Sign in with
Your question

1 keyboard ps/2 >>> 2 different PCs - Will this work?

Tags:
  • PS/2
  • Keyboards
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 1, 2011 8:37:31 PM

I've been searching for a way to use my keyboard on 2 different computers that are next to eachother at the same time. One is a laptop and the other is a desktop.

I used input director which does exactly what I wanted it to but not good enough. Sometimes it did not recognize keystrokes.

So I decided to take a hardware electronic kinda approach. There are plenty of splitters that connect multiple keyboard to one computer or a ps/2 mouse and a ps/2 keyboard into on ps/2 slot, I want to reverse this and create a splitter that connects from the ps/2 keyboard into the other two computer's ps/2 slots.

I read up on this idea and somewhere it said it would not work with USB since it is serial or something like that but it should work with ps/2.

Will this indeed work or will this just conclude into failure?

More about : keyboard pcs work

October 2, 2011 1:34:29 AM

Will it allow me to use the keyboard at the same exact time or will it require it to be switched from one PC to another?

edit: with more googling I found what you were talking about I think

http://www.vetra.com/844text.html

That does exactly what I need to do but it costs way too much. 200 bucks isn't cheap when I'm trying to upgrade my GPU too :) 

Any others you may know of? Thanks for the help so far dude!
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2011 6:32:54 PM

Well the one I linked is not a switch. A switch is used so multiple keyboards can connect to one PC. I am looking for the exact opposite. I want one keyboard connected to 2 different computers and be used at the same exact time without switching. A few names for this is called a broadcaster or multicaster but they are mainly used to multibox World of Warcraft accounts which I am not doing. I'm trying to play a different game with the same concept but it requires zero latency lag. It's a rhythm game kinda like Guitar Hero.

The only ones that can work seem to be highly expensive, 150+ dollars... I can use a soldering iron and attempt to make a splitter but I don't know if it is worth the trouble.

Is there something I am missing about the KVM switches? Can they all multicast/broadcast the same?
m
l
!