CPU Usage for external mass storage

scottstevens

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
In terms of CPU usage for an external hard disk, which is interface represents the lightest load? 400Mbps FireWire or USB 2? I am looking to put an external drive on my system for portability due to a collection of DivX movies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Firewire has the lightest load on the CPU normally, because it uses a hardware interface chip rather than the chipset.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
It would depend on what interface your PC has. If it has FW, I would use it, but would not go buy a card just for the drive if I had USB2 already.

scottstevens

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
The desktop has 2 onboard FireWire 400 ports, plus another 1 or two on the Audigy. The laptop only has USB, however most of the drive enclosures I am looking at are only an extra NZ$ 40 so I was figuring I'd go for maximum connectivity options.