Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thunderbolt

Last response: in Mac Os X
March 21, 2011 2:32:28 AM

I heard that consumers are having problems with this new technology Thunderbolt as their monitors seem not to adhere with this and the picture goes on and off every 10 minutes. Any responses to this? Thanks

More about : thunderbolt

March 21, 2011 7:50:12 AM

It shouldn't. Drivers and updates should fix that. I guess that's what you get for combining a data transfer cable with a display output.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2011 7:53:43 AM

It's what you get for running at the cutting edge. Never buy first generation equipment of new technology unless you're prepared for a few problems.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 7:56:17 AM

Or what you buy isn't used at all.

I bought into 64bit in 2006 because of an article saying how fast and how good PC gaming was going to be with 64bit. I bought a Sempron. My god was that article wrong.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2011 8:07:29 AM

The Athlon 64 was one of my rare exceptions to the "wait a year or two" rule. I just couldn't wait to have a go at 64-bit assembler programming. But other than that, and the chance to try out the less-than-perfect early versions of Linux for the x86_64, it spent most of it's time in 32-bit mode.
m
l
March 22, 2011 3:02:10 AM

Ijack said:
It's what you get for running at the cutting edge. Never buy first generation equipment of new technology unless you're prepared for a few problems.
Don't you think they should iron out the problems before they bring it into the marketplace.This is called GQR and innovative marketing research.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 6:54:20 AM

It's a fact of life that consumers always find faults in new technology and new software that the manufacturers did not anticipate, however thorough their testing. It's just the way things are.

The trouble with trying to make a foolproof technology is that fools are far cleverer than they are given credit for.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 11:06:42 AM

I wonder if the problem is the overheating issue referred to in this article rather than the Thunderbolt interface? It seems likely that this is caused by poor build quality rather than an inherent fault.
m
l
March 23, 2011 2:00:15 AM

Ijack said:
I wonder if the problem is the overheating issue referred to in this article rather than the Thunderbolt interface? It seems likely that this is caused by poor build quality rather than an inherent fault.
That is my point exactly poor quality control on Intel's part.Instead of rushing to bring it out in the market get rid of the bugs first and do more research.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2011 6:38:56 AM

The build quality is an Apple problem, not an Intel one. It's basically a simple question of applying too much thermal paste. (But I suspect that the quest for form over function also plays a part.)
m
l
March 23, 2011 7:03:28 AM

Apple got things wrong. It's function over form :) .
m
l
March 24, 2011 2:23:20 AM

amdfangirl said:
Apple got things wrong. It's function over form :) .
More R &D Apple should adhere to.
m
l
April 27, 2011 1:40:33 AM

Apple isn't perfect, though I enjoy much of their hardware.
m
l
April 27, 2011 3:03:53 AM

halcyon said:
Apple isn't perfect, though I enjoy much of their hardware.
You are right.No one is perfect in life.I still think Apple is a good company.
m
l
April 27, 2011 4:05:34 AM

Apple is also an expensive company :) .
m
l

Best solution

April 27, 2011 11:22:11 AM

Thunderbolt...haven't heard/read of errors yet but I'm wondering how come they haven't made thunderbolt drive enclosures that you can add your own 2.5" or 3.5" SATA II/III drive to and have them run at the drive's full interface speed. Seems like that'd be quite popular to me. ...perhaps they're coming.

The big draw to Apple for me is their build quality/design. Of course you can get as much if not more power for less money. You can also get a Ford Mustang to go as fast as an BMW M3...and some would prefer the Mustang. Yes, Lian Li makes nice aluminum copy-cat chassis' (that are really nice quality) that an enthusiast in the know can use to build a nice rig...and if that enthusiast cares they can do a nice wiring job...and save a lot of $$$. ...but, I appreciate both my Mac Pro and the durable unibody aluminum chassis of the MacBook Pro. ...and they're both really really quiet, for their power, which is important to me (I tried and tried to get a powerful PC rig to be as quiet as my Mac Pro).

For the many of THG readers these points are not worth the money and are unimportant, if not irrelevant.

Build quality and design are some of the price premium, but much of it is just Apple being greedy. :sarcastic: 

April 27, 2011 4:09:20 PM

halcyon said:
Thunderbolt...haven't heard/read of errors yet but I'm wondering how come they haven't made thunderbolt drive enclosures that you can add your own 2.5" or 3.5" SATA II/III drive to and have them run at the drive's full interface speed. Seems like that'd be quite popular to me. ...perhaps they're coming.

because USB3 is plenty fast for any mechanical HDD out there and those drives don't come close to hitting their interface bandwidth (as they are incapable of doing so), so there is no point to make an enclosure with an interface that is new and on a very small market share of computers
m
l
April 27, 2011 4:21:22 PM

Most of the big drive makers make Firewire 400/800 external drives...so I have a feeling the same audience that would be in the market for those might be in the market for a Thunderbolt drive. ...but you maybe right. Perhaps the Mac market is too small. Fortunately, my MB Pro has an Express Car slot so I can at least do eSATA. ...but daising chaining drives without impact on performance would be nice.
m
l
April 27, 2011 5:02:31 PM

I think Apple designs excellent products.

I'd still be using a Macbook if it had a proper anti-glare option on the 13".
m
l
April 27, 2011 5:10:03 PM

halcyon said:
Most of the big drive makers make Firewire 400/800 external drives...so I have a feeling the same audience that would be in the market for those might be in the market for a Thunderbolt drive. ...but you maybe right. Perhaps the Mac market is too small. Fortunately, my MB Pro has an Express Car slot so I can at least do eSATA. ...but daising chaining drives without impact on performance would be nice.

i personally just use my file server for all of my storage and if i need to bring anything to someone i put it on my laptop, having a 640GB internal on the laptop is nice
m
l
April 27, 2011 5:43:58 PM

amdfangirl said:
I think Apple designs excellent products.

I'd still be using a Macbook if it had a proper anti-glare option on the 13".

I opted for the anti-glare on my MacBook Pro (in fact I took back the glossy-screened one I had to get the anti-glare). Its makes a big difference and I wish they'd just make it the default with the lower-cost glossy as an option.
m
l
April 28, 2011 2:53:50 AM

Best answer selected by musical marv.
m
l
April 28, 2011 3:59:31 AM

halcyon said:
I opted for the anti-glare on my MacBook Pro (in fact I took back the glossy-screened one I had to get the anti-glare). Its makes a big difference and I wish they'd just make it the default with the lower-cost glossy as an option.

Problem is, I can't get the matte display with an 11" or 13" Macbook, and I really need the portability. It would be nice to have a 15" but I'm really not that rich (considering I can get 5-6 of the laptop I have now for that price)
m
l
April 28, 2011 9:34:07 AM

I've used both the 11" and 13" MacBook Air (2010) and their glossy displays aren't quite as glossy as the typical glass-glossy MacBook. ...even they would be a nice improvement. Don't get me wrong though, even though I prefer the non-glossy matt display the glossy one still produces rich colors and nice blacks.
m
l
!