Sign in with
Your question

CPU and Device Manager

Last response: in CPUs
November 3, 2004 1:31:07 AM

Guys,

I just noticed that my CPU is reported by Win XP SP-2 twice as in when I click the + next to "Processors" in Device Manager I have two identical CPUs listed there. What's the deal with that?

Another question, is what is the Maximum Temperature for P-4 3.0 GHz w/512 Mb L2 Cache with Hyper-Threading?

Thanks

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

More about : cpu device manager

November 3, 2004 5:04:37 AM

Hyper Threading Most likely

Max temp = infinite, ir if u can make it reach there :wink:

max working temp = say not more than 80 FOR SURE.
65-80 BE CAREFULL
>80 RIP ~ TOAST ~ OWEN :smile:

Thats for prescotts. Maybe reduce it a bit for Northwoods.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/03/04 01:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2004 7:00:47 AM

You mentioned the answer, hyperthreading is 2 logical processors on one physical processor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
November 3, 2004 11:28:29 PM

Thanks, guys

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:
November 3, 2004 11:37:08 PM

Quote:
Thats for prescotts. Maybe reduce it a bit for Northwoods.

Mine is a Northwood. At stock, it idles at around 35-37C and sometimes under load it goes up to 60+ C and my <font color=red>case is open</font color=red>. I think it is too hot. Is this correct?

Now, I know this will make me look stupid but I used the heatsink and fan from my old P-4 2.4A cuz I did not buy the P-4 3 GHz - it fell off the truck. I cleaned everything and used Arctic Silver 5 something hoping it would suffice.

Should I really get a different sink+fan? If so, what would you recommend? (my mobo is ABIT IS7, just in case)

Thanks in advance.

November 3, 2004 11:49:43 PM

Yes, you really should get a new hsf. The P4c chip puts out about 50% more heat than your old P4a. You are lucky you haven't been running throttled the whole time.
Intel chips will automaticly slow down, if they get too hot.
November 4, 2004 1:40:07 AM

Your idle temp is normal. Lap that heatsink and re-install it with AS-5 or like. You have too much difference between idle and load temps. Should be no more that 20C max.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
!