X64 programs running in 32 bit(x86)

Monarchco

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I am having quite a problem.

All games I play, and just about every else runs on 32 bit except for a select few programs.
(taskmgr views them as [program].exe *32 )

This appears to happen with every single application outside of "Program Files", not just the applications within "Program Files (x86)"

Moving everything into "Program files" unfortunately is *NOT* an option for me, as I have no intention of setting up a RAID 0 configuration on my multiple harddrives.

Could I simply create a folder named "Program files" on my other harddrives and put everything in those harddrives under that to fix the problem?

Yes, I am infact running a full desktop.

Also, I recently did a full win7 reinstall due to errors with some registry files. The issue was still happening before the fresh install.

If there is another or simpler fix, it would be greatly appreciated. :(

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
If everything runs as 32 bit ([program].exe *32), it just means that you installed the 32-bit version. Re download 64-bit versions of the applications that you are using. But remember that some applications do not have 64-bit versions & only support 32-bit

I've no idea *how* moving everything into "Program files" is even a solution! Who told you that?!
And AFIAK setting up raid has absolutely nothing to with this

Monarchco

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
lol, the raid and program files parts were me fishing in the dark.

Anyways, shouldnt a game off a disk which has a 64 bit version automatically install the 64 bit than and run off that?

So not just downloaded software and games, but also games off disk are running full 32 bit.

Here's an example:

NFS Most Wanted ive confirmed has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

I own the disk for it, and have installed directly from disk.

The game still runs in 32 bit reguardless.

Could this be some sort of detection issue where windows appears to be 32 bit to Windows Installer and other such installers?

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
While downloading software make sure you are downloading the 64-bit version. There is always a separate link.
Although I've seen a few applications come packed with both versions an automatically install the correct version...

As for games try running corresponding .exe file from the "Program files" folder.
Just modify the shortcut.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This is not an issue at all.
The games say they support 64-bit operating systems, by that they mean they will run their 32-bit code properly.

The only game that I know of that has a 64-bit executable was Crysis 1.
Unless a program needs more than 4GB of RAM to be addressed, there is no point in having it as a native 64-bit application.

There is no "detection issue" going on here, and there is also nothing to be concerned about.

Perhaps in the future when we get more complicated games, they will start releasing native 64-bit applications.
Currently as far as I know, Star Citizen will be the first game that is 64-bit Exclusive.

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

This should clear it up!!

I didn't knew that there were so few games that can run 64-bit natively.
I use Win7-32bit and the only game I ever installed on 64-bit windows(friend's PC) was Crysis!! :lol:

Monarchco

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Thank you much for all your input.

EA has also announced around mid 2013, all of their games will be native x64.

Anyways, thanks for the help :) (And the odd fact that microsoft has the microsoft games such as solitaire build as x64)

jasonkaler

Distinguished

Why do people think 64bit is only about RAM?
The same code simply re-compiled for x64 can run up to 50% faster, even if it doesn't use the extra RAM.

Monarchco

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

So than a larger amount of games should be x64?

And correction to Azathoth, I know personally that Far cry 3, Hitman Absolution, and Prototype 2 are full 64 bit, and run as so on my system(sort of a tell when each is for some reason going north of 4gb ram.... even though simular games have no such need for that much ram, but have far more complexity.)

Still, I dug more, and my previous example, Need for Speed Most Wanted(2012), does have 64x bit version that is supposed to install.

So back to my question along with that, could windows installer be detecting wrong?

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

like I said try running the corresponding exe present in the "Program files" folder
When I installed Crysis on my friend's pc it installed both 32bit[in Program files(x86)] and 64bit[Program files] version, although it could have installed only the 64 bit ver.
Well it did help considering that the 64 bit ver didn't run :kaola: but that's not the point of this post.
Check both folders and (try to)run the one from the Program files folder

Monarchco

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I have nothing installed into "Program files" directly, almost all of my programs are on my other harddrive.

a lot of my 32 bit aux programs like steam, origin, setup compilers, recording programs, etc, are held on my main drive under 32 bit dir.

So could it possibly be that the installers are not installing into "Program files"? and are all being manually redirected to other folders.

The only games I have that are running 64bit that I know of, are the pre-installed microsoft games: (solitair, minesweeper, etc)

So im most positive there is some issue somewhere.

I also believe that by installing Steam into x86 files, it has now installed all steam games as 32 bit -.-

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Do you manually change the installation folder while installing the games?
Like instead of using the same Windows drive (usually C:) to something else?
If so check in that folder.

I have never used steam, so I don't have much idea how it works...
Maybe the games themselves are only 32 bit?

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I cross-checked.
Steam is available only as 32-bit. So I'm assuming that all games on steam are also 32-bit...

You misunderstood...
I want to know if you left the installer settings to default during installation, or if you make changes in install path/location?
Left to default...the 32-bit go into "Program files (x86)" folder while 64-bit go to "Program Files".
Try fresh installing a 64-bit game like Crysis-that's the only one I know for sure has a 64-bit exe.
DON'T meddle with the settings
After you install Crysis, go to
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin64
and run Crysis.exe

about other programs
Did you try installing their 64-bit versions?