Revenge from Mars - Darling or Dud?

googled rfm, but did not find any real feedback if the game is a
darling or dud. i played one, and found that it is pretty amusing to
put quarters into, but is this worth buying? i am looking for
something that can round out my humble collection of a tz and mb that
will have a differant flow, gameplay etc.

any thoughts on if this pin has long term gameplay / ownership? my
quick impressions are the game seemed a little dark, a little stark
with a sparse pf, a little repetitive with shoot down the middle as the
main shot, and a little dated with old clinton jokes. on the other
hand, i thought the video integration was pretty cool and fun - at
least for the 20 minutes i played.

on the technical side, are there any issues outside of overheating cpu
to watch for? are parts easy to get?

lastly, what would be a good price for a very good condition rfm?

thanx in advance for your .02 ... or more, on this pin.

ron
7 answers Last reply
More about revenge mars darling

    it is a good game but a bit easy - I would think it would be a agood
    addition to your collection. if you have the $ to buy a AFM instead,
    that is waht I would do.

    The videos get old after awhile (but you can skip the movies with the
    cabinet buttons), there is some stop and go while the ball is held for
    the animations, it is sometimes difficult to place the pin in a
    position that won't cause glare to wash out the video monitor.
    The game can be played by newbies and more experienced players since
    shooting for the center targets will advance the game, but to get the
    really big stuff the experienced player will have to make all the
    shots. It would be more at home in a collection with several pins which
    was why I bought it when I had 10 in my collection, but it still didn;t
    last more than 6 months. The CPU issues can be overcome by installing a
    new fan.
    I had a near mint one and couldn't find a buyer at $3K and finally sold
    it for $2500. If you get it for under $2K depending on the condition
    you will be doing well. You always have the option of buying a SWE1 kit
    and get some more gameplay out of it, there are several NIB and used
    kits around for that.
    I think you would be better off with another regular pin since PB2000
    really is more of a novelty. If you are looking for something different
    than what you have you can always look for a CV for a more adavnaced
    game or maybe TOM, even though that gets bashed here, but is a fun
    player for all levels.

    ....if you compare it to SWE1, it is the darling. If you compare it to
    a conventional pin, it is a dud.

    On 3 Sep 2005 15:09:04 -0700, "Mike" <coins2play@aol.com> wrote:

    >...if you compare it to SWE1, it is the darling. If you compare it to
    >a conventional pin, it is a dud.

    Compared to Popey or Hurricane it's a darling.

    In fact I think RFM is a great addition to a collection. It would get
    old if it was your only pin, but I think it has a great wow factor for
    newbies, guest, and kids and my wife and I have greatly enjoyed
    playing it on and off for a year.

    My RFM isn't going anywhere, but my TZ is. It's all about what you
    like. And if you get tired of any pin you can always sell it.

    Great game.

    Love it.

    I have two. One NIB and one not.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "ron" <golferron54@gmail.com> wrote

    > googled rfm, but did not find any real feedback if the game is a
    > darling or dud. i played one, and found that it is pretty amusing to
    > put quarters into, but is this worth buying? i am looking for
    > something that can round out my humble collection of a tz and mb that
    > will have a differant flow, gameplay etc.
    >
    > any thoughts on if this pin has long term gameplay / ownership? my
    > quick impressions are the game seemed a little dark, a little stark
    > with a sparse pf, a little repetitive with shoot down the middle as the
    > main shot, and a little dated with old clinton jokes. on the other
    > hand, i thought the video integration was pretty cool and fun - at
    > least for the 20 minutes i played.
    >
    > on the technical side, are there any issues outside of overheating cpu
    > to watch for? are parts easy to get?
    >
    > lastly, what would be a good price for a very good condition rfm?
    >
    > thanx in advance for your .02 ... or more, on this pin.
    >
    > ron

    UPDATE: Price $2000, excellant condition!

    first and foremost, thanx much for all the great feedback.

    had a chance to get a MUCH closer look at this pin, and found virtually
    no wear on the cab,
    video display tests perfect, no error messages, pf in very good
    condition. only things that are
    minuses were minor things like second coin slot is jammed, and pf could
    use a little novus.

    truthfully, i stumbled across this and see this as a purely
    OPPORTUNISTIC buy as i was not
    looking for a rfm. however, i like the idea you guys propose of buying
    rfm and playing it a bit
    as i like it enough to want it, but would want to probably sell it
    locally (i live in northern california)
    whenever i get tired of it. however, right now it seems that the
    market for rfm's is pretty
    soft on this pin based on several zero bid ebay auctions ... and a few
    rfm's posted in mr pinball
    classifieds did not sell.

    i don't mind "renting" the rfm for a couple months and laying out
    $2000, but don't want to lose money
    on the deal \-)

    think i can get same (or more?) than $2000 later to get (ironman must
    be reading my mind) a cv, tom
    or whirlwind or toan which are pins i really want?

    thanx!

    On 3 Sep 2005 12:50:26 -0700, "ron" <golferron54@gmail.com> wrote:

    >any thoughts on if this pin has long term gameplay / ownership?

    This mostly boils down to personal preference: I've played it on free
    play (at The Pinball Parlour http://www.pinball-parlour.com/ when he
    was back in Lansdale). I thought it was kind of neat, but thought it
    got a little boring after you've hit all the video sequences.

    On the other hand, if you don't like it, you can always sell it...

    --
    Michael Kohne
    mhkohne@discordia.org

Games Video Games Product