Sign in with
Your question

My first system! Any final thoughts?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2004 3:04:54 PM

Team THG! How about your final thoughts and comments before I begin putting my first system together. For someone new, this is an overwhelming project to say the least. I hope that all of you will contribute your POSITIVE thoughts and suggestions. I don't want to screw this up. Thanks for your help!

(1) Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Tower
(2) Thermaltake Dual fan 480W PSU (XP-P4 Approved)
(3) Pick from one pair of these
512MB RAM 2x256 DDR 500 PC-4000 XMS Twins
or 512MB RAM 2x256 DDR 400 PC-3200 XMS Twins
(4) Intel P4 socket 478 3.0E 800FSB 1MB L2 Cashe
(5) ATI ALL-IN-Wonder 9600XT 8X AGP 128MB DDR
(6) SOYO P4I875P DRAGON 2 VER 1.0

Let me know if I am leaving something out or you need more info. I could use some input on operating systems. I currently have Windows 2000 Pro from another unit, but was planning on getting one of the XP versions for this system. Also I had planned on starting out with a couple of Hard drives that I already had. They are both IDE ATA/133 one is a 120 GB Maxtor the other is a 30GB Western Digital. I know there are better options and I plan on doing something about that shortly. That is all I can think of for now. BOMBS AWAY!

VERY IMPORTANT! I should have originally stated that I already have this equipment.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mozzartusm on 11/05/04 01:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : system final thoughts

November 5, 2004 3:09:57 PM

How about going in for an AMD 64 system.
How about Crucual Ballistix memory with EOLPROMO as code to get 4% off.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
November 5, 2004 3:21:26 PM

What do you want to do with the system?

An A64 system would be better for gaming, but if you must get Intel for some reason (a desperate need for HyperThreading being the only reason I could think of :eek:  ), then I would have to recommend getting a Northwood (P4 'C' 800FSB, 512Kb Cache) P4 instead of the P4E (Prescott) chip you have listed, because it draws less power, generates less heat, and comes with a considerably quieter cooler. Also, the Abit IS7 motherboard is generally recognised as the best for a Socket 478 Intel system.

If you're not planning to overclock, then there's no point in buying PC4000 RAM over PC3200 too.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x11 (~2.2Ghz), 1.55 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @400/730
Related resources
November 5, 2004 3:21:39 PM

OK! I guess I should have mentioned that all of this equipment is purchased, paid for, and right here in front of me!
November 5, 2004 3:25:38 PM

no disrespect, but if its already purchased and in front of you, why are you asking us our opinion?

Go for the PC3200 RAM.

And yes, go for an A64 system. Its better :smile:

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:
November 5, 2004 3:25:44 PM

In which case, why not shove all the RAM in together, and run it at PC3200 speeds? :cool: . It's possible it'll give problems running in Dual Channel, but it's worth giving it a go.

I recommend buying a Third-party CPU cooler. The Prescott one is too noisy for my tastes. Alright in an office surrounded by people and printers etc, but for a home system it's whiny.

---
November 5, 2004 3:26:48 PM

I am planning on overclocking. I almost went with the Motherboard that you mentioned, but I couldnt pass up the deal that I got with this one. It had a rebate at the time I bought it. $159.00 - $100.00 rebate = $59.00.
November 5, 2004 3:31:47 PM

Yeh but isnt the IS7 like $85? If you wanna overclock the prescott I would def get a better cooler. The prescott runs hotttttt.
November 5, 2004 3:39:44 PM

Hmm. for overclocking without invalidating your RAM's warranty, you'll have to use the PC4000 stuff.

Personally, I'd still try shoving the whole Gb in there and see how far I can push it. With a little extra VDimm and relaxed timings you might be suprised...

---
November 5, 2004 4:02:56 PM

Don't forget that I said "I am new". There are many other issues for someone like me other than buying and putting parts together.
November 5, 2004 4:09:34 PM

I just noticed your system specs. So you have Corsair and run 2 different speeds of RAM? Does it create any problems? Oh and I could try all of the RAM, but just so everyone understands; I have both sets of RAM because I got them at a good price. I was actually planning on putting one set in another system at a later date
November 5, 2004 4:59:27 PM

Quote:
you have Corsair and run 2 different speeds of RAM? Does it create any problems?

You should be able to run two sets just fine, so long as you stick to the speeds of the slower set.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
November 5, 2004 5:14:24 PM

I have two differently Rated speeds of RAM, yes - They are both running at 200Mhz (PC3200), because that's in synch with the Processors FSB, which gives the best performance.

I had the two 256Mb Sticks first, and wanted to upgrade to 1Gb, so I got the other stick. The reason I got PC4000 was because it wasn't much more money than PC3200, but when I next upgrade my system (to an Athlon 64-based one probably), It'll give me some nice overclocking headroom (I'll buy another 512Mb of similar stuff at the time).

I'm only suggesting you give it a go, because the odds of you causing any permanent damage to either memory or motherboard are pretty much zero, and some RAM overclocks very well. Just remember the golden overclocking rule: Don't try to increase the speed by too much at once, and be patient...

---
November 5, 2004 5:15:33 PM

Hey Slvr - I love your sig by the way... Though I might have told you that before :lol: 

---
November 5, 2004 5:27:22 PM

Thanks. I love it too. :)  That's why I haven't changed it in ages. (Though I am tempted to change it to RTFM.)

Oh, and you forgot the golden rule of Memory Overclocking: Don't go above 2.8v unless you're <b><font color=red>c</font color=red><font color=orange>r</font color=orange><font color=yellow>a</font color=yellow><font color=green>z</font color=green><font color=blue>y</font color=blue> :eek:  </b>.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
November 5, 2004 5:37:31 PM

damn. I was thinking that when I was typing, but obviously had a brainfart or something :lol:  ...

Decided to change my sig.... the system specs thing is <i>so</i> boring... :lol: 

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen
November 5, 2004 5:51:31 PM

Im patient, thats not a problem. Does anyone know of a good link that would tell me all I need to know about preparing a hard drive for a new system? Both of the hard drives that I mentioned are coming out of my old system and they have windows 2k Pro on them. I need to make sure that they are totally clean and set properly for the new system. If it makes any difference, the Western Digital has always benchmarked much faster than the Maxtor.
November 5, 2004 5:57:33 PM

Just format them. There's not much need to do anything else.

If the WD is faster, I'd make that the primary OS drive & install all your more frequently used programs on that one, although 30Gb is getting a bit small these days..

---
November 5, 2004 6:10:03 PM

Yes 30GB by todays standards is small. The good new is that for now it won't matter. I have the 120 Maxtor, and I am going to buy something different in the near future.
Thanks for all the help so far!
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2004 6:20:18 PM

Like I said in the PM:
I'm fairly certain Crucial's Ballistix PC3200 and PC4000 are physically the same thing, using the same chips with the same stringent testing, but the PC4000 is pre-set at CAS 2.5 while the PC3200 is pre-set at CAS 2.0. Since both will run at PC4000 speed using CAS 2.5 (set that way manually for the PC3200), and both will run at CAS 2.0 using PC3200 speed (set that way manually for the PC4000), the big difference here is that the PC4000, by being set at the higher latency, will be easier to set up, especially if you overclock (because you won't need to tamper with the latencies, just the vDIMM).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 5, 2004 6:27:21 PM

You have one HELL of a memory. That PM was at least a couple of weeks ago. My memory is so good that I can hide my on Easter eggs! :smile:
Thanks for reminding me!
November 5, 2004 6:57:00 PM

Quote:
damn. I was thinking that when I was typing, but obviously had a brainfart or something...

It's a friday, which is Latin for 'fried brain'. Yeah. In honor of which, I wrote new lyrics to an old song. (And no, the connection makes no more sense than anything else I'm trying to do today.)

Quote:
Decided to change my sig.... the system specs thing is so boring...

Dram strignat! ... Err ... wait, that was in Thari. Damn straight! :) 

I mean I <i>could</i> have as my sig: Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6GHz NWC @ 3.0GHz passive-cooled, Sapphire Atlantis Ultimate Radeon 9800Pro passive-cooled, 2x512MB Corsair PC4000, Antec Sonata case, super-silent system etc.

I could.

But it'd be a lie. ;) 

And more importantly, it's so <i>boring</i>. Pyromania is better. Pyronecrobotaphilia (witches do it dancing around bonfires) is even better yet.

Err ... back to topic though...

Quote:
although 30Gb is getting a bit small these days

Great, make me feel bad for having only 40GB. :(  Actually, I technically have 80GB, but it's invested into a RAID1 array so that I don't lose my novels if my hard drive crashes. Functionally however... :(  I have hard drive envy. I guess my only consolation is that at this point I'm only using 20GB of that anyway. :o 

And would you believe that six complete novels (some of which are over 90,000 words) in RTF format and zipped will fit on a single 1.44MB floppy?

Oh, and also on that one floppy are another five partial novels, a collection of query letters to literary agents, a couple of TXT files containing notes, and a couple of two-color GIFs of scanned-in maps that I drew?

Who says that floppies are useless! :o 

Why did I just buy that 16x dual-layered DVD burner again? :\ Oh yeah. To back up my piddly hard drive(s) so that I won't have to do complete re-installs of all of my apps if Bad Things Happen. And maybe to make one heck of an mp3 mix CD...

a b à CPUs
November 5, 2004 8:08:44 PM

Hey now, I just expanded my C: partition from 30 to 40GB, and that's only because I do temporary storage of DVD's on my C: partition (permenant storage on another). 30GB is pleanty for your main partition (or main drive), you only need more for storage and you can do that with a second partition (or second drive).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 5, 2004 9:26:57 PM

Hey, I think the old floppy rules! In fact, i heard something just the other day that changed my attitude about the old beast. I asked this person why they had one of those old floppy drives "You know, the ones that really were floppy and over twice the size of the 1.44 floppy that really isnt floppy at all! :eek:  He told me that he keeps the old floppy drive because very few people have one anymore. He said, "Think about it. How many people do you know have one of these drives? If you have sensitive material that you need to keep private it is the ultimate way to do so. So what if someone were to get there hands on the disk. They probably wouldnt be able to read it!" I wonder what this guy is trying to hide?
November 6, 2004 4:45:54 AM

Not far now!
November 7, 2004 1:28:20 AM

I spoke to soon! Things were going fine until I climbed inside my new thermaltake case and started to hook all the case wires up. Thanks for the lack of lables SOYO! When you mix a little OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder) with a lot of wires and a pinch of confusion the result = "I don't know if I am winding my ARSS or SCRATCHING my watch!"
November 7, 2004 4:41:16 PM

Come on guys! Thanks for the input so far, but before I crank this up for the first time it would be nice to have some more input. Nothing in particular, but as many times as all of you have put systems together I know that you must have certain things that you look for or double check before you turn the power on. Here are a few things that I am not sure about.
(1) The paste that is preinstalled on the Intel Processor. I assume that this is what I use if the factory fan and heat sink are going to be used. At least for now.

(2) This may seem trivial! Installing my heatsink and fan scared me. I was afraid that I was going to damage something. It snaped into place, and seems to be solid. Other than something really obvious are there other things I should check.

(3) Memory- I am using two sticks of RAM so that it will run dual mode. The slots are listed as A1,A2 and B1,B2. I populated slots A1,B1. Is this correct for dual channel mode?

*(4) This one I really need advise on. I currently have Windows 2K Pro on my old system. Only XP will run Hyper Threading, correct? If so, which version of XP should I get? I will be needing to do some business applications in the future as well as home networking. Most importantly, Do I buy the full install version or get the upgrade. I have Windows 2K Pro so I could upgrade, but I have read that a full install on a newly formatted drive is much better and less likely to have problems!

Anything other thoughts are welcome! Thanks again!
November 7, 2004 10:10:40 PM

1 - Plug in the 4 prong CPU plug. Make sure the CPU fan is plugged in.

3 - yes. Slots 1 & 3 for dual channel

4 - Get The XPpro or Home upgrade. It will ask you for a previous version, put it in the CD drive, it will verify that it is a previous version, put the XP disk back in and it will load the FULL version from the Upgrade disk. Go to MS Win update for the rest of what you need. XP Home is fine for <5 networked PC's. If you can get an Academic upgrade of XPpro that is the best deal. You need a student ID. I would install everything on a fresh or formatted drive.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
November 8, 2004 1:59:55 AM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain Crucial's Ballistix PC3200 and PC4000 are physically the same thing, using the same chips with the same stringent testing, but the PC4000 is pre-set at CAS 2.5 while the PC3200 is pre-set at CAS 2.0. Since both will run at PC4000 speed using CAS 2.5 (set that way manually for the PC3200), and both will run at CAS 2.0 using PC3200 speed (set that way manually for the PC4000), the big difference here is that the PC4000, by being set at the higher latency, will be easier to set up, especially if you overclock (because you won't need to tamper with the latencies, just the vDIMM).

I wish the same could be said for Corsairs XMS. I have 512MB TwinX PC3200LL. Runs 2-2-2-6 on an IS7 with Gaming enhancement on F1 settings. Then I bought a 1GB dual channel kit of Corsair Pro series PC4000. Problem with this ram is it can't run cas 2.0 at DDR400 speeds, and won't let me use Gaming enhancement at all on the IS7. It does OC higher than the 3200LL did, but really not enough to make me happy considering how pitiful it seems at DDR400. Honestly i wish i had bought 1GB of the PC3200LL in the first place and never bought the PC4000 pro. I don't OC enough on a daily basis to get the most out of it. But in the end, it's easy to find use for the 512MB LL ram, especially for testing/tweaking/benching.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
November 8, 2004 3:39:55 AM

I can get the academic version. I am a student and my college is listed on the XP web page. So it has everything that the regular version has? Are you familiar with buying multiple license? I was wondering if there was a substantial discount, but I wouldnt need over 5 to 10. Not all for myself.
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2004 5:20:05 AM

I'm running 1GB of PC4000 Pro, but that's just because I got it free. I also got the Ballistix PC4000 free, but it's only 512MB :frown:

November 8, 2004 10:13:47 AM

Quote:
I have hard drive envy.

heh. I'll make that worse if you like: I recently re-jigged my hard disks, got 2x80Gb SATA disks and a controller card from work, set up a 160Gb RAID 0 array, and copied my existing 30Gb Disk to it, so I have a 30Gb Primary 'C' partition on the RAID array, another 130Gb Partition with various things on, and another standalone 80Gb disk - 240Gb in total :cool: ... The RAID card I have also supports standard IDE, so I have the single 80Gb drive hooked up to it as well, which frees up the two on-board IDE channels so my optical drives can have one each. They weren't tremendously happy sharing an IDE channel, I kept having to reduce burn speeds to get good copies. Now it's all very happy.

A lot of people say RAID 0 doesn't acheive much, but I've certainly noticed a difference (although the fact the two new drives are 8Mb cache, and my other 80Gb drive is a 2Mb one is probably part of the performance increase).

Quote:
Who says that floppies are useless!

It would be nice to have a standard that was more secure, holds more data and is physically more durable/smaller... minidiscs would be good, but SD cards seem to fit the bill nicely... We just need Windows to allow you to load RAID drivers off them, and then the last use for floppies is gone.... a Minidisc drive that connects to floppy cables would be great! (although AFAIK most BIOSes would have trouble with a floppy > 2.88Mb, though I could of course be wrong)

---
November 8, 2004 11:26:18 AM

In a previous sport that I once enjoyed, when our equipment wasnt performing up to par we had a technique called pressure tuning. Basically you would throw it, kick it, slam it, or any other method that required a lot of force. I am about to lose my mind with this new computer. Has anyone tried this technique with their system?
November 8, 2004 1:50:29 PM

I've been very tempted to try that technique on a number of occasions, but I've always managed not to... Various other pieces of electronic equipment have suffered at my hands, usually terminally, but never something with as much value as my PC.

You having any specific problems now?

---
November 8, 2004 4:49:46 PM

The most specific problem that I have is that I overthink everything. With most people the opposite is true. In other words I spend so much time worrying about things that probably dont matter that I end up fortgetting something that does! Here are a few.
When I hit the power button everything comes on for a couple of seconds then it shuts down as fast and as long(2 seconds) as it took to come on. However after this brief pause, it cranks right on up.
(1) When I look at the system health screen in my bios, should there be any changes occuring in the voltages? Very small! Im about to go fire it up again, I will get some more details. Thanks
November 8, 2004 10:05:23 PM

Free!!! U suck. :tongue:

I paid $170 for the 512MB twinX 3200LL and almost $300 for the PC4000 Pro. Over $450 more than you!

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
November 9, 2004 12:07:04 AM

No multiple licenses with the $84.00 student version. You can network 10 computers but they all have to be running their own dedicated O/S. It's a peer to peer network, not Server 2003.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
November 9, 2004 8:24:15 AM

No idea what's going on at bootup there :eek:  ... are you sure it shuts down, and it's not just altering fan speeds etc (therefore making less noise)?

Very minor Voltage fluctuations are perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry much. If they dip by more than about 5% BELOW their ratings (12V, 5V, 3.3V), then they might cause a problem, but aside from that you're fine.

---
November 9, 2004 1:38:17 PM

$84.00???????? Which version? My school told me 175.00, but now that is the XP pro.
November 9, 2004 1:44:37 PM

No, its shutting down for a couple of seconds at the longest. Lights and everything go off. Unless that happens normally on these new systems? Idont know! It will do fine after It pops bvack on
November 9, 2004 1:53:52 PM

so it does it all by itself? Weird.

Have you accidentally plugged an LED from the front panel into a suspend switch header on the motherboard? Check your front-panel connections, maybe it's something like that.

you could remove all those connections and just momentarily touch a screwdriver to the contacts for the power switch, and see if it still does it then - that would tell you for sure.

---
November 9, 2004 2:33:43 PM

This is possible, but would it kick right back on? Wy wotherboard has a place for a LED that is ACPI. My tower doesnt have a LED marked with this. What is ACPI? Also, my case has a chassis alarm LED, but I dont see a place to hook it up to the motherboard. I just left it unplugged. That isnt the problem is it? On the voltage subject, I watched the voltages in Bios, and the ones that change are only a tenth or so. I think that the problem"Other than the one behind the keyboard" is in the way I am hooking up the hard drive. Or it may be my jumpers, I dont know. One thing that I did improve last night was the mess I had with the wires. It amazes me that things can get so cluttered with these new systems. I spent 2 hours rerouting wires and cables.
November 9, 2004 3:28:08 PM

ACPI is a term which refers to the Power management stuff. (Something like "Advanced Computer Power Interface") Without ACPI you wouldn't be able to turn your computer off from windows, or go into the 'sleep' and 'suspend' type modes.

I've never known a badly installed Hard drive to give that sort of problem, so I doubt it being the Hard disk.

The reason I brought it up is sometimes people wire an LED into the power switch, which can result in a PC which boots up as soon as you plug the power cord in, but then turns itself off after ~4secs (as it seems like someone is holding down the power button). I haven't built any systems that had a jumper to plug in a 'suspend' button though, so I'm just guessing that it might be something like that.

---
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2004 5:03:41 PM

Hey, my identicle board does that too, power up, it poweres down for 1-2 seconds then powers up and acts normally. And it doesn't do that every time either. I don't know what the cause is, but I've isolated it to the board. Since it doesn't seem to affect normal operation, I've ignored it.

November 9, 2004 5:10:40 PM

Ah well, looks like it might just be one of those little quirks that you just live with :eek: 

Remember my Brother once had a PC that would often not boot up at all. if you left it for about 2-5 minutes it would 'warm up' and boot, all by itself.

Was like that for months, and never got any worse :lol: 

---
November 9, 2004 7:54:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I was convinced that I had somthing grounded or hooked up wrong. Thats kind of a weird charteristic for a motherboard isnt it? Tell me this, I have a clean brand new Maxtor hard dirve 60GB ATA/133 HD ($29.00 not bad huh?)that will for now be the only HD in the system. Out of the 4 available ports, which one should I use? The only other devices that I am using are a DVD Burner and a CD ROM "CD ROM is optional" I assume that the HD will need to be in one of the bootable slots alone in CS mode. Also when I format and Partition the Drive, what would you suggest as far as the partitioning goes? Thanks Again! Oh, one other thing. My MOBO does the power thingy everytime.
November 9, 2004 7:56:19 PM

RE: WOODY ALLEN comment
He may be remembered as one of the all time great thinkers for that line!!!!!!!
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2004 9:13:38 PM

Yes, strange behavior but I thought I was the only one! LOL, it doesn't seem to hurt anything, so I don't worry about it.

Anyway, I'd disable the ALi controller. That leaves you with 2 ATA and 2 SATA ports, your system will boot faster and have fewer things to configure. I'd then set the onboard controller to IDE only, so you don't have to wait for SATA drive detection on the main controller, which takes about 4 seconds. Then you'll only have 2 ATA connections, I'd make the Maxtor primary master and the CD-ROM primary slave, then make the DVD burner secondary master. That would probably be the best configuration for CD to CD burning if you get the urge.

Later, if you add another ATA drive, I'd put it as Secondary Slave. And if you get some SATA drives, I'd put them on the Intel controller.

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2004 9:14:55 PM

It acts like it's resetting configuration data and rebooting. But nothing changes in windows and performance is perfect.

!