TSPP board repair/modification

The bottom right flipper on my TSPP went out yesterday. Long story
short I'm pretty sure the Q16 transistor has gone bad. I've replaced
the fuse that blew and now the flipper goes up immediately each time I
turn the machine on.

I was wondering though about a previous repair/modification that's been
done to the I/O Power Driver Board (not my work, just got the machine 2
days ago). I hope the picture I took gives enough detail and isn't too
large or ... My wife usually takes care of getting any pictures I take
ready for showing the group, but she's still asleep :eek:)

The picture is at http://www.sailsweb.com/pinball/tspp_rep

I'm curious about the jumper being run from Q16 to Q15. Nothing I see
on the board seems to indicate that these two should be connected. I'm
also curious about the diodes being placed between pins 8 and 9 of J9
and the hole for the screw.

Anyone have any ideas about either of these?

Thanks,

Ray

That's odd. It works fine from both my machine and hers. I can right
click on it here in google as I'm replying to this and open it up in a
second window with no problem. Can anyone out there get to the pic
from the link?

Thanks,

Ray

Might be your web host. I didnt work the first two times I tried, but
the third time worked. Odd.

Barry - NY

Works for me too Ray. Good addition to your collection.

John!

abcdelmrs@excite.com wrote:
> That's odd. It works fine from both my machine and hers. I can right
> click on it here in google as I'm replying to this and open it up in a
> second window with no problem. Can anyone out there get to the pic
> from the link?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

>The picture is at >http://www.sailsweb.com/pinball/tspp_rep

I can pull the pic up fine. Kind of blurry, but that looks like a
pretty poor hack job.

>I'm curious about the jumper being run from >Q16 to Q15. Nothing I see
>on the board seems to indicate that these >two should be connected.

The input and output legs of all those high power transistors are tied
to ground via a capacitor for each one. The jumper is probably there to
bridge a broken trace, but I'm not sure.

> I'm
>also curious about the diodes being placed >between pins 8 and 9 of J9
>and the hole for the screw.

The screw hole is ground. The output leg of the transistor gets split,
then goes to the pin of J9 AND through a capacitor to ground. There
aren't any diodes shown in the circuit.

Contact the seller and ask them if they performed the repairs, and why.
Don't bitch at them, just ask so will know what route to take to fix
it. If they buffalo you, call Stern at One-eight hundred-KICKERS and
ask if this was done at the factory and what they suggest you do now.

-cody
CARGPB#4

martin

I don't know the Stern boards but...

The diodes are there to absorb back voltage from the flipper coils.
They look right for that. Could be a factory-required mod or something
"invented" in the field to reduce flipper transistor failures.

The bridge from Q16 to Q15 reflects damage to the board. The bridging
wire makes sure that both transistors have ground. If you look at the
other side of the borad, you'll probably see a broken pad.

I would pull Q16, see if the flipper still sticks. If it does, pull the
associated diode as well. If it still sticks, I would be quite
surprised - we either pulled the wrong parts, or there is a wiring
short.

Replace the transistor (and maybe the diode). Also, inspect the flipper
coil, make sure that it has diodes on it. And if you can, check them
with a meter.

Given the work already done, inspect the flipper coil carefully and
replace it if anything looks fishy.

I'd guess that this has been a recurring problem with this machine.

Wake up your wife. Bad link.