Question about Space Odyssey / Space Mission Rules

I will be picking up a Space Odyssey soon and just wanted to make sure I
understood the rules as I'm a bit confused.

Specifically, I'm trying to make sure how the spinning target affects what
playfield features are lit and what else causes the features to be lit:

(1) What lights the eject holes for double bonus (is it hitting the swinging
target when it's light is on an A, B or C space?

(2) What lights the spinner for 1,000?

(3) What causes the extra ball lane at top to light?

(4) How many bonus spaces should be awarded each time the ball travels
around the horseshoe loop?

Seems like items #1, 2 and 3 above are related to hitting the swinging
target when it is on the letter spaces and/or what lit space the swinging
target is on, but the vpinball versions I've seen and the few times I've
played this game the machines seemst o follow these rules differently

(5) Are the above somehow adjustable in the game?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to make sure that the game I'll be
getting is following the rules correctly.

I've done searches on IPDB and on the internet, but haven't found a place
where this is clearly explained (at least not that I can follow with
certainty).

- Brian

> (1) What lights the eject holes for double bonus (is it hitting the swinging
> target when it's light is on an A, B or C space?

Yes The first time you achieve a letter you light the out holes for 500
points.

> (2) What lights the spinner for 1,000?

Depends on how you set the game up in the options. When the swing
target lights are between A, B, and C the spinner is lit. Also the
extra ball will be lit also.

> (3) What causes the extra ball lane at top to light?

See above

3

> Seems like items #1, 2 and 3 above are related to hitting the swinging
> target when it is on the letter spaces and/or what lit space the swinging
> target is on, but the vpinball versions I've seen and the few times I've
> played this game the machines seems o follow these rules differently

When designing an Em pinball game in VP the creator guesses what should
happen on the playfield. The only way for them to ensure accuracy is
either have access to a game or ask questions to people who own one.

> (5) Are the above somehow adjustable in the game?

Yes there are two settings. Liberal and conservative.

> Any help would be appreciated as I want to make sure that the game I'll be
> getting is following the rules correctly.

Good luck. I have a problem with my Space Mission. I just got a copy of
the schematics so I am going to try to figure it out in the coming
weeks.

> I've done searches on IPDB and on the internet, but haven't found a place
> where this is clearly explained (at least not that I can follow with
> certainty).

Just shoot me an E-mail if you have any questions or post them here.

Jeff
www.jeffpinball.com

It's been awhile since I've played it, but I'm
pretty sure you are on the right track. The
swinging target affects the values you mention.

There may be some adjustment "plugs" under
the pf to allow for liberal or conservative. The
extra ball feature is adjustable in this manner
for example.

You can not go by the Vpin versions on EM games
I've found. Quite a few of them are wrong, and some
features don't work at all.

--
Fred
TX

"Brian B" <bblonder@cox.net> wrote

> I will be picking up a Space Odyssey soon and just wanted to make sure I
> understood the rules as I'm a bit confused.
>
> Specifically, I'm trying to make sure how the spinning target affects what
> playfield features are lit and what else causes the features to be lit:
>
> (1) What lights the eject holes for double bonus (is it hitting the swinging
> target when it's light is on an A, B or C space?
>
> (2) What lights the spinner for 1,000?
>
> (3) What causes the extra ball lane at top to light?
>
> (4) How many bonus spaces should be awarded each time the ball travels
> around the horseshoe loop?
>
> Seems like items #1, 2 and 3 above are related to hitting the swinging
> target when it is on the letter spaces and/or what lit space the swinging
> target is on, but the vpinball versions I've seen and the few times I've
> played this game the machines seemst o follow these rules differently
>
> (5) Are the above somehow adjustable in the game?

Jeff and Fred,

Thanks for the information on Space Odyssey, Space Mission rules.

I've explained below why I was interested in learning more about the rules,

My 12 year old son gets the choice of putting either the Space Odyssey or a
Jungle Queen in his room when the person who is getting the games 100%
working and cleaned up delivers them very soon. The games are almost ready
for delivery so we went to try them out last night to help him make his
decision.

As he's not yet at the age to be swayed by the Jungle Babe on the JQ
backglass, he's been trying to decide based on the rules for the two games.

He was a little disappointed by the ruleset for the Space Odyssey compared
to the vpinball versions he had tried and was leaning towards the Jungle
Queen. Your information along with my review of the adjustments available
(I forgot I had a copy of the manual from eBAy) helped him to realize that
the things he didn't like about the Space Odyssey rules as set on the one we
were testing out were all adjustable:

(1) horseshoe shot was set on 5 advance bonus which was racking up the bonus
too fast, but it turns out it is adjustable and can be set to 3 instead of
five (a big difference when trying to reach the max bonus).

(2) extra ball lane at top was lit and 1000 poiints for spinner target was
lit a good portion of the time when we were testing it out once one of the
letters was lit from the moving target shot. It turns out this is also
adjustable from about 40% of the time (with extra ball being lit whenever
moving target light is on yellow, amber or green space instead of a letter
space) to 20% of the time (only when moving target is on amber space).

Now that he has learned this additional information, he's back to being
confused about which game to put in his room!

A few other clarifications he was wondering about that I'm still not sure
about are:

(1) whether the opportunity to make the eject hole shot to light the double
bonus award is available in the eject holes once you get a target letter lit
or if this shot opportunity behaves similarly to the extra ball lane light
and the 1000 spinner light in that it goes on and off depending upon the
which space the moving target is on (e..g, on after you get a letter and
then lit when on the adjusted # of color spaces)

(2) Does the 1000 spinner opportunity come on whenever the moving target
light is on the color spaces for the moving target (based on adusted
settings) or does the player have to first light one of the target letters
before the 1000 spinner light opportunity comes on just like the extra ball
lane at the top. In other words, is the 1000 spinner light ever on when the
extra ball lane at the top is not on?

Thanks, a lot for your help in confusing my son as to which game he likes
more :) Nothing more fun than a teen finding out that EM's can be just as
fun as the fancier newer games and watching him struggle with how many fun
ones are out there to choose from!

- Brian

I don't know about the vp version of Space Odyssey, but I have played
the Space Mission version. The game play differs greatly from the
actual machine. I've been modifying the VB Script code and believe I
have it close. I'm not sure if I can submit a modified version of
someone else's table though.

Brian B wrote:

> (2) Does the 1000 spinner opportunity come on whenever the moving target
> light is on the color spaces for the moving target (based on adjusted
> settings) or does the player have to first light one of the target letters
> before the 1000 spinner light opportunity comes on just like the extra ball
> lane at the top. In other words, is the 1000 spinner light ever on when the
> extra ball lane at the top is not on?

Yes, the 1000 point spinner and the extra ball are lit every time the
target score is at 5000 points. Exception, When you are starting a new
ball, extra ball should not be lit. however the spinner still will be.
This is how my game is working.