RichPLS

Champion
A friend wants me to help him to build a replacement for his old AMD 800mhz system which died.
Will use it at home for office apps and inet mostly, but they have to preteen kids.

Doesn't want to spend more than 500 bucks, and will use current keyboard, mouse and display.

What are best options for this range?

RichPLS

Champion
I am thinking of socket 754 maybe a Athlon 64 2800+ or a Sempron 3100+
which would be better?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Best options? You could go to Tigerdirect.com and find the fastest OEM system to include an AGP slot for $300, then add a good video card...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Hell you could go get a new mobo for about 50 bucks, add in a XP 2000+ chip for about 60 bucks, and then add 70 in cheap RAM 512 (333). That's only 200 bucks if he can keep the same case. He will think his new computer is a gift sent from heaven considering he was running a Duron.

bjpatrick@gmail.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He could step up to a real processor for another $50, but he'd still need a hard drive, case, power supply, and OS. And that's the price breaker when you're comparing a home built PC to a closeout item, the retail closeout box comes with the OS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
No doubt, the OS alone will kick your butt and leave you wondering where the hell your money went. On that note, I thought this was one for the comic strips. I went to the book store on campus to check out the discount for the student version of Windows XP. They were out of stock but I did get a price quote. Later the same day I was in Office Depot, and saw the student version advertised. I thought there was some kind of verification process to go through. I also wouldnt have thought that the student version could be sold off campus but it is. The Office 2003 student discounted version was $149.00. That is significantly cheaper than the same version minus the student discount. They dont ask for any proof that your a student though. So what keeps everyone from just buying the retail version? I am assuming that some people wouldnt think twice about not being honest.

BTW I am a stundent.

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I agree with crashman. For 500 bucks. He might as well get a low end Dell or HP. Then at least he will get some software out of the deal. Hell, he could probably get a low end computer for about 300 bucks. Without a monitor.

bjpatrick@gmail.com

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Thats what I was getting at. I just paid almost $300.00 for an upgrade to XP and the office software. For most people I would think that the highly discounted software that comes with those systems is reason enough to buy one already built.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
TigerDirect often offers XP2800+ range systems for around $300 and XP3000+ range systems for around $400, and some of the systems have an AGP slot, so anyone on a really small budget should consider those.

pauldh

Illustrious
Actually, Crash said Tiger Direct with an AGP slot. A low end Dell or HP will have integrated Graphics and no AGP slot. Two totally different things. Avoid low end models with no AGP SLOT.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
It does not sound like the guy is going to be playing any games so who really cares about the video card. As long as everything is clear end users do not care.

bjpatrick@gmail.com

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I thought so, but if they arent I would think that many others are doing the same. Did I mention that the price on campus was slightly higher than the one in office Depot? Student discounts that are not so discounted!!!!!

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
I purchased my first copy of Win 2K Pro in 2001 for $10, and Office XP Pro in 2002 for $10...the prices you were talking about sound really high to me. I purchased them from the University of Washington (WA state that is). Of course they verified my current attendance, and there was a limit of one copy per student (other wise I would have purchased more, duh!).

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
Hey,
My suggestion would be to build a system with a good value board like the asus p4r800 vm, i currently have a machine for sale using this board and its going for abotu 500, and its easy to build, these are the specs. p4 2.4, 768 mb crucial pc3200 ram, 80 gb seagate sata hard drive, and a lg 52X cdrw. the onboard graphics arent even bad, i mean you cant play doom with it, but i play games liek warcraft 3 and UT, and quake 3 on it and it can handle it fine.

pauldh

Illustrious
I was just clarifying the big difference between what you said and Crash said. Sure a Dell 2400 might serve his needs fine. But Still, why make it a disposable computer if his needs change.

I just hate the fact the large oems screw customers over by offering such crap to unsuspecting customers, especially when it would only cost them a couple bucks to have an AGP slot. It's all a money game, and that is how they offer cheap computers that look(and are) too good to be true, yet make good money on upgrades by making people who want A seperate Card step up the next series. It Just sits wrong with me as unlike them going for the allmighty dollar only, I like to be proud of selling someone a computer that best meets their needs now and later.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HP, Dell, Compaq, eMachines, all have low end systems with AGP slots. MOST DON'T have them, a few do, and that's why it's handy to have a discount vender dumping these old machines with FULL DETAIL on the slots within.

Even Compgeeks has low end Gateways and IBM's with AGP slots, but their prices aren't nearly within budget constraints.

pauldh

Illustrious
I didn't think any Dells under the 4xxx series ever had AGP slots. Definately, if they state all the slots, that's a great deal then to get an OS with it for that cheap. Tiger is just fine if you don't expect any tech support. But a noob will want to look elsewhere for help.

TRENDING THREADS