Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got a free IBM netfinity 3500. It old and slow but works. It has 192mb SDram with 1 p2 333 and a SCSI 4.3gb harddrive. I want to know, to add a second CPU(yes it is dual slot 1 LX motherboard) do the stepping codeds have to be the same I can not seem to find a match the to one I have. I can get a second one for $10.00 Also can celerons be used in dual slot motherboards. I have 2 cel 333 that are the same stepping but It will not post when I put the 2 in. I flashed the bios with the most current IBM has.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Celerons do not have dual cpu capability.
You need 2 identical cpus.
You can get P2 333 cpus off ebay for dirt cheap.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They don't have to be an exact match, they do need to be the same speed.

What the last guy said is not exactly true, early Celerons (PPGA, not Copperine/FC-PGA) could be used in a dual configuration. I believe it requires a dual-CPU compatable early Celeron adapter. You could do 2x512MHz Celerons using the appropriate adapter, but good luck finding them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I thought the older celerons could only work in a dual cpu config if they were modded. Their cores were very simmilar to the PII core so ppl modded them to work in dual. I don't know about newer celerons.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The mod can be done on a Socket 370 to Slot 1 adapter card. Many older cards employed that mod. None of the FC-PGA Celerons were capable, just the earlier ones. The split was 533MHz, where both cores were available, faster ones weren't capable while slower ones were.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried the 2 slot 1 celeron 333 I have it did not post. It will post with only 1. So as long as I get a PII 333 the stepping does not matter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As far as I know any PII 333 will work in the second slot.

About Celerons, if you wanted to try a pair of those you'd be best off using two Socket 370 versions on 2 Slot-1 adapter cards that are designed for the purpose. I guess you could modify the regular Slot-1 version, but I don't know how.

Of course a pair of Celeron 500's would be faster, but a pair of PII 333's would be far easier.