Sign in with
Your question

Triple monitor setup - need help.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 30, 2011 12:52:57 AM

I have a GTX 460 1 GB and I have it connected to two monitors. However, I need a third monitor and I need a way to connect it to use all three at once. Here's the problem, I have this motherboard.

CLICK HERE

It only has one PCIE 2.0 x16 slot.

What would you suggest I can do that doesn't involve buying a new motherboard and another GTX 460? I am not buying this for gaming, I am buying this for work. Thanks for your help everyone.

More about : triple monitor setup

September 30, 2011 8:43:27 PM

Really? There's no other way?

"yes it can, but when you decide to play a game you're stuck with one monitor. "

I don't mind gaming on one monitor as long as I can do my work on three.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2011 12:34:27 AM

"yes it can, but when you decide to play a game you're stuck with one monitor. "

That one should be a two.

You can get another card to sli with it or get another card without sli to use for display, but of course, without sli, you cannot combined the graphic processing power of both card. Otherwise, you can consider selling yuor card and get one from AMD instead. A 6870 will have similar performance to the gtx460, but you don't get cuda and physx.
m
l
October 1, 2011 4:39:43 AM

"get another card without sli to use for display"

which card would be a good cheap solution that is compatible w/ my motherboard?
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2011 5:04:58 AM

ZOTAC GeForce GT 520 PCI Express x1 to go to yor pcie x1 slot.

The pcie x1 card will cost you around $70 and you can sell your GTX 460 for about $100. For about $180 you can get a 6870, so I think this will be the way to go.
m
l
October 1, 2011 7:07:39 PM

If i get a 6870, do I have to get a monitor that has a display port input or can I just get away with using HDMI and DVI connections for all three monitors? I do have a DVI-VGA adapter that I use for my second monitor since it's an older one. My primary monitor is connected by a HDMI cable.
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2011 2:16:19 AM

You must connet one of the monitor with the displayport. If you don't have a monitor that supports displayport, you need an active adapter for it:

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...

The list is not absalute. There are other good active adapter as well. I am just provideing the official list as a guide as to what you need to get.
m
l
October 2, 2011 3:23:58 PM

Thanks a lot man. You've been of great help.
m
l
!