Sign in with
Your question

Question about AMD 64

Last response: in CPUs
November 4, 2004 7:12:36 PM

Just received my new AMD 64 3000+ from Newegg :)  This is the retail version, came with heatsink and fan. It didn't come with any thermal paste, but I think it came with a piece of thermal tape on the bottom of the fan. I didn't get a change to open the fan itself and see. I'm new to system building. So, to anyone who has bought a retail AMD 64, do I need to purchase thermal paste, or is everything I need there already?

More about : question amd

November 4, 2004 7:17:25 PM

Thermal paste would be better, but the tape stuff will do - if you're not ocing any. If you get paste (my mobo came with paste - maybe yours did too?), be sure to really clean off the tape before you paste it.

Mike.
Related resources
November 4, 2004 9:28:05 PM

I might be wrong on this but I was sure that mine came with thermal past right on the hsf already covered by a piece of plastic.
November 4, 2004 11:09:50 PM

Mine to. I dont think the A64s have the old tape, but there is a glob of thermal compound under a bit of scotch tape on the hsf.
If you are using that, take the scotch tape off first.
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2004 11:11:26 PM

Thermal Interface material, it's basically the same thing as Paste except that it softens under heat, rather than going on liquid.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!