SP2 and MN-720 - Do we know what the problem is?

I have a MN-700 / 720 / and 730 setup. The 730 desktop
works fine after the SP2 upgrade. the 730 which worked
fine before, does not. Latest software downloaded from
MSBN on all. I have tried the different solutions I have
seen here (roll back driver; install latest driver;
uninstall MBNU, etc. but no luck. Insert card, slow
blinking light on the 730.

Is the compatibility item known?

Thanks,
CW

Now the mystery deepens. I uninstalled MSBN software on
the laptop again, still did not work. Changed the channel
on the MN-700, and poof! the 730 on my laptop is working
fine -- BUT -- now the 720 on the desktop is not working!
When I change the channel back to the original channel on
the base station, 720 works, 730 does not.... Can there
only be one wireless connection at a time? Is the
wireless network setup on the periferals channel
specific?

Thanks for any assistance!
CW

what firmware is in the MN700? have you updated it? This sounds like
an issue that was fixed with the latest firmware.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:03:45 -0700, "Charles W"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I have the latest firmware installed - I believe it is
2.1.2.590 (just redownloaded the MSBNdownload and it also
says it is up to date). The computers are in the same
room, and I can watch the connection drop on one and
connect on the other by changing the channel on the
router. One comes online, and the other will drop.
Which ever is active, I get an excellent connection, and
it will stay good for days until I change the channel
again :( The inactive one will not connect - have tried
to set up new network connections, etc.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
CW

Barb,

I am having the same problem. I also have a few more
pieces of information to hopefully help diagnose the
problem.

First, not only can I not connect with the 720's, they
don't even see an available network.

Second, I have several messages from the Event Viewer
under Security. They are as follows:

Source: Security
Category: Policy Change
Type: Failure Audit
Event ID: 615
User: NT Authority/Network Service
Desc: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of
network interfaces on the machine. ... Please run IPSec
Monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

These two messages always appear in tandem.

Source: Security
Category: Account Login
Type: Failure Audit
Event ID: 680
User: NT Authority/System
Desc:
Logon Attempt By: Microsoft Authentication_Package_V1_0
Logon Account: Owner (Set up by me - all rights)
Source Workstation: PREKWKS1 (The workstation name setup
by me)
Error Code: 0xC000006A

Source: Security
Category: Logon/Logoff
Type: Failure Audit
Event ID: 529
User: NT Authority/System
Desc:
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: Owner
Domain: PREKWKS1 (THIS IS THE WORKSTATION
NAME...THERE IS NO DOMAIN, ONLY A WORKGROUP NAME)
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: ADVAPI
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name: PREKWKS1

I hope this info helps to resolve this very frustrating
problem. Please let me know if there is any additional
information I can supply. I am more than glad to do the
research.

Thanks in advance...Gary

can you uninstall the BNU on both XP computers. then can you reset the
MN700. set it up again from a web browser by going to
http://192.168.2.1

if this continues to happen, can you grab a copy of the log and paste
it in here?

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:40:18 -0700, "Charles W."

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Are you shutting down your MN 700 and turning it on when you need it?
Are you attempting to use 802.1x authentication with WEP without a
radius authentication server (check your wireless settings)? Can you
uninstall the MSBBN utility? Are you using the newer drivers for the
720's that were in the update package with the firmware for the MN700?

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:24:07 -0700, "Gary Kmetz"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I updated all drivers to the latest version, unintalled
MSBBN utility on all computers. Set everything backup
from scratch - did not specify a SSID, so it used MSHOME
(from my ethernet connected computer?) channel defaulted
to 6 -left it that way for channel and SSID. Set both
wireless computers up without security - both connected
well - then went to WEP, both seemed to work well -
switched to WPA, both seemed to work well, for about four
or so hours. Now back to same issue - one will connect,
but not both.

CW

log into the base station from a web browser by going to 192.168.2.1
change the default client lease time to two weeks
change the SSID to something personal instread of MSHOME
try channel 11

while you are logged in, please copy the firmware version displayed
and paste it into a reply

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:41:41 -0700, "Charles W."

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

The default lease was already set to two weeks - I
changed it long ago, before I had pressed the reset
button to start over. Changed the SSID to "test",
channel changed to 11. Still one wireless connection
will work, the other one does not.

The firmware is as follows:

Base station information

Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
Boot code version: 02.01.02.0590
LAN MAC address: 00-0D-3A-27-56-0D
MAC address: 00-0D-3A-27-56-0C
Serial number: 468090415434
Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

can you please update the drivers for the 720's. there are new drivers
in the download package.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:54:33 -0700, "Charles W."

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I downloaded the latest version of MSBN download - the mn-
720 driver that I had before and after is 3.60.7.0, dated
3/22/04. The 720 wireless light continues to flash
slowly, but no connection

can you confirm that if only one computer is powered on that you can
stay connected indefinitely?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:48:29 -0700, "charles W"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist