Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dell computer (for gaming)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 2, 2010 6:03:32 PM

is this dell good for gaming i need it cheap like 700-800 so post the specs you think would work

heres the link

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us...


Thanks if you can help and tell me if there's a better laptop for the same price

More about : dell computer gaming

a b D Laptop
August 2, 2010 6:14:28 PM

the_jubs99 said:
is this dell good for gaming i need it cheap like 700-800 so post the specs you think would work

heres the link

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us...


Thanks if you can help and tell me if there's a better laptop for the same price


Hi there,

It doesn't look like this laptop has any dedicated graphics. What kind of games will you be playing?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
August 2, 2010 7:28:27 PM

all the new ones
with the high end graphics
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 244 D Laptop
August 2, 2010 8:08:50 PM

Inspiron 17 doesn't have a high-end graphic card,look for Studio 17 instead,which has a more powerful CPU/VGA
a b 4 Gaming
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2010 8:35:53 PM

1- Don't buy dell
2- don't buy dell for gaming: they always put a nice part in (ex. Nice processor) but all other parts are low quality and most likely will let you down for no reason.... and you pay same price than a better laptop.

consider RMA if you buy it.

Get an Asus or msi they are much better :

Here's an example

best
http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Republic-Gamers-G51JX-X3-15-6...


good
http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-K50IJ-G1B-15-6-Inch-Business-...

the 2nd one play games very well but the 1st one is definitively better

Depending on games you wanna play you will have to invest bigger bucks for the better games.

If you buy dell , toshiba, HP, sony, gateway, acer they will let you down before you expect it...
August 2, 2010 8:51:11 PM

If you wanna go Dell, than I'm with Maziar. You'll need to go up to a studio.

but if you're really serious about new games with high end games, then you're budget is going to need to expand beyond $700-800. That much really isn't enough for a high end gaming laptop to play the newest games with high graphics settings.
The asus laptops are very good, but as you can see, the good gaming laptop, the republic of gamers one, is over your budget.

oh, and i wouldn't go with the business asus, the intel graphics just isn't good for gaming. You definitely want a dedicated gpu.
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2010 8:55:48 PM

toolinthemist said:
If you wanna go Dell, than I'm with Maziar. You'll need to go up to a studio.

but if you're really serious about new games with high end games, then you're budget is going to need to expand beyond $700-800. That much really isn't enough for a high end gaming laptop to play the newest games with high graphics settings.
The asus laptops are very good, but as you can see, the good gaming laptop, the republic of gamers one, is over your budget.

oh, and i wouldn't go with the business asus, the intel graphics just isn't good for gaming. You definitely want a dedicated gpu.


Hi there,

I agree that a laptop with high-end dedicated graphics will be necessary. You might want to look into an Alienware M11x. It costs $799, so it is more affordable. It is also much smaller and more portable than other gaming laptops.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
August 2, 2010 9:14:13 PM

The M11x is a good option, and there was a special sale a little while ago, i don't know if its still available.

The two caveats with the M11x though are its screen size (it is only 11 inches so be wary if you plan on extended gaming sessions) and the fact that it doesn't have a cd drive which means you'll need to get an external drive (unless you're fine with with doing network installs or some alternate method)
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2010 10:49:54 PM

toolinthemist said:
The M11x is a good option, and there was a special sale a little while ago, i don't know if its still available.

The two caveats with the M11x though are its screen size (it is only 11 inches so be wary if you plan on extended gaming sessions) and the fact that it doesn't have a cd drive which means you'll need to get an external drive (unless you're fine with with doing network installs or some alternate method)


Hello,

Toolinthemist is correct about the limitations of the Alienware laptop, although it is a great option for the price range that you requested. To get a larger gaming laptop, you will probably have to increase that budget significantly.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Best solution

August 3, 2010 5:50:14 AM
Share

+1 for the m11x.

its probably the only decent system that alienware offer, but its one of the best value laptops on the market. it can max out most recent games (including ME2 and MW2) at decent frames.
i dont find the screen size to be much of an issue, but you could always hookup to an external monitor while at home.

check out the review here: http://au.gear.ign.com/articles/106/1065816p1.html
a b D Laptop
September 2, 2010 2:56:27 AM

Best answer selected by buwish.
!