SP2 and MN-720 - Do we know what the problem is?

I have a MN-700 / 720 / and 730 setup. The 730 desktop
works fine after the SP2 upgrade. the 730 which worked
fine before, does not. Latest software downloaded from
MSBN on all. I have tried the different solutions I have
seen here (roll back driver; install latest driver;
uninstall MBNU, etc. but no luck. Insert card, slow
blinking light on the 730.

Is the compatibility item known?

Thanks,
CW
12
answers
Last reply
More about problem

    Now the mystery deepens. I uninstalled MSBN software on
    the laptop again, still did not work. Changed the channel
    on the MN-700, and poof! the 730 on my laptop is working
    fine -- BUT -- now the 720 on the desktop is not working!
    When I change the channel back to the original channel on
    the base station, 720 works, 730 does not.... Can there
    only be one wireless connection at a time? Is the
    wireless network setup on the periferals channel
    specific?

    Thanks for any assistance!
    CW

    what firmware is in the MN700? have you updated it? This sounds like
    an issue that was fixed with the latest firmware.

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:03:45 -0700, "Charles W"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I have the latest firmware installed - I believe it is
    2.1.2.590 (just redownloaded the MSBNdownload and it also
    says it is up to date). The computers are in the same
    room, and I can watch the connection drop on one and
    connect on the other by changing the channel on the
    router. One comes online, and the other will drop.
    Which ever is active, I get an excellent connection, and
    it will stay good for days until I change the channel
    again :( The inactive one will not connect - have tried
    to set up new network connections, etc.

    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    CW

    Barb,

    I am having the same problem. I also have a few more
    pieces of information to hopefully help diagnose the
    problem.

    First, not only can I not connect with the 720's, they
    don't even see an available network.

    Second, I have several messages from the Event Viewer
    under Security. They are as follows:

    Source: Security
    Category: Policy Change
    Type: Failure Audit
    Event ID: 615
    User: NT Authority/Network Service
    Desc: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of
    network interfaces on the machine. ... Please run IPSec
    Monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

    These two messages always appear in tandem.

    Source: Security
    Category: Account Login
    Type: Failure Audit
    Event ID: 680
    User: NT Authority/System
    Desc:
    Logon Attempt By: Microsoft Authentication_Package_V1_0
    Logon Account: Owner (Set up by me - all rights)
    Source Workstation: PREKWKS1 (The workstation name setup
    by me)
    Error Code: 0xC000006A

    Source: Security
    Category: Logon/Logoff
    Type: Failure Audit
    Event ID: 529
    User: NT Authority/System
    Desc:
    Logon Failure:
    Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
    User Name: Owner
    Domain: PREKWKS1 (THIS IS THE WORKSTATION
    NAME...THERE IS NO DOMAIN, ONLY A WORKGROUP NAME)
    Logon Type: 2
    Logon Process: ADVAPI
    Authentication Package: Negotiate
    Workstation Name: PREKWKS1

    I hope this info helps to resolve this very frustrating
    problem. Please let me know if there is any additional
    information I can supply. I am more than glad to do the
    research.

    Thanks in advance...Gary

    can you uninstall the BNU on both XP computers. then can you reset the
    MN700. set it up again from a web browser by going to
    http://192.168.2.1

    if this continues to happen, can you grab a copy of the log and paste
    it in here?

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:40:18 -0700, "Charles W."

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Are you shutting down your MN 700 and turning it on when you need it?
    Are you attempting to use 802.1x authentication with WEP without a
    radius authentication server (check your wireless settings)? Can you
    uninstall the MSBBN utility? Are you using the newer drivers for the
    720's that were in the update package with the firmware for the MN700?

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:24:07 -0700, "Gary Kmetz"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I updated all drivers to the latest version, unintalled
    MSBBN utility on all computers. Set everything backup
    from scratch - did not specify a SSID, so it used MSHOME
    (from my ethernet connected computer?) channel defaulted
    to 6 -left it that way for channel and SSID. Set both
    wireless computers up without security - both connected
    well - then went to WEP, both seemed to work well -
    switched to WPA, both seemed to work well, for about four
    or so hours. Now back to same issue - one will connect,
    but not both.

    CW

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    log into the base station from a web browser by going to 192.168.2.1
    change the default client lease time to two weeks
    change the SSID to something personal instread of MSHOME
    try channel 11

    while you are logged in, please copy the firmware version displayed
    and paste it into a reply

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:41:41 -0700, "Charles W."

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    The default lease was already set to two weeks - I
    changed it long ago, before I had pressed the reset
    button to start over. Changed the SSID to "test",
    channel changed to 11. Still one wireless connection
    will work, the other one does not.

    The firmware is as follows:

    Base station information

    Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
    Boot code version: 02.01.02.0590
    LAN MAC address: 00-0D-3A-27-56-0D
    MAC address: 00-0D-3A-27-56-0C
    Serial number: 468090415434
    Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    can you please update the drivers for the 720's. there are new drivers
    in the download package.

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:54:33 -0700, "Charles W."

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I downloaded the latest version of MSBN download - the mn-
    720 driver that I had before and after is 3.60.7.0, dated
    3/22/04. The 720 wireless light continues to flash
    slowly, but no connection

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    can you confirm that if only one computer is powered on that you can
    stay connected indefinitely?

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:48:29 -0700, "charles W"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Networking