New LaserJets Print Avery Labels off alignment. Prints too far up.

deaf to light

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Hi,

Printers:
HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP
HP LaserJet P1606dn

I am completely frustrated with this problem. I have tried finding a solution, and it seems like I've stumbled across a few people having this problem, but no concrete solution; yet it seems to be something that would have been addressed by HP, Avery, or Microsoft by now.

We print a lot of labels at work. Mostly Avery 5160s, sometimes 5963, 8667, and others. We use Microsoft Word templates, and it has always printed just fine, exactly like the preview. My old LaserJet 4050 at work broke down, so I had to go get a new one. I went and purchased a HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP, and it was fine until I realized that when I tried to print labels, the labels would be pushed too far up, and sometimes to the left. It actually seemed like it would be crooked sometimes when printing multiple pages. I spent an hour on the phone with HP support. I could tell the guy didn't know the problem, and after an hour just told me the margins were wrong. Unfortunately, I can't accept that answer, as (1) all of our other LaserJets print them fine, and (2) we print too many labels on too many different media to have to set margins every time, and then have to set them for new computers depending on which printer they're printing too... it just isn't gonna work.

I began to think maybe it was because this was an all-in-one printer, so I returned the printer and purchased an HP LaserJet P1606dn. Of course, when I hooked it up, I experienced the same exact problems. What's the deal? Do new LaserJet printers not print labels correctly?

For both printers, I had updated to the latest drivers.

The print previews look fine, and when I send the document to one of our other laserjets in the office, it prints correctly as previewed.

deaf to light

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I tried a few different drivers. UPD, as well as the old 4050 drivers... none of them fixed the problem. But I'm starting to think that the problem lies in the way some of these new laserjets feed paper... they have trays like inkjets with a small paper guide, rather than trays you pull out like drawers. Sometimes, the labels get printed out skewed a little crooked, with it going diagonally up from left to right.