Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What to look for in a surge protector before buying one.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 4, 2011 5:24:50 AM

Recently bought DIY PC and I am undecided on which surge protector to get as I don't have much experience, if any, with which options to look for before buying one. Therefore, please help me out.

I would need one with at least 6 outlets [1 for PC, 2 for 3d monitor, 1 for Stereo System, 1 for 1080p projector, 1 for HDTV).

Also, what main surge protector features I should look for my PC build:

CPU i5-2500k
HD SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
PSU PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155
Case Rosewill Smart One
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
OS Win7 Pro

I am really hoping someone answers within a single day as I want to get one before my shipment arrives which is this wednesday! So, please do let me know what you got to offer for my question!

More about : surge protector buying

October 4, 2011 2:46:06 PM

I have this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In service for over a year. That really means that I have not had any surges greater than the protection that the surge strip provides.

No type of surge protection will protect against a lightning strike. During thunderstorms, I UNPLUG all my computers and sensitive electronic devices from the wall outlet. I do the same when I go out of town.
Score
October 4, 2011 3:07:46 PM

Ubrales said:
I have this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In service for over a year. That really means that I have not had any surges greater than the protection that the surge strip provides.

No type of surge protection will protect against a lightning strike. During thunderstorms, I UNPLUG all my computers and sensitive electronic devices from the wall outlet. I do the same when I go out of town.

That is too expensive for me as my budget is under $20. Have any other suggestions?
Score
Related resources
October 4, 2011 6:09:00 PM

Ubrales said:
This one meets your requirements: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

7 outlets, $14, and free shipping too.

1. Also I am wondering that do I really need a surge protector for my PC since my PSU aleady has a OV [over volatage] protection and only want a getting surge protector for only the PC? Also, does OV protection also protects from power surges or is that a diffferent thing?

2. Do you think I also need a surge protect for kitchen appliances [blender, microwave, toaster, slow cooker, electic oven]. I am ONLY asking because if their is a power surge and their is no surge protector connected to these kitchen appliances, will that mistake damage my PC AND MONITOR ONLY in any way [which will be connected to surge protector and different outlets than kitchen appliances]?
Score
October 4, 2011 7:04:35 PM

otaku3230 said:
1. Also I am wondering that do I really need a surge protector for my PC since my PSU aleady has a OV [over volatage] protection and only want a getting surge protector for only the PC? Also, does OV protection also protects from power surges or is that a diffferent thing?

2. Do you think I also need a surge protect for kitchen appliances [blender, microwave, toaster, slow cooker, electic oven]. I am ONLY asking because if their is a power surge and their is no surge protector connected to these kitchen appliances, will that mistake damage my PC AND MONITOR ONLY in any way [which will be connected to surge protector and different outlets than kitchen appliances]?

1. Look at it this way. You do need a power strip. Most power strips these days come with some sort of surge protection. The one for $14 will perform well in your case.

2. Most homes/apartments do not have surge protectors for kitchen appliances. I don't have them and they are not needed. For kitchen appliances what is required is a GFI circuit breaker built into the wall outlet. Most homes have those in the kitchen, bathrooms, and in the garage.
Score
October 4, 2011 7:43:48 PM

Ubrales said:
2. Most homes/apartments do not have surge protectors for kitchen appliances. I don't have them and they are not needed. For kitchen appliances what is required is a GFI circuit breaker built into the wall outlet. Most homes have those in the kitchen, bathrooms, and in the garage.

But if their a power surge or over volatage in my kitchen appliances, it won't damage my PC right, since they are not connected in the same outlet.
Score

Best solution

October 4, 2011 10:23:32 PM

otaku3230 said:
But if their a power surge or over volatage in my kitchen appliances, it won't damage my PC right, since they are not connected in the same outlet.

Let me try and explain it a little better. An incoming power surge (very rare) will affect all devices connected to the home power circuits. Within a home, the power distribution is done by several individual circuits each with its own circuit breaker. These circuit breakers are primarily for protection against over current as in a short circuit.

Let's say that your computer is on the second floor and you have a refrigerator on the first floor. These are on two separate circuits. However, when the refrigerator turns ON, there will be a brief, small, power sag in the other circuits within the home. You will notice this by a slight dimming (or flicker) of lights; it is very slight. This does not cause any problem to your computer or to any other devices.

Go ahead and get the power strip that I suggested; the $14 item. It will work fine for you.
October 4, 2011 10:45:57 PM

Best answer selected by otaku3230.
Score
October 4, 2011 11:50:08 PM

Thank you!
Score
October 5, 2011 12:17:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!