Sign in with
Your question

Northwood or Prescott better for overclocking?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Asus
Last response: in CPUs
November 4, 2004 12:39:35 AM

Ive got an abit ic7 max3 and a asus p4p800e deluxe, i also have a prescott 3.0 and a northwood 3.0.. which should i use with which board? and which one will overclock better, i have pc4000 ram for both.

More about : northwood prescott overclocking

November 4, 2004 1:08:19 AM

im no guru, but if im not mistaken the abit will o/c better because they are manufacturd to allow o/cing.

Homer: (crying) ahhh i dont remember the last time i cried like this!
Lisa: When u put ur shirt on backwards
Homer: (crying) o ya, (crying) the tag chafed my skin (crying)
November 4, 2004 1:24:06 AM

Put the Northwood on the ASUS and the Scottie on the ABIT. A hot running board like the IC7 deserves a hot chip like Scottie. Best O/C will depend on cooling, power supply, and luck. "Are you feeling lucky, punk?" :lol: 

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2004 2:15:43 AM

I've never seen a P4P800E Deluxe, got a link?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 4, 2004 4:24:12 AM

The asus Board is a good one for ocing, my bro oced his 2.4 up to a 3.2 on it, so its for sure good, but i will take your advice and use the abit with the prescott
November 4, 2004 6:13:43 AM

Abit Motherboard has the design of 4-phase power,It worked more steadily.Asus P4P800 has the tech named "AI",can be o/ced intellegently.Both the two boards need good coolers.There is only luck when you tried to o/c.You can also try the tip cooler--Liquid He.
November 4, 2004 10:37:42 AM

Crash, it's the P4P800's new incarnation. Upped the sound chip(6.1 to 7.1 if I remember right) and put a new promise raid chip on in place of the old one. INstead of 2 pata connectors, it now has one pata and either 1 or 2 sata connectors, and can use sata and pata in same array.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2004 12:23:33 AM

Looks good!

I'll tell you what, have Asus send me one for a review and I'll put it up against my P4I875P v1.0 to see if the lower price means greater value.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 5, 2004 1:14:10 AM

Hmm, I thought the mosfets, and pi filter still looked kind of weak. The IS7 is a better board, though I to would take one if it were free.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2004 1:41:56 AM

I cannot judge the strengths nor weaknesses of the board until I have it in my system.

November 5, 2004 2:24:32 AM

lol i dont know if id trust u sending new components to u without any signed documents :lol: 

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2004 2:43:56 AM

Why, do you work for a hardware manufacturer?

Most of my parts have come through our main office, but several companies have sent me parts directly, those include Hitachi, Seagate, Samsung, and Crucial.

November 5, 2004 10:20:37 AM

hmm i would have never guessed that :) .

im really not a trusting person, so i wouldnt trust u nor anybody else that i didnt know. sey i didnt mean to rule u out as a person i wouldnt send things to

!