ANN: pinball.enthusiast.newsgroup

Subject: ANN: Launch of pinball.enthusiast.group Newsgroup

This is to announce the creation and launch of a newsgroup which will be
focused on providing discussion and help for the pinball community. It will
operate very similar as rec.games.pinball, and in fact uses the same NNTP
(newsgroup) technology. The rationale for this newsgroup is to create a
positive environment open to all who follow the guidelines to participate in
the newsgroup (mainly posting). We expect the pinball
(pinball.enthusiast.group and rec.games.pinball) newsgroups to co-exist
nicely, and the major differences are is that pinball.enthusiast.group will
a) have a set of user guidelines and a group of peers to monitor the group,
b) you will need an account/password (which is available to all) -AND- can
still be anonymous to others on the group (posting name, posting e-mail and
can change them at will). BUT, in cases where there issues, we can identify
the user and remove posts/account if needed, and c) small pictures (<30Kb)
can be posted.

We will attempt to strike a balance of accountabiltiy in posts while
maintaining a public degree of anonymity as desired, which we believe will
allow for a constructive environment which is sometimes difficult in a fully
open anonymous setting. Those posting to the newsgroup will be able to do so
within the published guidelines which are basically in a postive,
constructive, and helpful tone, and we will also have a number of newsgroup
senior folks - a group of peers (gop@pinballnewsgroups.com) responsible for
insuring that the newsgroup stays on that track. Note that this newsgroup is
a private newsgroup and is not associated in any way with usenet newsgroups,
etc. It is also open to all - all pinball enthusiasts whether you own a
pinball or not, all vendors and suppliers, etc - this is not a commercial
venture in any way..

We encourage all of you to get an account and use these side by side (as in
newsreaders like Outlook Express, etc). In addition, there is also a web
interface for the pinball.enthusiast.group as well. To request an account,
we will ask for Name, E-mail, Phone # which will be kept private and used
only to administer the newsgroup. You can send this to
subscribe@pinballnewsgroups.com - after a quick review and possible
additional e-mail to confirm, you will be sent an account/password and setup
info, which for those using newsreaders will configure into your favorite
newsreader, and otherwise you can always access and post to the group thru
the web interface at www.pinballnewsgroups.com

There is a full overview of the current FAQ and Guidelines on the newsgroup
now, which can be accesed via newsreaders without a account/password
(read-only, no posting) using the configuration:

NNTP Server: news.pinballnewsgroups.com
Subscribe To: pinball.enthusiast.group

Note, with the launch there may be a slight delay of 1-2 days due to
potential large number of requests, we will do our best to process these
requests as quickly as possible.

postmaster@pinballnewsgroups.com

Good to see Gary has a head start in the new group...

AB

pinballnewsgroups.com wrote:
> [...]
> only to administer the newsgroup. You can send this to
> subscribe@pinballnewsgroups.com - after a quick review and possible
> additional e-mail to confirm, you will be sent an account/password and setup
> info, which for those using newsreaders will configure into your favorite
> newsreader, and otherwise you can always access and post to the group thru
> the web interface at www.pinballnewsgroups.com
>
> There is a full overview of the current FAQ and Guidelines on the newsgroup
> now, which can be accesed via newsreaders without a account/password
> (read-only, no posting) using the configuration:
>
> NNTP Server: news.pinballnewsgroups.com
> Subscribe To: pinball.enthusiast.group
>
> Note, with the launch there may be a slight delay of 1-2 days due to
> potential large number of requests, we will do our best to process these

anyone can participate so long as they are positive and constructive in the
group ... open to all

Thanks, but no thanks. RGP is quite sufficient for me.

-cody
CARGPB#4

WTF, this is stupid, ..... Like I really want to have to check 2
groups?... pffft

Yet another attempt to moderate/control/censor RGP.

Count me out. This group right here is the best.

> [...]
> only to administer the newsgroup. You can send this to
> subscribe@pinballnewsgroups.com - after a quick review and possible
> additional e-mail to confirm, you will be sent an account/password and setup
> info, which for those using newsreaders will configure into your favorite
> newsreader, and otherwise you can always access and post to the group thru
> the web interface at www.pinballnewsgroups.com
>
> There is a full overview of the current FAQ and Guidelines on the newsgroup
> now, which can be accesed via newsreaders without a account/password
> (read-only, no posting) using the configuration:
>
> NNTP Server: news.pinballnewsgroups.com
> Subscribe To: pinball.enthusiast.group
>
> Note, with the launch there may be a slight delay of 1-2 days due to
> potential large number of requests, we will do our best to process these

So far I like who I'm seeing -- talented and knowledgeable RGP regulars who
want to talk rationally about pinball, and none of the hate-spewing
malcontents who seem to permeate RGP these days. Sounds cool to me ;-)

Randy

"pinballnewsgroups.com" <postmaster@pinballnewsgroups.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> and used only to administer the newsgroup. You can send this to
> subscribe@pinballnewsgroups.com - after a quick review and possible
> additional e-mail to confirm, you will be sent an account/password and
> setup info, which for those using newsreaders will configure into your
> favorite newsreader, and otherwise you can always access and post to the
> group thru the web interface at www.pinballnewsgroups.com
>
> There is a full overview of the current FAQ and Guidelines on the
> newsgroup now, which can be accesed via newsreaders without a
> account/password (read-only, no posting) using the configuration:
>
> NNTP Server: news.pinballnewsgroups.com
> Subscribe To: pinball.enthusiast.group
>
> Note, with the launch there may be a slight delay of 1-2 days due to
> potential large number of requests, we will do our best to process these

Group dynamics is interesting. And quite predictable.

John!

I agree Lloyd. So often discussions get heated and personal and insults
and offenses get thrown around. I am guilty of all of that and regret
some things I've said here. But I won't let my pride or stupidity keep
me off the group. Life's too short. Enjoy it and participate while you
can, 'cause way too soon it's Game Over.

-cody
CARGPB#4

"Randy P." <pinball@REMOVEthepecks.com> wrote in message
> So far I like who I'm seeing -- talented and knowledgeable RGP regulars
who
> want to talk rationally about pinball, and none of the hate-spewing
> malcontents who seem to permeate RGP these days. Sounds cool to me ;-)
>
> Randy

I'm POSITIVE this will never fly....hey at least I wasn't being negative.

--
Eric A.
eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net

Mr. Propane Torch!!

ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
Remove NOSPAM to reply

actually rgp has the least amount of hate being spewed of the groups i
visit regularly. nothing is perfect fellas. even moderated groups have
issues, mostly favroritism.

as long as rgp has cliff im not going anywhere.

I'm slowly working my way back in Lloyd and am struggling REAL hard to bite
my tongue on a lot of the stuff I see here lately.
--
Ron -- CARGPB7
ronstr@asisnotapplicable.com (change not applicable to na)

In article <362dnQwGLdwGzobeRVnyrw@pghconnect.com>, ltg@ssbilliards.com
says...

On 4 Sep 2005 16:03:53 -0700, azarcadegames@cox.net wrote:

>actually rgp has the least amount of hate being spewed of the groups i
>visit regularly. nothing is perfect fellas. even moderated groups have
>issues, mostly favroritism.
>
>as long as rgp has cliff im not going anywhere.

RGP doesn't seem bad to me. A private group is sort of like a gated
community and the idea offends my sensibilities.

Doomed to failure. As wierd as this place gets nobody wants a moderated
group.
--

In article <EMmdnRWiDrqR2YbeRVn-uw@comcast.com>,
postmaster@pinballnewsgroups.com says...
> Subject: ANN: Launch of pinball.enthusiast.group Newsgroup
>
> This is to announce the creation and launch of a newsgroup which will be
> focused on providing discussion and help for the pinball community. It will
> operate very similar as rec.games.pinball, and in fact uses the same NNTP
> (newsgroup) technology. The rationale for this newsgroup is to create a
> positive environment open to all who follow the guidelines to participate in
> the newsgroup (mainly posting).
[SNIP]...

I'm not interested in reading another group and especially not having
archives is one place. I'll pass for now unless I hear that it's really a
happening thing.

GRY

"Kenbo" <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com> wrote in message
> On 4 Sep 2005 16:03:53 -0700, azarcadegames@cox.net wrote:
>
>>actually rgp has the least amount of hate being spewed of the groups i
>>visit regularly. nothing is perfect fellas. even moderated groups have
>>issues, mostly favroritism.
>>
>>as long as rgp has cliff im not going anywhere.
>
> RGP doesn't seem bad to me. A private group is sort of like a gated
> community and the idea offends my sensibilities.

Hey thanks for the vote of confidence, Darin :) Actually you can find me
in many pinball related forums and groups. Yep, I got signed up on PEG
too. What the heck, try it out, I say, see if it's happenin'.
I'm also on marty's EM yahoo group, Ken Layton's prewar pinball yahoo
group, The VP forums, shiva, nirvana and a german group. Occasionally
I'll pop in on #pinball on irc too. Dude, I'm everywhere! :p

azarcadegames@cox.net wrote:
> actually rgp has the least amount of hate being spewed of the groups i
> visit regularly. nothing is perfect fellas. even moderated groups have
> issues, mostly favroritism.
>
> as long as rgp has cliff im not going anywhere.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Glad to see you about Ron ! Always a welcome site to see your posts. LTG :)

On Sun, 04 Sep, Kenbo wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2005 16:03:53 -0700, azarcadegames@cox.net wrote:
>>actually rgp has the least amount of hate being spewed of the groups i
>>visit regularly. nothing is perfect fellas. even moderated groups have
>>issues, mostly favroritism.
>>
>>as long as rgp has cliff im not going anywhere.

I believe the new group has cliffy, too.

> RGP doesn't seem bad to me. A private group is sort of like a gated
> community and the idea offends my sensibilities.

It's not a private group, though. It's simply a group where hate spewing
won't be tolerated. Conflicting opinions will be. Pinball topics will be.
Off topic stuff probably won't be. Being a jerk to other folks won't be.

Personally, I'd prefer the same group to have setup a web forum instead of
another news server. Easier to administer and easier for most people to
use. More features, too (like email notification on thread replies if you
want them, inline pictures, private messaging, etc). I'm very much in
favor of the idea, but I probably won't check it since it's another NNTP
server and I'm not an Outlook Express user (and never will be).

--Donnie

Donnie ...

correct, it's not a private group, just a monitored one with guidelines,
monitored by long standing rgp'ers.

It does have a web forum as well as NNTP Newserver, so the best of both -
the web interface is at www.pinballnewsgroups.com and does include e-mail
alerts, inline pictures.

> anyone can participate so long as they are positive and constructive in
> the group ... open to all

In the famous words of Cosmo Kramer..

...............I'm out...

;-)

Diane

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Though I for one AM happy to see you post, Ron - I miss your contributions.
Perhaps a minority, but nonetheless you should know.

Chris

"Ron Strom" <SeeMySig@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I'm slowly working my way back in Lloyd and am struggling REAL hard to
> bite
> my tongue on a lot of the stuff I see here lately.
> --
> Ron -- CARGPB7
> ronstr@asisnotapplicable.com (change not applicable to na)
>
> In article <362dnQwGLdwGzobeRVnyrw@pghconnect.com>, ltg@ssbilliards.com
> says...
>> It would be nice to see some of the people who don't post here any more
>> return, as well as those that are hesitant to post. Everybody that
>> contributes helps everbody. LTG :)
>>
>> "Randy P." <pinball@REMOVEthepecks.com> wrote in message
>> > So far I like who I'm seeing -- talented and knowledgeable RGP regulars
>> who
>> > want to talk rationally about pinball, and none of the hate-spewing
>> > malcontents who seem to permeate RGP these days. Sounds cool to me ;-)
>> >
>> > Randy

Ron Strom <SeeMySig@nowhere.net> wrote in

> I'm slowly working my way back in Lloyd and am struggling REAL hard to
> bite my tongue on a lot of the stuff I see here lately.

I'd been wondering where you were, Ron! :)

On Mon, 05 Sep, pinballnewsgroups.com wrote:
> Donnie ...
>
> correct, it's not a private group, just a monitored one with guidelines,
> monitored by long standing rgp'ers.
>
> It does have a web forum as well as NNTP Newserver, so the best of both -
> the web interface is at www.pinballnewsgroups.com and does include e-mail
> alerts, inline pictures.

Wow, not bad. Not bad at all.

--Donnie