Change the Username in Windows address paths?

Addlement

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello,

I recently purchased a used business computer, and while everything else is running smoothly, I have one issue I cannot figure out. I have successfully renamed the main account to what I want it to be from the previous one (which was simply <Business Name Main>), but the location path for all the users' files and folders has maintained the previous name, not the new one. Is there any way to fix this?

For reference, I'm trying to change the <User Name> part of the path for things like C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents and such.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Addlement

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

I thought that, too. I bought it from my work since they were upgrading, and it was the receptionist computer that didn't really have anything that needed to be confidential on it, at least. I just figured I'd keep the main account if at all possible, since it already has the software I'd need preinstalled, as I telecommute.

I suppose I can wipe the account and start from new, if that's what needs to be done.

It is better to do as SchizTech suggested as you are starting with a fresh user profile which could get rid of some problems that that profile may have when logged in.. You don't have to delete the old profile.

BTW, the software that is on there will still be on there for the new user profile, in the Start Menu.

Here is a bit of a trick to get around it, but I prefer Schiz' mentod as I stated above:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454362

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

You won't lose programs if they are installed in "Program files" folder...
Anyway you can try this

run>lusrmgr.msc

click on "User" tab on left panel
Find the account listed on the right panel
Double-click to open the properties for that account
Change the Full Name which is still having the old name to your name
Apply>OK
Logoff/Reboot

Check if the path has changed...

EDIT: You need to be logged in as a administrator