Effective Pop Up killers... (Mozilla Firefox

Most people fooling around with WindowsXP SP2 (RC1 or 2) are aware that MS
has included a nice pop-up killer into Internet Explorer 6. It works pretty
darned well with little or no setup or intervention.

But since it's not been released to the public yet, I was looking for an
alternative that would function similarly.

For those who don't already use the Mozilla browser, you might wish to try
(standalone, no mail function) Mozilla FireFox version 0.9 for your internet
browsing. I downloaded and installed it (on WindowsXP Pro) a couple of days
ago.

I find it to be faster than IE, far less cumbersome than Netscape, and far
less gaudy than the earlier versions of Opera that I have tried. Firefox is
small, fast, and also includes an effective pop up killer than requires
little or no user involvement after install. During install, it also will
import your IE favorites, history, and other settings if you prefer.

For those of you who knew this months ago, just nod and play along.

I've gotten really tired of separate, filtered, standalone popup programs.
This browser works and is free.

Stew

Ditto for the full Mozilla package, now at version 1.6 (with later betas
available). I've been very satisfied with Mozilla since about version 1.1,
using it for most all web access. Of course, the Micro$oft update web sites
refuse to work with it, and a couple of other web sites (the UPS shipping web
site is one) break now and then, so I keep IE around only for those rare uses.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:00:25 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

>Most people fooling around with WindowsXP SP2 (RC1 or 2) are aware that MS
>has included a nice pop-up killer into Internet Explorer 6. It works pretty
>darned well with little or no setup or intervention.
>
>But since it's not been released to the public yet, I was looking for an
>alternative that would function similarly.
>
>For those who don't already use the Mozilla browser, you might wish to try
>(standalone, no mail function) Mozilla FireFox version 0.9 for your internet
>browsing. I downloaded and installed it (on WindowsXP Pro) a couple of days
>ago.
>
>I find it to be faster than IE, far less cumbersome than Netscape, and far
>less gaudy than the earlier versions of Opera that I have tried. Firefox is
>small, fast, and also includes an effective pop up killer than requires
>little or no user involvement after install. During install, it also will
>import your IE favorites, history, and other settings if you prefer.
>
>For those of you who knew this months ago, just nod and play along.
>
>I've gotten really tired of separate, filtered, standalone popup programs.
>This browser works and is free.
>

>Stew

fox

Been using Firefox for a few months now, except for those times when
IE is needed to run a program, Mozilla and or Firefox are the better
choice.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:01:17 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Ditto for the full Mozilla package, now at version 1.6 (with later betas
>available). I've been very satisfied with Mozilla since about version 1.1,
>using it for most all web access. Of course, the Micro$oft update web sites
>refuse to work with it, and a couple of other web sites (the UPS shipping web
>site is one) break now and then, so I keep IE around only for those rare uses.
>
>... Ben Myers
>
>On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:00:25 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>Most people fooling around with WindowsXP SP2 (RC1 or 2) are aware that MS
>>has included a nice pop-up killer into Internet Explorer 6. It works pretty
>>darned well with little or no setup or intervention.
>>
>>But since it's not been released to the public yet, I was looking for an
>>alternative that would function similarly.
>>
>>For those who don't already use the Mozilla browser, you might wish to try
>>(standalone, no mail function) Mozilla FireFox version 0.9 for your internet
>>browsing. I downloaded and installed it (on WindowsXP Pro) a couple of days
>>ago.
>>
>>I find it to be faster than IE, far less cumbersome than Netscape, and far
>>less gaudy than the earlier versions of Opera that I have tried. Firefox is
>>small, fast, and also includes an effective pop up killer than requires
>>little or no user involvement after install. During install, it also will
>>import your IE favorites, history, and other settings if you prefer.
>>
>>For those of you who knew this months ago, just nod and play along.
>>
>>I've gotten really tired of separate, filtered, standalone popup programs.
>>This browser works and is free.
>>

>>Stew

fox

Been using Firefox for a few months, and Mozilla before that, both are
better than IE. It is the way to go except when you need IE which
happens, but for the most part, Firefox/Mozilla are the better choice.

Ben Myers wrote:
> Ditto for the full Mozilla package, now at version 1.6 (with later betas
> available).

Actually, the current release is 1.7 (non beta).

> I've been very satisfied with Mozilla since about version 1.1,
> using it for most all web access. Of course, the Micro$oft update web sites
> refuse to work with it, and a couple of other web sites (the UPS shipping web
> site is one) break now and then, so I keep IE around only for those rare uses.

I've been very happy with Mozilla for more than a year now, same
restrictions Ben mentioned.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

wrote:

>Most people fooling around with WindowsXP SP2 (RC1 or 2) are aware that MS
>has included a nice pop-up killer into Internet Explorer 6. It works pretty
>darned well with little or no setup or intervention.
>
>But since it's not been released to the public yet, I was looking for an
>alternative that would function similarly.
>
>For those who don't already use the Mozilla browser, you might wish to try
>(standalone, no mail function) Mozilla FireFox version 0.9 for your internet
>browsing. I downloaded and installed it (on WindowsXP Pro) a couple of days
>ago.
>
>I find it to be faster than IE, far less cumbersome than Netscape, and far
>less gaudy than the earlier versions of Opera that I have tried. Firefox is
>small, fast, and also includes an effective pop up killer than requires
>little or no user involvement after install. During install, it also will
>import your IE favorites, history, and other settings if you prefer.
>
>For those of you who knew this months ago, just nod and play along.
>
>I've gotten really tired of separate, filtered, standalone popup programs.
>This browser works and is free.
>

>Stew

I just finished trying Firefox 0.9 for about a week and I've gone back
to IE. I found that FF seemed to be slower, especially loading
graphics. It did do a nice job on blocking pop-ups, but I also missed
my IE/Adsgone's ability to also block banner ads. I guess YMMV.

We'll have to see how bloated IE becomes after SP2.

Dave

"Dave" <dmjohn29@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:00:25 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Most people fooling around with WindowsXP SP2 (RC1 or 2) are aware that MS
>>has included a nice pop-up killer into Internet Explorer 6. It works
>>pretty
>>darned well with little or no setup or intervention.
>>
>>But since it's not been released to the public yet, I was looking for an
>>alternative that would function similarly.
>>
>>For those who don't already use the Mozilla browser, you might wish to try
>>(standalone, no mail function) Mozilla FireFox version 0.9 for your
>>internet
>>browsing. I downloaded and installed it (on WindowsXP Pro) a couple of
>>days
>>ago.
>>
>>I find it to be faster than IE, far less cumbersome than Netscape, and far
>>less gaudy than the earlier versions of Opera that I have tried. Firefox
>>is
>>small, fast, and also includes an effective pop up killer than requires
>>little or no user involvement after install. During install, it also will
>>import your IE favorites, history, and other settings if you prefer.
>>
>>For those of you who knew this months ago, just nod and play along.
>>
>>I've gotten really tired of separate, filtered, standalone popup programs.
>>This browser works and is free.
>>

>>Stew
>>

> I just finished trying Firefox 0.9 for about a week and I've gone back
> to IE. I found that FF seemed to be slower, especially loading
> graphics. It did do a nice job on blocking pop-ups, but I also missed
> my IE/Adsgone's ability to also block banner ads. I guess YMMV.
>
> We'll have to see how bloated IE becomes after SP2.
>
> Dave

Dave,

IE SP2 is by appearances no more bloated than usual. The only minor problem
I've noticed is that since it is more aggressive with its' default security
settings, it seems to attack virtually any (OE) e-mail delivered in HTML,
even to the point of shutting down nearly all graphics in those mails (ie-
legit retail mails that I get where the item, photo, and sale price simply
won't display.).

There's probably a setting somewhere either in IE or OE for this, but I've
been too lazy to worry with it at the moment. I simply plan to use FireFox
as a supplemental browser where needed.

Stew

Vince: Whoops! I've gotten behind, haven't I? Thanks for the info... Ben

Ben Myers wrote:
> Vince: Whoops! I've gotten behind, haven't I? Thanks for the info... Ben

Don't mention it - I was running ver. 1.5 :)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> I think that's a good idea too. I've left IE as my default browser while
> using and relegating FF to a supplemental role.
>

> Stew

For popup blocking I use Google tool bar. So far it blocked 866 popups.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:37:39 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
wrote:

>> We'll have to see how bloated IE becomes after SP2.
>>
>> Dave
>>

>Dave,
>
>IE SP2 is by appearances no more bloated than usual. The only minor problem
>I've noticed is that since it is more aggressive with its' default security
>settings, it seems to attack virtually any (OE) e-mail delivered in HTML,
>even to the point of shutting down nearly all graphics in those mails (ie-
>legit retail mails that I get where the item, photo, and sale price simply
>won't display.).
>
>There's probably a setting somewhere either in IE or OE for this, but I've
>been too lazy to worry with it at the moment. I simply plan to use FireFox
>as a supplemental browser where needed.
>
>Stew

I shouldn't have a problem then. I used Eudora. :)

Dave