Need help! Upgrade to Gaming Laptop for SC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciccone

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am currently playing Starcraft 2 and would like to upgrade my existing laptop to run the game near its full potential. Take into consideration that this is an Alienware model (so compatibility may be an issue)... here are my current specs

AREA-51 M9750

N- CORE 2 DUO 2.16GHZ T7400 4MB 667MHZ

4GB Ram

9750 NVIDIA 7950 GTX WITH 512MB DAUGHTER

2x SEAGATE 100GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ

8X DVD+/-RW NEC AD-5540A REV 1

I was thinking that with the current processor and ram that I would be able to focus on possibly upgrading the video card. Definitely need some sound advice on what route to go and what card I should be looking at purchasing. Also with the addition of a more powerful video card, what other things I may need to focus on to support it, i.e. extra cooling or power supply. Thanks!

Solution
Though technically possible, you dont have much options. Nvidia switched to Type HE cards with additional power for the 8800GT series IIRC, while your laptop uses MXM type III.

You could try a HD4650, but youll lose SLI.

Timop

Distinguished
Though technically possible, you dont have much options. Nvidia switched to Type HE cards with additional power for the 8800GT series IIRC, while your laptop uses MXM type III.

You could try a HD4650, but youll lose SLI.

Solution

ciccone

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the response "timop" :)

So I would need to be looking at MXM type III cards?

On the hierarchy scale where does the HD4650 sit amongst its competitors?

ciccone

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Ok so if the only option I have is the 8700 series, if I were to upgrade to this card, the question is will I be able to run Starcraft 2 at full settings?

I can see that to purchase the card on Ebay it can run me anywhere from $200-260. So just want to make sure before I purchase that the card will be able to handle SC2 at full. Thanks!

ciccone

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

So what are the options for video cards that are compatible with my laptop that will be able to run Starcraft 2 on Ultra or near ultra settings?

ciccone

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

I hear ya "a7xfire", so basically there is no way to upgrade my video card to actually achieve a good enough setup to run SC2? I feel :(

Status
Not open for further replies.