Sign in with
Your question

New IPS monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 25, 2011 11:24:48 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new monitor mainly used for gaming, and photo editing. I've made up my mind to go for an IPS monitor and that gives few alternatives reasonably priced (max 450€ and less better)

For the moment I'm considering Asus PA246Q, Asus PA238Q and Dell 2410U. I do not include HP because my past bad experiences with Spanish support service...

My main concerns are:

- With the Asus Pa246Q is that I've read multiple cases of bright and dead pixels and I'm not sure if Asus Spain will change my screen if I get one of the bad ones.
- With the Dell 2410 is that I've read that the anti glare is too aggressive loosing definition. Is it that bad?
- With the Asus Pa238Q is that the 16x9 format in 23" does not look much larger than my 19" 16-10 to pay 275€...

Which one would you recommend? any experience with Asus in Spain / Europe for replacing dead / bright pixels? Any other alternative screen?

thank you in advance for your help

Nick

More about : ips monitor

September 26, 2011 2:07:41 PM

Asus PA238Q (IPS, $270)
Dell U2311H (IPS, $285)
HP zr24w (IPS, $320)
Dell 2410

any of those 4 are good imo..at a decent price. U2311 seems most popular with gamers...but if you want 24" than zr24w and 2410 are nice as well.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 193 C Monitor
September 26, 2011 3:08:19 PM

All three monitors use different types of IPS panels.

The Asus PA246Q uses a P-IPS panel, which I believe is supposed to have wider color gamut than H-IPS panels. I'm sure there are other technical differences, but I haven't researched much about P-IPS panels since I'm not in the market for a new monitor. I have not followed this particular monitor since it was initially released. I am aware of some inconsistencies regarding this monitor, but I do not know if they have been address or how wide spread it is because people generally post about products when they have a complaint.

The Dell U2410 uses aa H-IPS panel. While there were some issues initially with the 1st version (A0), I believe most of them have been addressed by now. I think they are up to revision A3. Most professional detailed reviews on the web applies to versions A0 or A1.

The Asus PA238Q uses an e-IPS panel which is the most recent IPS panel version and least expensive to manufacture. In general, they are a compromise between a more expensive H-IPS / S-IPS / P-IPS panel and a TN panel.

In essence, an e-IPS panel is a 6-bit panel instead of an 8-bit panel as with other IPS panels. This puts it on the level of a TN panel which is also a 6-bit panel. This affects color accruacy, while it's good enough for the average person, it is not ideal for color critcial work. For hobbyist level photo edit it may be good enough. 6-bit panels can cause color banding issues when there are fine gradiants and can cause other image artifacts that will not show up on an 8-bit panel.

e-IPS panels have wider viewing angles than TN panels, but are not as good as other IPS panels. Viewing angles basically means how much colors then to shift and fade the more off-center you are viewing the screen.

In terms of gaming, the 1st generation of e-IPS panels had response times of 8ms, it seems current e-IPS panels have response times of 6ms (equal to more expensive IPS panel types) which makes it a little more competive against TN panels which are as fast as 2ms. I'm not going to get deep into response times other than to say it is not an exact science and is generally a bit too over-hyped.

Of the three, I would choose the Dell U2410 because it is the most mature monitor with most of the issues worked out.
Related resources
September 26, 2011 11:05:51 PM

Thanks for the comments, I'm getting closer to chose the Dell u2410

Nick
September 26, 2011 11:25:13 PM

Check out the zr24w revision A4... this is the mature Zr24w monitor and now has corrected issues such as the input lag and some major decoloration problems. I'm using it right now and it kicks serious ass. If you're on a budget, get the zr24w and keep the rest of the money for a more powerful GPU. Chances are, you will not be able to differentiate the U2410 from the Zr24w in a gaming environment. In photo editing, the U2410 has a slight to moderate advantage on the zr24w by showing a wide gamut palette while the Zr is a sRBG palette (standard gamut). Anyway, it's your choice : Photo-editing => U2410, Gaming => Zr24W + more powerful card.

Happy shopping ; )
!