win xp or me won't work!!

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hello, just installed new mobo.formatted hd,but now when in setup it only goes as far as: Please wait to init....,Scanning disk, Copying files needed for win setup----------------------then it just hangs..........any ideas...only new item was mobo, everything else was the same.

" if only... I could just.... "tweak" it..... a bit more......oooops!"

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
I'm the junior classman around here,but if all you installed was a new motherboard,why do the o.s. re-install?..Just asking........:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
i was told that it's the best way to go......drivers and all.....

cool_xo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002
Could it be your winXP CD is scatched? .... so it failed to copy files into the HD??

Or you accidently killed ur HD while u were installing it, so it can copy files to it??

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Since he said XP,or ME wouldn't work,wonder if that means he tried two different cd's?.:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vetplus40 on 10/27/02 10:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yes, you need to do a fresh install when you install a new mobo, good.

You might be overheating. Double check that.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
could be dodgy ram, seen this loads of time, had a sys before ran win98 for ages, wouldnti sntall 2k tho, turned out to be ram prob tho the ram had been running for years(got missing files etc)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
actually, yes i tried them both;but turns out my hd crapped out at the same time(coincidence???),so i plunked in a spare (re:1996 big ass 2.8-----wooooooo!) and she installed perfectly. thanks for all the sugg. though!!!!!