Network Devices not showing up.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
I am running a standard wireless network using the MN-700
base station and MN-710 wireless adapter on a laptop.
Both computers are running SP2, but the MSBN Utility on
each computer shows "No devices found on the local
network" under "network devices". I have troubleshot
(troubleshooted?) every way I know how, including enabling
file sharing on both computers, taking down the SP2
firewall, etc, all with no effect. Does anyone know how
to fix this problem??
Thanks,
James

joker

Uninstall the software.

Windows XP SP2 has built in wireless networking support so the software
is not needed.

Windows 2003 Server is not a supported OS so Microsoft doesn't really
care if it even works on that operating system. This is because most
home users are not going to be running Windows 2003 server & Microsoft
designed the hardware & marketed it to home users.

So do everybody a favor & uninstall the BNU on all computers that meet
any one of the following criteria, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 Server,
or have a wired connection to the router.

James wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running a standard wireless network using the MN-700
> base station and MN-710 wireless adapter on a laptop.
> Both computers are running SP2, but the MSBN Utility on
> each computer shows "No devices found on the local
> network" under "network devices". I have troubleshot
> (troubleshooted?) every way I know how, including enabling
> file sharing on both computers, taking down the SP2
> firewall, etc, all with no effect. Does anyone know how
> to fix this problem??
> Thanks,
> James

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have uninstalled the MSBN software on all the computers
involved. Both computers still have the same problem -
they can't see the other computer in the workgroup. The
workgroup has the same name on both machines, but neither
computer shows up in "my Network places" on either
machine. Any other suggestions?

joker

Try running "\\computer name" (without the quotes of course).

Try ping the computers by IP address. (IE Computer1 pings the IP of
Computer2 & vice versa.)

Please post the results if you get any error messages.

Since this is file & printer sharing it might turn into a Windows issue.

James wrote:
> I have uninstalled the MSBN software on all the computers
> involved. Both computers still have the same problem -
> they can't see the other computer in the workgroup. The
> workgroup has the same name on both machines, but neither
> computer shows up in "my Network places" on either
> machine. Any other suggestions?

I have identically the same problem. I ran the computer
name command, got nothing. I pinged the IP number, and
that worked fine.

still no file sharing/printing.

joker

What was the error message?

We can't help you without that.

This tells me the hardware is working but it doesn't tell me exactly
what your issue is.

It could be a security issue or a DNS issue.

So the error will say which one & then we can help you better or point
you to the newsgroup you should be asking.

Tim J wrote:

> I have identically the same problem. I ran the computer
> name command, got nothing. I pinged the IP number, and
> that worked fine.
>
> still no file sharing/printing.

"network path not found"

joker

Can you ping by Computer name?

What is the computer name that you can't access?

> "network path not found"

the computer's name is Jonasbase

joker

Once again since you only answered one question I'll ask the other question.

Can you ping by Computer name?

> the computer's name is Jonasbase

I cannot ping computer name from the computer that doesn't
show the base station in the BNU.

joker

What is the error you are getting if you try to ping by computer name?