Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a good monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b C Monitor
September 29, 2011 9:27:57 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a couple of monitors sometime soon, maybe in a month or so but I am a bit lost because monitor specs seem a bit vague. I am looking for something around 24'' roughly and it is for gaming. I do want something all around good though and i am willing to pay for it, no budget as such but would like to keep it under 200-250 gbp which is around 320-400 usd.

A few things I prefer are thin bezels, 16:10 aspect ratio and hopefully 2ms. I would like something slim too. I like the look of a lot of LG and Samsung monitors, a few Asus ones as well. Finding a white monitor would be a bonus but I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

One thing I'm not too bothered about is viewing angles because I'm only really going to be sat at my desk while using them.

So does anyone have any ideas?

More about : good monitor

September 30, 2011 2:08:56 AM

Hey man,

You can find many good monitors in the 24" range for around $200. You won't need to spend upwards of over $300. We reviewed a few 24" models on our site, if you have some time stop by and check them out.

As far as a recommendation, my personal favorites at the moment are the ASUS ML Series. We reviewed the ML248H but the ML249H may be a better choice since it's an MVA panel.

If you're looking for 2 ms response time displays, then ASUS is usually the way to go. Many of their monitors are 2 ms but 5 ms is more than enough really.

I also highly recommend the ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED. It's one of the cheapest, quality monitors you'll find in the 24" range coming in at $185. It looks great and is really thin too.

24" models these days usually are at 1920 x 1080 native resolution, especially if they carry an HDMI port. This makes hooking up anything that uses HDMI much simpler and allows you to say use it for a console if you have one.

Several companies make great monitors and sites usually have tons of user reviews, so regardless of which you go with, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

Andy H.
a b C Monitor
September 30, 2011 6:11:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm starting to think I should prioritise good colour, contrast and viewing angles over super low response time. My current monitor is 6ms and that seems fine even on battlefield.

I have been looking at a 23'' LG IPS monitor because it looks nice and 5ms should be fine. Its not 24'' or 16:10 though annoyingly. I'm really used to 16:10 and don't like the idea of 16:9. Shame because it is well priced too.

So what i would love to find is something with:

1920x1200
Nice panel like IPS
6ms or less
23-27'' preferably 24 really
Slim with thin bezels

Unfortunately this monitor doesn't seem to exist, dell has one that is close but its 8ms and very expensive.
Related resources
September 30, 2011 10:33:44 PM

Well, most monitors can display very accurate colors these days. TN panel technology has come a long way since just a few years ago. The problem is if you truly want accurate colors then you'll need to do the calibration yourself or find a website that has the calibration info.

However, IPS still reigns king in the viewing angle territory. TN panels tend to be pretty bad especially the vertical. It's usually not a factor if your sitting right in front of it but if you want to use it on a wall in your bedroom, then it leads to problems (I found that out the hard way).

It seems like what your looking for is this monitor, the Dell UltraSharp U2410 (link goes straight to Dell's website).

It's $500 but I believe Amazon has it for around $486. It's definitely over your budget but here's the tradeoff with this monitor.

It's 6 ms (g2g) response time, viewing angles are 178° for both vertical and horizontal and is able to display 1.07 billion colors (Adobe RGB). Most monitors can only display 16.7 million (sRGB).

Here's a review of the monitor at TFT Centrals website. They probably do the best reviews of monitors and have more information than you'll know what to do with.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

Andy H.
a b C Monitor
October 1, 2011 7:11:14 PM

Yeah that's the monitor I was talking about, sorry I was on my phone I couldn't easily get the link. The site I saw it on must have listed the response time wrong too. As for colour i didn't really mean good colour accuracy, meant a good range of high quality colours if that makes any sense?

Thanks for the tftcentral link and all the advice :) 
!