Be afraid Intel, be VERY afraid...

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Here's an article saying there's a good chance Dell is thinking about using AMD CPUs.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=2&u=/nm/20041112/tc_nm/tech_dell_amd_dc

Microsoft has nixed the Itanium... meaning that servers of the future are going to be running on the X86 architecture.

AMD has a head start and the fact that Dell would even consider AMD implies a lot of things. Intel has some huge advantages over AMD... so for Dell and Microsoft to be headed in AMDs direction means that AMD's 64-bit plans have sold themselves on their own merits.

Now, if only AMD could speed up the process in getting a nice chipset out the door to match their processors without having to wait 6-9 months....

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's a sensible approach - With scotty systems you need to invest much more in making the case provide adequate cooling. When you're shipping thousands of identical units, saving just $1 on each case works out being quite a saving.

If AMD wants more market share, interest from companies like Dell is where they'll get it from.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

RichPLS

Champion
Dell has always been the center of much contention, and if they resort to such tactics as using AMD in their machines, there would be no way they could ever recover any dignity back.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
There will always be "good chance" of using AMD, but they always end up with using Intel.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
I think Dell says that all the time to drive down costs of CPU's from Intel.

Dell: Hey lets use AMD stuff I am sure no one will notice.
Intel:Jesus motherf@ck did you read this sh@t on the internet Dell might use AMD processors. Best lower those processor prices again.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Has anybody noted a real problem with Opterons, or am I out of the loop? Congratulations will be in order to AMD!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Didn't Dell just say a week ago that they pride themselves on the fact that they are the number one computer dealer and they use only Intel (so therefore there's no need to use AMD)? Interesting...

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Actualy this time there is something more to it. I could post links but it seems Dell's hand has been forced here. Dell is growing in all sectors except servers (highend gamming falls under general consummer) So Dell needs to adopt opteron if it wishes to maintain or grow the server segment.

Seems likley dell will adopt opteron and likey the fx for highend gamers. Dell will continue to sell mostly intel stuff as no way could amd supply all dell cpu's, however amd's fab36 is one year away and the just confirmed outsourcing to charter for additional cpu's on their 300mm waffers.

Roumor has it dells new manufacturing plant (or screwdriver shop) is being put together for the new amd servers.

This might cause some pain for dell thus the reluctance to do so in the past. Might remove some of the pricing advantage dell had over hp ibm etc. also will remove the bargining chip they had with intel forcing ever better deals.

We will see but it seems likly dell will adopt and alow the consumer a choice.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Imp

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Anyone know why the general non-enthusiast public goes apesh*t over Dell systems? Just for one example, if you look on Ebay crappy Dell systems have tons of bids while a lot of really good computers have 0, and probably don't even get any views. At the same time, the people I know who bought Dell do nothing but complain about them and especially about the lack of help from customer service. I guess the public just goes by reputation?

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Is that <A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041112/earns_dell_6.html" target="_new">so</A>.

Xeon

<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Above all, Dell must remain competitive in the server market, and Intel is having a hard time matching AMD in the 64-bit X86 market.

Itanium is all but dead... except for niche users doing some heavy number crunching, there's little reason to buy an Itanium box.

The key is the price/performance ratio. IT managers aren't going to continue to pay a premium for an Intel processor. The only reason Dell would consider using AMD processors is if they were scared that they might cease to be competitive with other manufacturers based on price/performance.

20 additional FPS in DOOM 3 might sell a PC in these forums or on Alienware's site, but not to the general PC buyer. People/Companies buy DELL PCs because they are priced right, they have a good reputation, and good support. I wouldn't buy one for myself (I build my own boxes)... but as a consultant, I typically prefer my clients buy a DELL machine as opposed to HP/Compaq or some other whitebox.

The key for Intel is to keep AMD <b>out</b>. If this means dropping their prices and perhaps even losing money in order to keep Dell in their stable, it's probably worth it. Dell probably does this to position themselves and put Intel on alert. Once DELL starts dealing with AMD, they stand a good chance of keeping that relationship.... which is bad news for Intel.

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
BTW, before anybody calls me a fanboy, know that I have both AMD and Intel boxes. I take price/performance and my requirements all into consideration when building machines and buying laptops.

At this point, I've noticed that my stable of PCs is becoming more and more of an AMD farm. I think the most compelling Intel products as of late are the Centrino laptops with extended battery life. Unless I was doing a lot of video editing, I just can't justify an Intel desktop CPU right now.

As for AMD... their biggest weakness is their reliance on other manufacturers to produce their chipsets. Chipsets over the past 2-3 years are much improved... but it always seems to take a while before they become solid.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yes it is <A HREF="http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/11/HNdelltouseamd_1.html" target="_new"> so </A> what were you saying by posting your link anyway? I never said dell did not grow they met expectations grew with the industry in all segments except servers a good quarter over all. You have to take that pr stuff with a grain of salt I did listen to there cc and they fully admitted the one area they did not grow like the rest of the industry is servers.

Dell knows win64 is comming very soon and they know opteron will leap frog xeon further with dual core. Right now dell has it pretty good squeezing intel more and more for better pricing by threatning to offer amd to the consumer. So it's a bit of a tuff pill for dell to swollow, offer opteron and maybe intel will remove the advantage dell gets over HP IBM.

Dell is not stupid they won't admitt to offering opteron and fx untill they absolutly have to. Squeeze intel as long as they can.

I never said dell would offer opteron and or the fx just that this time it is likley. If dell does not offer opteron they will loose server sales and way more money per unit there over any celeron.

Lighten up what is wrong with dell offering the customer a choice anyway? It's not like anyone would expect you to buy one, so don't get so emotional about it.

www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/11/HNdelltouseamd_1.html

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
They are selling a crap load of systems and with that crap load of systems they all have Intel processors in them. Now that you understand that understand this if this continues in the market Dell will never switch or consider AMD parts in their machines, and will probably never. With regards to tech support, costs would be immense for Dell to service AMD based machines as well and Intel based machines, in fact I am willing to wager their Tech support costs would balloon.

Dell knows win64 is comming very soon and they know opteron will leap frog xeon further with dual core.
Now WTF are you talking about, I have seen the x86-64 benches for both the Opteron and Xeon. The Xeon in 64bit mode is quite respectable nothing stunning but respectable non the less, as for dual core mumbo jumbo that you are babbling about no one knows the god damned performance numbers from those chips so do us all a nice favor and shut you "I am a AMD fan boy pie hole" and simply wait to see if Intel gets raped or not.

Squeeze intel as long as they can.
Maybe you haven’t noticed but Dells business plan is what keeps them ahead of the lesser OEM's. Keeps the costs down not to support two CPU manufacturers, with the chipsets, power specifications board layouts the whole nine yards.

They operate stream lined and their consumer base doesn’t give a crap on your face about performance, just reliability and support.

It's not like anyone would expect you to buy one, so don't get so emotional about it.
Now WTF are you talking about emotion over Dell and Intel, you need to stop whatever the hell you are doing and realize I’m not pissy about that crap I am pissy with tools that don’t see the whole picture.

Sure I am pro Intel but I try and look at the whole situation, some of you fools read Dell+AMD=Love Machines and go oogly in the head, tout about Intel will die off yada yada yada yada and some more stupid yada, when that is the farthest thing from the truth.

Just remember AMD has been winning in performance for quite some time now, yet Intel hasn’t seen any signs of a market shift... yet. As things are I really don’t see that even happening, Intel can probably sit on their ass and do jack squat for 3 more years before the OEM's start to make a real fuss.

Intel helped all these companies back in 2000 by offering stellar deals on silicon from them and all they had to do was drop AMD. Don’t think for a second that any of those CEO's of those companies wouldn’t bend over backwards to help Intel out.

Xeon

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Xeon, I used to stick up for you but you are a stupid angry little goof (no wonder you have been banned so many times). You don't know very much in fact very little, you worship intel and spew crap all over the place. You need to relax and open your eyes.

Nuff said!

RichPLS

Champion
<pre>(o)(o)
>
\~~/
</pre><p><font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well seriously folks, in the end, amd doesnt need dell as much as dell doesnt need amd to succeed. as long as amd sells all the chips it makes, there is no concern here that they must have dell for some reason. heck they have become part of nearly all other oems besides dell, including hp. hey hp may not be as big as dell, but they are big and they will give amd all the business they can handle.

this whole thing makes me laugh, everyone gets so excited to see any glimer of hope that dell picks up amd, when it doesnt even matter. dell's bread and butter are tons and tons of cheap, craptacular systems where they could put via chips in them and the customers wouldnt care. sure getting the top oem would be a nice 'moral' victory for amd, but it gains them little right now.

i see amd hit a new stock price high, getting within a couple dollars of intel's stock price and besting a 52-week high, while intel continues on its stock price slump. amd isnt struggling here and im sure feel pretty good about the future. it may not be reflected in world wide market share, but things are blanacing out more and more. you can site several things including month after month of amd systems outselling intel in the US desktop market. there always need to be an equalization here, intel will soon level out as well and we will be doing this all over again.

this just goes to show how meaningless marketshare talk is. its more about waht the company itself is gaining or loosing, not the market as a whole. its so huge that amd and intel can carve up all they want and be happy lol.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Xeon, I used to stick up for you but you are a stupid angry little goof (no wonder you have been banned so many times). You don't know very much in fact very little, you worship intel and spew crap all over the place. You need to relax and open your eyes.
What in gods green earth are you talking about now, I will say it now you anger me with your constant double talk bull and you out of the blue "I win haha look at me I won".

Nuff said! (sounds really gay even when I say it)

Xeon

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`•¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.•´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
In any case that will hurt Dell also.If they lose there price advantage over HP they will lose market share.It Intel who hold the candle not the others way around

i need to change useur name.

RichPLS

Champion
<pre> \ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
| | H H EEEEE Y Y
| | H H E Y Y
| | HHHHH EEE Y Y
| | H H E Y
| __----__ __----__ | H H EEEEE Y
|/ \ / \|
| | | | M M AAA N N !!
--|\ * / \ * /|-- MM MM A A NN N !!
/ | --____-- --____-- | \ M M M AAAAA N N N !!
| (-| / \ |-) | M M A A N NN
\ |. \____/ .| / M M A A N N ()
--/ \--
/ \
`--______________________--'
\_ _/
`---__ __---'
`----'
</pre><p><font color=red><pre>_____________________________________

RichPLS

Champion
<pre> J L
F J
J L
F J
J L
| L J |
| J F |
| L J |
| | | |
| | . | |
| | __/ \__ | |
| | \ / | |
| | > * < | |
| | /_ _\ | |
| | \ / | |
| | " | |
J | | F
F F J J
J / \ F
F \ .' `. / J
J `. _.-' /@\ `-._ .' F
| |@@@| |
| |@@@| |
| | | |
| | | |
</pre><p>
<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Jeeze Louise, what thread did I wander into???

LOL, man you kids..

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.