Bally or any other pinball related rights. There are
> certain things that symbolise a country and it is only natural to be
> pissed off when something that has always been "yours" is taken away.
<snip>

Well said. I think this captures the feeling or intent/point that the the
original post may have been trying to make.

I think the original phrase's intention may have been more accurate by
saying, "Keep Williams Pinball American" or "Keep Bally Pinball American"-
that sort of thing. Would kind of rub me wrong to see old Harry Williams
being owned/made outside the U.S.- wouldn't seem right. But to me, Williams
went the way of the dodo in Oct. 1999, and I'm "old school Williams" myself
anyway (collect late 70's/early 80's Wms)- so anything after "black monday",
to me, would just be a look-alike. So doesn't really bother me.

Also, there have been a lot of great pinball games that were *never*
American- like Zaccaria (Italy), Sonic (Spain), Hankin (Australia), Rally
(France).

The game of pinball itself? Well, if we're all well-versed in our viewing of
the History of Pinball video, we'd understand it actually originated in
France.

So where do we draw the line?

But I think Loosey hits the idea/feeling right on the head with the above-
its more of the feeling of losing something that was your's.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

The chinese have a knack to make anything to whatever specifications you
want. They could probably build a commercial pinball machine to equal
anything Stern is producing today. But unless they see a market for
millions of units they are not going to do it.
"nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1125734016.348842.295150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Yeah he's really gonna be pissed when they start making pinball
> machines in China!
>
> nomad
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:22:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Me too. I would love to visit Australia but the flight is just way too
far for me.

Rich Wiski
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:51:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

aussies are great people. they are also our allies.

i have no problem with them owning our companies as we do theirs.

i even have the aust. flag on my home page.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:13:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

they could beat stern in price any day, too because of the labor.

"S Budko" <budmanz@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:vcjSe.7657$OT1.897@fe09.lga...
> The chinese have a knack to make anything to whatever specifications you
> want. They could probably build a commercial pinball machine to equal
> anything Stern is producing today. But unless they see a market for
> millions of units they are not going to do it.
> "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1125734016.348842.295150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Yeah he's really gonna be pissed when they start making pinball
>> machines in China!
>>
>> nomad
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:15:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I think it was Wayne bashing, too.
America loves our Aussie friends. Least I do.
Dan

"pinballmike217" <weenerman217@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1125744761.370755.216160@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I took it as a slap to Wayne, not a slap to all Australians. If Wayne
> would start selling us the parts we need and stop harrassing people
> like Kevin, I would gladly start drinking Fosters.
>
> Mike
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:01:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

rwiski@advantexmail.net wrote:
> Me too. I would love to visit Australia but the flight is just way too
> far for me.
>
> Rich Wiski


That is a poor excuse Rich but I do agree that your arms would get
tired. Try doing flapping exercises several months before the flight or
you could take a plane :) 

Dave
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:29:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I think it's one persons way of expressing his dissatisfaction with the way
certain copyright holders are maintaining and enforcing that copyright. Good on
them for making their voice heard. And I certainly don't agree with the approach
that certain copyright holders are taking and see it as bad for the hobby.

That said, there have been times where I think us Aussies are all being painted
with the same brush, which is a shame.

"Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:SvcSe.20914$FA3.16001@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> So what does the slogan "Keep Pinball American" achieve in Kevin Strasser's
> posts? Surely his beef is with copyright law, not Australia.
> You want us to send back all the Big Mac's along with our pinball machines,
> Kev?
> Let's keep pinball for those who love to play it ... American, Australian, or
> otherwise ... and let's keep the "us and them" thing out of RGP!
> Cheers
> Manny
>
September 3, 2005 11:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Right back at you guys!

Cheers
MacMan

In article <1125771736.100816.319010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
rwiski@advantexmail.net wrote:

> Me too. I would love to visit Australia but the flight is just way too
> far for me.
>
> Rich Wiski
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:08:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Hi Guys

This is a great thread.

No, Rich ... feathers aren't ruffled - you can yell "America" and "Pinball"
all you want. I think it's clear Pinball is as American as Baseball, Mom's
Apple Pie and Thanksgiving! There's no argument in that. It's one of the
reasons I love playing it. I grew up in a era when the coolest thing you
could be was something resembling the Happy Days characters we all saw on
TV.

But, as soon as you have a slogan that you start chanting (at the end of
every post, for example), in my eyes anyway, it *does* seem very "us and
them". I mean we're not talking about a simple statement or view expressed
within a post ... it's capitalised, wave the sign, print the T-Shirt stuff!
What I'm getting at is that there is no need for it ... as Seinfeld would
say ... "we all get it!"

The reason this is a good thread is because it backs up just how close the
Aussies and the US are ... hell, we even fight in the same wars!

Cheers

Manny


<rwiski@advantexmail.net> wrote in message
news:1125764791.897443.52350@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> America! America! America! Pinball! Pinball! Pinball!
>
> There...that should get your feathers ruffled. lol
>
> There was no "us and them" Implied until you started this thread.
>
> Rich Wiski
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:08:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

"Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:R1qSe.21394$FA3.3603@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi Guys
>
> This is a great thread.
>

....

>
> The reason this is a good thread is because it backs up just how close the
> Aussies and the US are ... hell, we even fight in the same wars!
>

Yeah, I totally agree with this.
My neighbors moved here temporarily from Australia. I'll never forget the
day she drove into the driveway, got out of the car all flustered and yelled
"You damn Americans - you all drive on the wrong side of the road!" I can
only imagine she accidently drifted back to her Aussie days and started
driving on the left side of the road... into oncoming traffic. Either way,
we all got a pretty good laugh out of that - including her.

They were great to have as neighbors but they ended up moving back home this
past spring. And, he got a chance to buy a brand new Mustang GT and take it
back with him. Geeze, I can't imagine how much it would cost to ship a car
like that - not exactly carry on luggage.

-- Ed


> Cheers
>
> Manny
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:25:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Oh come on! You know how hard it is to ship things between USA and
Australia! The pinball machine might (and I do say *might*) get there in
good order. I'm not too sure about the Big Mac's, though! :-)

"DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
news:o WiSe.20448$ih4.11031@fe02.lga...
> you can send Big Macs and your pinballs to me - i'll take 'em both.
>
> "Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:SvcSe.20914$FA3.16001@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> So what does the slogan "Keep Pinball American" achieve in Kevin
>> Strasser's posts? Surely his beef is with copyright law, not Australia.
>> You want us to send back all the Big Mac's along with our pinball
>> machines, Kev?
>> Let's keep pinball for those who love to play it ... American,
>> Australian, or otherwise ... and let's keep the "us and them" thing out
>> of RGP!
>> Cheers
>> Manny
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:25:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Actually, I think that would be an improvement to the Big Mac! Maybe then
they would grow some real meat in them.


"Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:62sSe.21481$FA3.11200@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Oh come on! You know how hard it is to ship things between USA and
> Australia! The pinball machine might (and I do say *might*) get there in
> good order. I'm not too sure about the Big Mac's, though! :-)
>
> "DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
> news:o WiSe.20448$ih4.11031@fe02.lga...
>> you can send Big Macs and your pinballs to me - i'll take 'em both.
>>
>> "Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> news:SvcSe.20914$FA3.16001@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>> So what does the slogan "Keep Pinball American" achieve in Kevin
>>> Strasser's posts? Surely his beef is with copyright law, not Australia.
>>> You want us to send back all the Big Mac's along with our pinball
>>> machines, Kev?
>>> Let's keep pinball for those who love to play it ... American,
>>> Australian, or otherwise ... and let's keep the "us and them" thing out
>>> of RGP!
>>> Cheers
>>> Manny
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:40:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I find this thread very amusing. I am a 30 year tech for an op in
California and the average citizen (even some who play pinball...obviously
above average) don't believe me when I tell them that pinballs are mostly a
total U.S. made electronic device.
My only experience with foreign pinball was a Sonic game that Co. dumped
because it made less than it cost to keep alive.
I would love to see pinball come back made anywhere by U.S. or foreign
manufacturers....but my engineering education suggests the design,
implementation, longevity versus cost says it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.
"Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:R1qSe.21394$FA3.3603@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi Guys
>
> This is a great thread.
>
> No, Rich ... feathers aren't ruffled - you can yell "America" and
"Pinball"
> all you want. I think it's clear Pinball is as American as Baseball, Mom's
> Apple Pie and Thanksgiving! There's no argument in that. It's one of the
> reasons I love playing it. I grew up in a era when the coolest thing you
> could be was something resembling the Happy Days characters we all saw on
> TV.
>
> But, as soon as you have a slogan that you start chanting (at the end of
> every post, for example), in my eyes anyway, it *does* seem very "us and
> them". I mean we're not talking about a simple statement or view expressed
> within a post ... it's capitalised, wave the sign, print the T-Shirt
stuff!
> What I'm getting at is that there is no need for it ... as Seinfeld would
> say ... "we all get it!"
>
> The reason this is a good thread is because it backs up just how close the
> Aussies and the US are ... hell, we even fight in the same wars!
>
> Cheers
>
> Manny
>
>
> <rwiski@advantexmail.net> wrote in message
> news:1125764791.897443.52350@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > America! America! America! Pinball! Pinball! Pinball!
> >
> > There...that should get your feathers ruffled. lol
> >
> > There was no "us and them" Implied until you started this thread.
> >
> > Rich Wiski
> >
>
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:05:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Hi Pinbob
I'm not sure if we're agreeing or disagreeing. :-)
My beef isn't with whether the machine is made in the US or not. It's with
crying out, "Keep Pinball American!". Maybe it should be "Keep Pinball Made
in the USA" (chanted over a Bruce Springsteen soundtrack).
Cheers
manny


"pinbob" <robertbryce@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:egsSe.1853$ZL4.89@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>I find this thread very amusing. I am a 30 year tech for an op in
> California and the average citizen (even some who play pinball...obviously
> above average) don't believe me when I tell them that pinballs are mostly
> a
> total U.S. made electronic device.
> My only experience with foreign pinball was a Sonic game that Co. dumped
> because it made less than it cost to keep alive.
> I would love to see pinball come back made anywhere by U.S. or foreign
> manufacturers....but my engineering education suggests the design,
> implementation, longevity versus cost says it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.
> "Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:R1qSe.21394$FA3.3603@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> This is a great thread.
>>
>> No, Rich ... feathers aren't ruffled - you can yell "America" and
> "Pinball"
>> all you want. I think it's clear Pinball is as American as Baseball,
>> Mom's
>> Apple Pie and Thanksgiving! There's no argument in that. It's one of the
>> reasons I love playing it. I grew up in a era when the coolest thing you
>> could be was something resembling the Happy Days characters we all saw on
>> TV.
>>
>> But, as soon as you have a slogan that you start chanting (at the end of
>> every post, for example), in my eyes anyway, it *does* seem very "us and
>> them". I mean we're not talking about a simple statement or view
>> expressed
>> within a post ... it's capitalised, wave the sign, print the T-Shirt
> stuff!
>> What I'm getting at is that there is no need for it ... as Seinfeld would
>> say ... "we all get it!"
>>
>> The reason this is a good thread is because it backs up just how close
>> the
>> Aussies and the US are ... hell, we even fight in the same wars!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Manny
>>
>>
>> <rwiski@advantexmail.net> wrote in message
>> news:1125764791.897443.52350@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> > America! America! America! Pinball! Pinball! Pinball!
>> >
>> > There...that should get your feathers ruffled. lol
>> >
>> > There was no "us and them" Implied until you started this thread.
>> >
>> > Rich Wiski
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:08:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Now *that* is funny!
Hope McD's are reading this newsgroup ... they may get some ideas for the
McLongLife burger ... the burger that just lasts, and lasts. Yum!
Cheers
manny

"GPE" <See_my_website_for_email@cox.net> wrote in message
news:BpsSe.7539$tB5.1562@okepread06...
>
> Actually, I think that would be an improvement to the Big Mac! Maybe then
> they would grow some real meat in them.
>
>
> "Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:62sSe.21481$FA3.11200@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> Oh come on! You know how hard it is to ship things between USA and
>> Australia! The pinball machine might (and I do say *might*) get there in
>> good order. I'm not too sure about the Big Mac's, though! :-)
>>
>> "DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
>> news:o WiSe.20448$ih4.11031@fe02.lga...
>>> you can send Big Macs and your pinballs to me - i'll take 'em both.
>>>
>>> "Dr Manny" <aston61@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>> news:SvcSe.20914$FA3.16001@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>>> So what does the slogan "Keep Pinball American" achieve in Kevin
>>>> Strasser's posts? Surely his beef is with copyright law, not Australia.
>>>> You want us to send back all the Big Mac's along with our pinball
>>>> machines, Kev?
>>>> Let's keep pinball for those who love to play it ... American,
>>>> Australian, or otherwise ... and let's keep the "us and them" thing out
>>>> of RGP!
>>>> Cheers
>>>> Manny
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:47:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

A big mac would have a shelf life of a few years
so l'm sure it would arrive in good condition
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:59:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

And Why was Gary Stern in Asia a few weeks ago looking to have Pinball
Machine Home versions Made in China??
Buy American via China?
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:50:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Sounds like an enormous waste of money.
These would be in K-Mart or Walmart sitting right along side with the other
plastic Chinese POC's.


<sales@mrpinball.com.au> wrote in message
news:1125838753.656328.34010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> And Why was Gary Stern in Asia a few weeks ago looking to have Pinball
> Machine Home versions Made in China??
> Buy American via China?
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:13:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

We tried to keep pinball American... America doesn't want it. Slot
machines are more profitable. Too bad. :( 



Dr Manny wrote:
> So what does the slogan "Keep Pinball American" achieve in Kevin Strasser's
> posts? Surely his beef is with copyright law, not Australia.
> You want us to send back all the Big Mac's along with our pinball machines,
> Kev?
> Let's keep pinball for those who love to play it ... American, Australian,
> or otherwise ... and let's keep the "us and them" thing out of RGP!
> Cheers
> Manny
!