Question about AMD 64

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Just received my new AMD 64 3000+ from Newegg :) This is the retail version, came with heatsink and fan. It didn't come with any thermal paste, but I think it came with a piece of thermal tape on the bottom of the fan. I didn't get a change to open the fan itself and see. I'm new to system building. So, to anyone who has bought a retail AMD 64, do I need to purchase thermal paste, or is everything I need there already?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Thermal paste would be better, but the tape stuff will do - if you're not ocing any. If you get paste (my mobo came with paste - maybe yours did too?), be sure to really clean off the tape before you paste it.

Mike.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Thermal tape is fine

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
I might be wrong on this but I was sure that mine came with thermal past right on the hsf already covered by a piece of plastic.

endyen

Splendid
Mine to. I dont think the A64s have the old tape, but there is a glob of thermal compound under a bit of scotch tape on the hsf.
If you are using that, take the scotch tape off first.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thermal Interface material, it's basically the same thing as Paste except that it softens under heat, rather than going on liquid.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>