LOTR How many balls?

OK just got my LOTR...

Everytime I power the game on it goes through a ball search. I have 4
balls installed in the game and that's what it says should be there,
but....

Looking at the ball trough there seems to be another switch that may be
looking for the presence of another ball (Or maybe even two)?

During the game it just seemed like there should be more than 4 balls
installed in the game.

Cant I stack Gollum MB (2 balls) with any of the other MBs (3 balls)
for a total of 5 balls on PF at once?

Initial ball search on power up has me wondering....

Thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

Only four balls in mine and it plays fine. I'm thinking you have a
switch problem with your trough. Causing the ball search.

>Cant I stack Gollum MB (2 balls) with any of the other MBs (3 balls)
>for a total of 5 balls on PF at once?

no because there are only 4 balls in the game. Having gollum running
just gives you a 4 ball multiball to start rather than 3.

Enjoy the LotR. It's a great game.

John Pursglove
http://www.southjerseypinball.com

>Harry who just got a Junk Yard to replace his LoTR.

YIKES! You traded in a Rings on a JY?!?! I hope you like JY. I wouldn't
throw a JY in a ... junkyard :)

-cody
CARGPB#4

I will second your "YIKES" comment...

Im still in the LOTR NIB honeymoon, but I gotta think that I would have
a helluva hard time exchanging it for a JY even years down the road.

cchunn3@comcast.net wrote:
> >Harry who just got a Junk Yard to replace his LoTR.
>
> YIKES! You traded in a Rings on a JY?!?! I hope you like JY. I wouldn't
> throw a JY in a ... junkyard :)
>
> -cody
> CARGPB#4

Hey Harry, I hope your enjoying your new JY. We are really enjoying the
LotR. It turned out the display controller board was bad. I replaced
that and haven't had a problem since. I thought it was a power problem
but I tried a few things that didn't resolve it so I decided to get a
display controller board and that fixed it. Enjoy your holiday.

John

Glad to hear you got it up and running. What was the problem?

"John Pursglove" <jp.pinball@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Only four balls in mine and it plays fine. I'm thinking you have a
> switch problem with your trough. Causing the ball search.
>
>>Cant I stack Gollum MB (2 balls) with any of the other MBs (3 balls)
>>for a total of 5 balls on PF at once?
>
> no because there are only 4 balls in the game. Having gollum running
> just gives you a 4 ball multiball to start rather than 3.
>
> Enjoy the LotR. It's a great game.
>
> John Pursglove
> http://www.southjerseypinball.com

On 4 Sep 2005 06:29:36 -0700, skbrothers@comcast.net wrote:

I assume you have gotten your ball search issue fixed by now (a week
later), which I presume was just a bad trough switch. The trough has
5 switches, 4 ball switches and a trough jam switch (in case a ball is
stacked on top of the first ball).

To answer your other question...

>Cant I stack Gollum MB (2 balls) with any of the other MBs (3 balls)
>for a total of 5 balls on PF at once?

This is not how I look at multiballs. You see 2 balls + 3 balls, I
see 1 additional ball-in-play + 2 additional balls-in-play. 1 + 1 + 2
= 4 balls maximum in play at anytime. TSPP uses the same scheme,
although on TSPP it is possible to make the game want more balls than
is installed in the game (5) if you stack all possible multiballs
(couch + I&S + SMS + Pretzel = 2 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 8 additional balls in
play). You only ever get up to 5 of course, but with this knowledge,
you can better space-out your multiballs to maximize multiball time.

This is also why, BTW, if you resurrect Gollum or a movie/ring
multiball with the other you won't have 4 balls in play at start
(because starting a multiball always ADDS balls into play based on the
number of balls on the playfield at that time).

BTW2, it is also possible to resurrect Valinor and get a 16x super
jackpot or so. ;) Doesn't sound as impressive as the 40x ROTK super
I know, but it's worth more.

keith
--
At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
Maybe someday they'll return...