Dimension 8200 RAM type to add

I have a 2 year old Dimension 8200 2.25Ghz computer that needs more
RAM. How do I know what bus speed bus it has and what memory is
really needed? Memorytogo.com has a selector for Dell and for the
8200 2.2G it calls for an ECC kit for 1 or 2 GB but for 512MB it
doesn't specify whether the kit is ECC or non ECC. Does ECC make a
difference or not?
For 2.53Ghz models and higher the cost is higher and module, not kit
is specified.

Thanks,
Bill

Crucial.com sells top quality RAM, and their RAM selector will point you to
the exact RAM you need for your 8200. Don't worry about technicalities like
latency, ECC, etc. Crucial takes care of all the details. All you have to
decide is how many megabytes. If you're interested, Crucial's web site has
tutorials that will explain all the exciting details, like the difference
between ECC and non-ECC. Now there's some interesting reading for
insomniacs.

Lest I sound like an ad for Crucial, there are probably other RAM
manufacturers that offer the same service. I don't have experience with them
because I've always bought from Crucial. RAM prices are market-sensitive, so
you'll find very little difference in price among top quality manufacturers;
a few bucks here or there.

As long as you're reading my opinions, here's another one: Don't buy
'bargain' RAM. Sure, it'll work. Just like your car will still work if you
buy cheap tires.

Rocky

"William Regan" <williamregan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a 2 year old Dimension 8200 2.25Ghz computer that needs more
> RAM. How do I know what bus speed bus it has and what memory is
> really needed? Memorytogo.com has a selector for Dell and for the
> 8200 2.2G it calls for an ECC kit for 1 or 2 GB but for 512MB it
> doesn't specify whether the kit is ECC or non ECC. Does ECC make a
> difference or not?
> For 2.53Ghz models and higher the cost is higher and module, not kit
> is specified.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

I'm quite sure the 8200 uses RDRAM, which Crucial doesn't sell.
It needs PC800 40ns non-ECC RDRAM unfortunately. A 2,26GHz is
a 533 MHz cpu.
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> Crucial.com sells top quality RAM, and their RAM selector will point
you to
> the exact RAM you need for your 8200. Don't worry about technicalities
like
> latency, ECC, etc. Crucial takes care of all the details. All you have
> decide is how many megabytes. If you're interested, Crucial's web site
has
> tutorials that will explain all the exciting details, like the
difference
> between ECC and non-ECC. Now there's some interesting reading for
> insomniacs.
>
> Lest I sound like an ad for Crucial, there are probably other RAM
> manufacturers that offer the same service. I don't have experience
with them
> because I've always bought from Crucial. RAM prices are
market-sensitive, so
> you'll find very little difference in price among top quality
manufacturers;
> a few bucks here or there.
>
> As long as you're reading my opinions, here's another one: Don't buy
> 'bargain' RAM. Sure, it'll work. Just like your car will still work if
you
> buy cheap tires.
>
> Rocky
>
> "William Regan" <williamregan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have a 2 year old Dimension 8200 2.25Ghz computer that needs more
> > RAM. How do I know what bus speed bus it has and what memory is
> > really needed? Memorytogo.com has a selector for Dell and for the
> > 8200 2.2G it calls for an ECC kit for 1 or 2 GB but for 512MB it
> > doesn't specify whether the kit is ECC or non ECC. Does ECC make a
> > difference or not?
> > For 2.53Ghz models and higher the cost is higher and module, not kit
> > is specified.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill

OK. But otherwise, it was a good post. {;->

Rocky

"Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm quite sure the 8200 uses RDRAM, which Crucial doesn't sell.
> It needs PC800 40ns non-ECC RDRAM unfortunately. A 2,26GHz is
> a 533 MHz cpu.
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572
>
> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> > Crucial.com sells top quality RAM, and their RAM selector will point
> you to
> > the exact RAM you need for your 8200. Don't worry about technicalities
> like
> > latency, ECC, etc. Crucial takes care of all the details. All you have
> > decide is how many megabytes. If you're interested, Crucial's web site
> has
> > tutorials that will explain all the exciting details, like the
> difference
> > between ECC and non-ECC. Now there's some interesting reading for
> > insomniacs.
> >
> > Lest I sound like an ad for Crucial, there are probably other RAM
> > manufacturers that offer the same service. I don't have experience
> with them
> > because I've always bought from Crucial. RAM prices are
> market-sensitive, so
> > you'll find very little difference in price among top quality
> manufacturers;
> > a few bucks here or there.
> >
> > As long as you're reading my opinions, here's another one: Don't buy
> > 'bargain' RAM. Sure, it'll work. Just like your car will still work if
> you
> > buy cheap tires.
> >
> > Rocky
> >
> > "William Regan" <williamregan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a 2 year old Dimension 8200 2.25Ghz computer that needs more
> > > RAM. How do I know what bus speed bus it has and what memory is
> > > really needed? Memorytogo.com has a selector for Dell and for the
> > > 8200 2.2G it calls for an ECC kit for 1 or 2 GB but for 512MB it
> > > doesn't specify whether the kit is ECC or non ECC. Does ECC make a
> > > difference or not?
> > > For 2.53Ghz models and higher the cost is higher and module, not kit
> > > is specified.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bill

Yes it was. I use Crucial exclusively and never had a problem.

> OK. But otherwise, it was a good post. {;->
>
> Rocky
>
> "Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm quite sure the 8200 uses RDRAM, which Crucial doesn't sell.
> > It needs PC800 40ns non-ECC RDRAM unfortunately. A 2,26GHz is
> > a 533 MHz cpu.
> > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572
> >
> > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> > > Crucial.com sells top quality RAM, and their RAM selector will
point
> > you to
> > > the exact RAM you need for your 8200. Don't worry about
technicalities
> > like
> > > latency, ECC, etc. Crucial takes care of all the details. All you
have
> > > decide is how many megabytes. If you're interested, Crucial's web
site
> > has
> > > tutorials that will explain all the exciting details, like the
> > difference
> > > between ECC and non-ECC. Now there's some interesting reading for
> > > insomniacs.
> > >
> > > Lest I sound like an ad for Crucial, there are probably other RAM
> > > manufacturers that offer the same service. I don't have experience
> > with them
> > > because I've always bought from Crucial. RAM prices are
> > market-sensitive, so
> > > you'll find very little difference in price among top quality
> > manufacturers;
> > > a few bucks here or there.
> > >
> > > As long as you're reading my opinions, here's another one: Don't
buy
> > > 'bargain' RAM. Sure, it'll work. Just like your car will still
work if
> > you
> > > buy cheap tires.
> > >
> > > Rocky
> > >
> > > "William Regan" <williamregan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Great, too bad they don't sell memory for the Dimension 8200!

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Great, too bad they don't sell memory for the Dimension 8200!

Way to kick Rocket J in the nuts when he's down and has admitted
his error. And you kicked Pen too, and Pen was the one who
pointed out Rocky's error to him.

You really are a piece of work, sometimes, Tom. Shoot first and
then see if there was any target to shoot at? Is that your
philosophy?

Yes, top-posted posts are a mess to read. But I just picked out
the *first* line in each person's post in rearranging them above.
[Granted, I cheated. I had read each of them when posted, and
remembered what I had read.] Was that too hard for you to read,
one sentence in each quoted post, Tom, before stuffing your foot
into your mouth?
--
OJ III

Was it really worth your effort to criticize me?

I offer formal apologies to all involved for my accidentally insulting
anyone. It was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but I seem to have not only
offended those to whom it was directed but also uninolved people as well.

Why do I bother.
"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote

> >"Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> >> Yes it was. I use Crucial exclusively and never had a problem.
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
> >Great, too bad they don't sell memory for the Dimension 8200!
>
> Way to kick Rocket J in the nuts when he's down and has admitted
> his error. And you kicked Pen too, and Pen was the one who
> pointed out Rocky's error to him.
>
> You really are a piece of work, sometimes, Tom. Shoot first and
> then see if there was any target to shoot at? Is that your
> philosophy?
>
> Yes, top-posted posts are a mess to read. But I just picked out
> the *first* line in each person's post in rearranging them above.
> [Granted, I cheated. I had read each of them when posted, and
> remembered what I had read.] Was that too hard for you to read,
> one sentence in each quoted post, Tom, before stuffing your foot
> into your mouth?
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

The easiest thing is to visit the DSell web site, go to the 'support'
section, enter the service tag for your system and you will be able to look
up your systems original configuration.

You should see what looks like your original packing list, and you should
see the memory your system shipped with..

"William Regan" <williamregan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a 2 year old Dimension 8200 2.25Ghz computer that needs more
> RAM. How do I know what bus speed bus it has and what memory is
> really needed? Memorytogo.com has a selector for Dell and for the
> 8200 2.2G it calls for an ECC kit for 1 or 2 GB but for 512MB it
> doesn't specify whether the kit is ECC or non ECC. Does ECC make a
> difference or not?
> For 2.53Ghz models and higher the cost is higher and module, not kit
> is specified.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Bill,

I've installed RDRAM in Dimension 8200s, and parity or non-parity does not seem
to make a difference. And you can mix the two types, tho not in the same pair.
If the motherboard's 850 chipset sees some non-parity memory, it runs the whole
system memory complex as non-parity.

Next, determine what is in your system already. It's easiest to open the cover
and see whether there are two or four RDRAM modules. If there are only two,
then you can add two more, after removing the pair of RAMBUS continuity modules,
which look like memory modules without chips.

How much memory is in the system, and how much do you want to have? I have some
PC800 128MB RDRAM modules here, but nothing larger in capacity... Ben Myers

On 29 Jun 2004 12:20:09 -0700, williamregan@yahoo.com (William Regan) wrote:

>I have a 2 year old Dimension 8200 2.25Ghz computer that needs more
>RAM. How do I know what bus speed bus it has and what memory is
>really needed? Memorytogo.com has a selector for Dell and for the
>8200 2.2G it calls for an ECC kit for 1 or 2 GB but for 512MB it
>doesn't specify whether the kit is ECC or non ECC. Does ECC make a
>difference or not?
>For 2.53Ghz models and higher the cost is higher and module, not kit
>is specified.
>
>Thanks,
>Bill

True. That's one of the benefits of owning or servicing Dell boxes. Might be
easier than opening up the system chassis... Ben Myers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3489523103&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

| When I installed it I got this message:
| Unsupported memory was detected in slot(s):
| RIMM3
| RIMM4
| Please replace with RDRAM PC800-40ns or faster
| The system has been halted.
|
| The part is number on the Viking label is R1281616Z8N2-40, followed by
| G100 and 256MB/16. The serial numbers on the Viking labels are
| 12593870 and 12593889.
| http://www.samsungsemi.com is etched in the metal cover but I can't
| find this part number on the site.
|
| My Dell RAM is Samsung RAM with part number MR16R1624AF0.
|
| Can anyone determine what the problem is based on this info?
|
| Thanks,
| Bill

According to Viking the RAM you purchased may be the 45 ns variety. They
don't appear to guarantee the speed as 40 ns.
http://www.vikingcomponents.com/varchive/vci_collateral/rambus_spec.pdf

Perhaps the eBay seller can help with this or refund your money since the
memory was represented as 40 ns.

Viking reports that you need to special order for Dell:
http://www.vikingcomponents.com/configurator/detail.asp?ConfigID=19275&mid=72433&model=8200

You left off the suffix to the Samsung memory : -*K8 is 45 ns, -*M8 is 40
ns, check what you have and confirm that it is 40 ns, it likely is.

Samsung memory is a much easier commodity to work with. If you can work out
a refund from the eBayer I would still consider ZipoZoomFly (hard to beat
$178 shipping included) or buying Samsung on eBay that matches the Samsung
variety you have.

Kevin