Help with my Pinball Wish List

For better or worse, listed below, in no particular order, are the pins
I would like to have for my home collection. Knowing that I have
neither the room nor the funds for all of them I would like to choose
only five which would provide a well rounded group of games that would
satisfy pin afficianados, rank amateurs and kids. Knowing that most
anyone here would have more knowledge of the pins on this list than I
would, I would appreciate any input as to which five would serve me
best. Although I know many might not agree with the list I would like
the choices to come from my list. Of course if there is some GLARING
ommission from my list that I should consider that would be fine also.
Thanks.

Attack from Mars
Twilight Zone
Cirqus Voltaire
Funhouse
Monster Bash
Creature FTBL
Indiana Jones
Medieval Madness
Fish Tales
Lord of the Rings
Theatre of Magic
Highs Speed II (Getaway)

Since he's got funhouse on there, he should explore some of the earlier
ones. (Obviously not wanting only DMD games)

True pin afficiandos will appreciate any game that's set up properly
and tuned to play nice. Throw some Gottlieb's in there like Cue Ball
Wizard.

You're missing some very entertaining pins by limiting yourself to only WPC
titles

Whirlwind, for example, is quite good.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net> wrote in message
> For better or worse, listed below, in no particular order, are the pins
> I would like to have for my home collection. Knowing that I have
> neither the room nor the funds for all of them I would like to choose
> only five which would provide a well rounded group of games that would
> satisfy pin afficianados, rank amateurs and kids. Knowing that most
> anyone here would have more knowledge of the pins on this list than I
> would, I would appreciate any input as to which five would serve me
> best. Although I know many might not agree with the list I would like
> the choices to come from my list. Of course if there is some GLARING
> ommission from my list that I should consider that would be fine also.
> Thanks.
>
> Attack from Mars
> Twilight Zone
> Cirqus Voltaire
> Funhouse
> Monster Bash
> Creature FTBL
> Indiana Jones
> Medieval Madness
> Fish Tales
> Lord of the Rings
> Theatre of Magic
> Highs Speed II (Getaway)

Just curious- what kind of condition are you looking for on these?

"Fixxer uppers/as-is"? Something you can clean up, repair, restore on your
own?
"Fully restored/warranted"? Something you don't have to worry about working
on or fixing before you play?

etc?

All games on your wish list are in the "used" market at this point (with
exception of LOTR which should be available in a new run again in a month or
two), so condition will vary (as will price) depending on what you're
actually looking for.

Just wondering- I've talked to a lot of customers in the last week or two
that for whatever reason haven't considered or realized that condition is
always a factor on used games. If you compare buying a used pin to buying a
used car, it all sort of makes more sense- price, condition, mileage, care,
upkeep, neglect, etc. I usually suggest that analogy when shopping for a
game- sort of puts things into better perspective.

Good luck with your search! And your gameroom!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
> Just curious- what kind of condition are you looking for on these?
>
> "Fixxer uppers/as-is"? Something you can clean up, repair, restore on your
> own?
> "Fully restored/warranted"? Something you don't have to worry about working
> on or fixing before you play?
>
> etc?
>
> All games on your wish list are in the "used" market at this point (with
> exception of LOTR which should be available in a new run again in a month or
> two), so condition will vary (as will price) depending on what you're
> actually looking for.
>
> Just wondering- I've talked to a lot of customers in the last week or two
> that for whatever reason haven't considered or realized that condition is
> always a factor on used games. If you compare buying a used pin to buying a
> used car, it all sort of makes more sense- price, condition, mileage, care,
> upkeep, neglect, etc. I usually suggest that analogy when shopping for a
> game- sort of puts things into better perspective.
>
> Good luck with your search! And your gameroom!
>
> Ray J.
> --

Unfortunately for me at this point I have to go the "already restored"
route as I don't have the knowledge or ability to take a game and
return it to its former glory. Based on my personality though I would
imagine that after having a few pins I will eventually evolve to the
point where I could take an "as is" or "fixer upper" machine and
restore it myself.

My problem is where and who to buy these pins from. I've done a lot of
investigating and have spoken with lots of people in the retail and
collector's groups but still have yet to pull the trigger on anything.
I feel pretty comfortable with my list and actually could consider a
few others that I didn't list but haven't heard from many (so far) as
to any potetially great games that I am overlooking and should be in my
"top 5".

Regarding Funhouse, I list that game because I'd like to have it. Pure
and simple. It has no other indication attached to it as to what eras
or types of pins I gravitate to. In fact I would prefer a good blend
in my gameroom, some fast games, some pure fun games, some kid
enjoyable games, some "thinking man" games, etc. That was the intent
of my post which was to get some input in putting together a group of
five pins that would cover all the bases. Haven't had any replies yet
in that regard though I would still appreciate some.

<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote:
> Since he's got funhouse on there, he should explore some of the earlier
> ones. (Obviously not wanting only DMD games)
<snip>

I don't know that it's such a question of "age" or "era"- for example, just
because "Funhouse" is on the list doesn't mean he should restrict his
collection to late 1980's Williams games. But it may depend on his actual
preference- I'm sort of a late 70's/early 80's Williams guy myself, but I do
have a few games that aren't in that category.

If one likes Funhouse (who doesn't?), then one might consider going after
games that have similar themes or similar playfield design. Funhouse is Pat
Lawlor- a lot of Pat's classic designs in this game that are found in many
of his other games- the upper single flipper, outcropping of "stuff" on one
side of the playfield midway up (Superdog targets, loop/orbit shot through
bumpers), etc. For similarities to Funhouse, you can go with Whirlwind,
Addams, Twilight, Monopoly, NGG, RCT, and more.

Or if you like ST:TNG you may want to go after more challenging games in
sense of play- fast-paced Steve Ritchie stuff. Getaway is good. No Fear,
T2, etc.

We get a lot of people that come through our showroom that are unfamilliar
with pins but just ask, "What's a good game to buy?", or "I've heard Addams
Family is good- we want that one." (I'd wager 3 out of 4 people that come
in asking for an Addams Family have never seen or played the game...)

I always tell them to go with what appeals to them- whether it's popular or
not. Your personal preference or what appeals to you in a game's design (or
what keeps you coming back game after game) is what you should be led by in
your search- that is what will make a game a "keeper" in the long run. Hard
to regret your purchase if you go with what you really like deep-down.

I speak from experience- I used to collect games that were only popular
(Capt Fantastic, Fireball, OXO, Wizard, TZ, Addams, AFM, MM, IJ, etc.- you
know the list...) but actually ended up not playing a lot of them. They
just didn't stick with me as far as my preference went - or what appealed to
me in a game (themes, colors, sound, light effects, etc). So sold off the
ones that were collecting dust, and kept the ones I really enjoyed- some
popular, some considered "dogs". But over the years I have honed a pretty
well rounded collection, IMHO, as a result- a collection that *I* like/want,
and that appeals to me personally.

I try to convey this concept to a lot of customers that come through our
shop but sadly we still get/have a few that only go after the few games that
are currently on "The Top 10 Hot List" (the list I could probably recite in
my sleep) despite whether they like the game or not. People who had a
friend tell them a game is "hot" so they buy it on that merit alone. But
different strokes for different folks. Personally, I've found that I get a
lot more out of pinball as a whole, if I go with what personally attracts me
to a game, and keeps me coming back- despite the popularity of the game
itself.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

bill

I think of my collection as "well rounded" but thats only because they
all appeal to me. Your tastes may be totally different. I have three on
your list and all enjoyable "keepers" Here's my collection:

TZ deep ruleset love the theme
ToM nice flow great looking
HS2 fast
Strange Science Great art
Black Knight 2000 Great Playfield well integrated game
Batman Forever Easy and kids love it

Bill

pt

Your list is basically DMD's, so that says something to me. Five is
not enough to have a 'novelty' game from the pre-DMD era that you will
probably never play. Let Funhouse suffice for the non-DMD game.

AFM (or MM)
CFTBL
Funhouse (or TZ)
IJ.
LOTR

You might want to add White Water to your list of considered games.
Its a lot of fun and relatively cheap still.

Good luck

> satisfy pin afficianados, rank amateurs and kids.

Let us assume that most afficiandaos are statisfied with any of the
games on your list. That leaves ameteurs, and kids. Here are six that
are very popular at house parties, and rarely sit idle for extended
periods.

in order of observed popularity:

> Monster Bash
> Medieval Madness
> Theatre of Magic
> Cirqus Voltaire
> Twilight Zone
> Funhouse (Rudy can be a love it or hate it to guest)

Good luck hunting.

My brief opinions on your listed games:

-Attack from Mars : I like this game ok, but the playfield-dominating
saucer shot in the middle gets old for me pretty quick. Strictly
average. Plenty of depth.

-Twilight Zone : Hated this game when it was on location. Love it in my
house and will try to keep it forever. Great depth.

-Cirqus Voltaire : Do not like this game at all.

-Funhouse : Great game. Great integration of theme into gameplay. One
of the best. Depth doesn't matter.

-Monster Bash : I really want to like this game and love playing it
when it works right, but so often the scoop ejects a drain and the
right loop is impossible because of the drac-track, drac doesn't
register hits, frankenstein won't go up and down right... I like it
though when everything's 100%. Fairly shallow.

-Creature FTBL : IMO, Trudeau's best. Another extremely well integrated
theme. Simple rules but challenging at the same time and just fun to
run through the playing options. Fairly shallow.

-Indiana Jones : I didn't care for this game much when it was on
location and having it in the game room has only warmed me up to it
slightly. Plenty of depth.

-Medieval Madness : Very good game. Above average in almost every
respect. Plenty of depth.

-Fish Tales : I never really warmed up to this one either, both because
it's fairly shallow and the huge ramps/captive ball assembly in the
middle of the field. It is executed pretty well and plays ok, but that
design just leaves me flat. The theme is a bore for me as well. Still,
I would buy one at a good price.

-Lord of the Rings : The name of the game is depth. No gimmes here, and
no lighthearted humor. Inspired rules and shot distribution redefines
the term "modern pinball", as everything else (except SPParty) seems
instantly outdated. Crazy difficult but crazy fun as well.

-Theatre of Magic : Decent game for novices. After a little experience
it looses most of it's lustre and gets tiresome. Fairly shallow.

-Highs Speed II (Getaway) : Not quite as much fun pinball play as it's
predecessor, still a very fun, fast-paced game. Fairly shallow, but the
rules don't slow the game down any and that's what this one is all
about. It's called High Speed for a reason!

There's lots of other games that would be just as fun or more as the
ones listed, so try not to spend too much so if it turns out you don't
like the game you can resell it and have most of the purchase price for
a different title. The older games were good enough to keep the
industry alive until today...:)

-cody
CARGPB#4