BillB

somebody (dann frank?) once made a match number predictor once upon a time,
anybody got a link to it?

--
billb

You don't need a predictor. Just see what match number is lit when you
start your game then count the switch closures on the point value that
steps the match unit. Easy as cake :)

-cody
CARGPB#4

>somebody (dann frank?) once made a >match number predictor once upon a >time, anybody got a link to it?

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Some games you might have to count certain things as the match unit
might not be a score reel. I remember it was easy to determine the
match number on Gottlieb single player games. Not really predicting,
it was basically KNOWING what it was going to be (at the point the ball
drained anyway). Match number was 'mapped' to each digit of the 10
reel, and as long as you had the 1 pt reel the same match number, you'd
win.

Dann Frank did, indeed, make a match number predictor for EM games
several years ago.

It was sent out with a particular issue of the PinGame Journal, I
believe.

So it was a real, actual thingy, not something on a website.

Now I suppose it's possible that somebody (maybe even Dann) put a soft
copy of it up on a website but I don't recall that being done.

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:21:37 -0700, "billb" <sevenoutpinball@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>somebody (dann frank?) once made a match number predictor once upon a time,
>anybody got a link to it?

> You don't need a predictor. Just see what match number is lit when you
> start your game then count the switch closures on the point value that
> steps the match unit. Easy as cake :)
>
> -cody
> CARGPB#4
>

>>somebody (dann frank?) once made a >match number predictor once upon a
>> >time, anybody got a link to it?

Should be the 10 point unit...hope that helps..

Fwed

Hmmmm, there was a different setup on Gottlieb single player games in
the 60s. There was a seperate match unit that generated the match
number - that must have changed in the 70s. The match unit pulsed
each time the unit score reel pulsed but even if they were exactly
aligned (the match unit was on the 8th position and the unit score
reel was on the 8 digit at the end of a particular game they obviously
could not stay that way or you would always match. When you started a
new game the score reels would reset to zero, including the units
reel). But the match unit would not move. So the relationship
between the two has now changed. This was the principle that Dann's
predictor was based on I believe. It may have been sophisticated
enough to take into account the 70s arrangement you described also..or
maybe it was based on this one...I have not looked at it in years.

One other fly in the ointment, however. If you "try this at home" and
your 60s game has a match unit that is not in tip top shape you could
have a situation where the match unit does not cleanly step forward
each time it is suppopse to. This makes prediction impossible and
gives a really pseudo-random match number generator.

In article <1125796229.045936.201250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote:
>You don't need a predictor. Just see what match number is lit when you
>start your game then count the switch closures on the point value that
>steps the match unit. Easy as cake :)

This varies by manufacturer and era, so you need game-specific knowledge.
The easiest game I know of is Bally FOUR QUEENS, where over-use of the
0-9 unit to change kickout-hole values during gameplay allows you to
read out the value of that unit at all times. Like most Ballys, the 0-9
unit steps through the numbers in non-sequential order.

Most late-1970s Gottliebs would be hard, because they scramble the position
of the 00-90 unit during reset. I pulled out the schematic for CENTIGRADE
37, which was close at hand, and I see that the 00-90 unit (location 12E
on the schematic) is stepped by two things:
1. During reset, as many Motor 1A pulses as it takes to move the most
distant digit around to zero.
2. During play, a pulse each time the 100-point relay (M) is activated,
EXCEPT when the 100-point score reel is showing zero.
On a five-ball game, two of the bumpers score 100, so you need to count
carefully to get part 2 right.
--
.................David Marston at MV