Sign in with
Your question

Opinions On New Computer Please!

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2004 8:05:09 PM

Hi, I'm building a new system from scratch and I'd like some suggestions/opinions. Here's what I've come up with so far -- the components are followed by their prices (and shipping/tax are already accounted for):

Case - Antec P160WF
$119

PSU - Enermax Noisetaker EG425P-VE-SFM
$68

Mobo - ASUS A8V Deluxe (K8T800 Pro)
$100 (refurb)

CPU - Athlon64 3000+ 939pin (1.8 GHz OCed to 2.6)
$155

Heatsink - Thermalright XP-120/XP-90
$45

RAM - 2 X 512MB PC3200, I'm not sure on the exact brand ATM
$150-$200

Sound - On-board
$0

Graphics - BFG nVidia GeForce 6800 GT
$330 (discounted)

Monitor - NEC/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb (WITHOUT SV)
$300

DVD Burner - NEC ND-3500A
$70

HDs - WD740 (Partitioned)
$152

Mouse - Logitech MX1000
$70

Now, my budget is around $1500 (including all shipping, I've gotten free shipping for a lot, though), so I don't really want to spend more than that. There are a few sacrifices I've had to make. But I'd be very willing to reallocate funds between components. For example, spend less on the case and more on the CPU, or get an MX510 instead of MX1000. So what do you all think?

--Thanks

Edit: Oh yea, I'll be using Windows XP. Also, I'm using the system primarily for gaming, but I'll be programming/compiling, and also using 3D apps for MOD making. Thanks again.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poopspray on 11/19/04 05:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : opinions computer

November 18, 2004 9:21:46 PM

u could spend less on a case and get a good quality one for the 60-100 price range and get more juice with the psu (350 aint cutting it with a 6800GT and everything.

u prolly dont need that sound card, seeing that the onboard sound looks pretty good (unless u getting 7.1 speakers)

i would personally go with the NEC drive on the DVD burner, as they perform very well, although most of the burners do well.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">
NEC DVD-Burner </A>

Homer: (crying) ahhh i dont remember the last time i cried like this!
Lisa: When u put ur shirt on backwards
Homer: (crying) o ya, (crying) the tag chafed my skin (crying)
November 18, 2004 10:29:47 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm definitely taking that NEC drive over the Lite-on. Why not? They cost the same and the NEC is dual layer AND faster.

As for the onboard sound -- it looks alright, seems to support front/rear/center (which is necessary for my Zalman Theatre 6 headphones), and seems to support A3D and EAX. I'm a tad hesitent to go with it as it only supports the old A3D and EAX APIs (1.0 and 1.0-2.0 respectively), as far as I know -- please inform me if I'm wrong. I don't know how much difference this will make with new video games, etc., but I suppose I can always buy a new sound card later.

Yeah, I'll probably go with a different case as well. That one's price isn't right for the performance. Also, what PSU wattage should I be going for here? I've been looking at and Aerocool AeroPower II 450w for around $55. Is that enough?

Thanks.
Related resources
November 18, 2004 10:34:31 PM

Can you hold off for a couple of weeks? Pci-exp boards are coming into the loop now. I dont like express much, but unfortunately, it is the future.
November 18, 2004 10:51:45 PM

I had originally planned to hold off, but that presents three problems.

First is that I'd probably have to wait until after Christmas break, and I'm going nuts waiting (you would too if you were on a 400MHz computer...that's right -- 400 whole MHz!).

Second, and I could be wrong on this, PCI-E boards are going to be a tad expensive.

And third, well, I really can't afford a 6800 GT (PCI-E) card, and I don't want to settle for a 6600 GT (PCI-E) because even the 6800 GT (AGP) performs far better. Thus, the reason I'm going for AGP. Most boards won't offer PCI-E and AGP in tandem, and if they do, they'll probably a) be expensive or b) will have skimpped on some other features/components. I don't know though really.

I know I could just wait longer and/or spend more money, but I'm trying to get it before the holidays and for a reasonable price.
November 18, 2004 10:54:01 PM

Please dont wait.
November 18, 2004 11:01:40 PM

lol. I'm the envy of all my friends y'know. All I have to say is "My computer has four HUNDRED megahertz. Do you even realize how many hertz that is?"

Actually, usually they just laugh at me and go play Doom 3 on their crappy rigs...which are still better than my 400MHz...
November 18, 2004 11:27:04 PM

OK, I've made some changes to my list, and I'm pretty sure it's for the better.

Case - changed from Cooler Master CAV-T01
------ to Antec P160.

PSU - changed from (included) Cooler Master 350w
------ to Aeropower II 450w.

Sound - changed from Audigy 2 ZS
------ to on-board AC'97

DVD - changed from Lite-On SOHW-1633S
------ to NEC ND-3500A

Hey, I've got a little extra cash from choosing the on-board sound over the Audigy 2 ZS sooo....

CPU - changed from Athlon64 3000+ 939pin
------ to Athlon64 3200+ 939pin

I'm a little scared on the quality of the AC'97 but it's probably fine.

Thanks guys. Let me know what you think about the new setup. Suggestions from anyone are very welcome!
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2004 12:58:44 AM

I'd get an nForce3 chipset motherboard. I've heard good things about the Gigabyte board and a few others.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 19, 2004 1:43:37 AM

I hate to ask, but I've been reading reviews/price comparisons for hours and I'm tired -- so, why should I opt for nForce3 vs a K8T800 Pro board? Looks like the onboard sound is actually better on that Gigabyte, so that's one reason. But what makes it better?

Sidenote: turns out the Aeropower II doesn't have a SATA power connector. So I got an Enermax Noisetaker EG425P-VE-SFM instead. Better features it looks like anyway.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poopspray on 11/18/04 10:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 19, 2004 2:00:10 AM

Via chipsets were the reason people thought amd chips were buggy. There have been a long list of compatability problems with via chipsets. I doubt that via and soundblaster have ever taken the time to make thier products work right together. There is also an issue between via and certain nvidia graphics cards in winxp.
November 19, 2004 2:30:53 AM

If that's all true I'm definitely going nForce3.
November 19, 2004 6:46:37 AM

You could shave 70$ off by going for a 3000+ instead of a 3200+, 90nm Winchester CPUs are amazing overclockers.

I'd rather spend that money on a good copper heat-sink and some low latency ram than on 200 stock MHz when I know that the 3000+ can hit 2.6GHz on stock cooling and voltage.

Overclocking is a wonderfull way to turn a cheap 'rig into a killer gaming beast !!

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2.5GHz (217MHz x 11.5)
Abit NF7-S V2.0
2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
Sapphire Radeon 9700 128MB @ 360/310
2x Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM RAID-0
November 19, 2004 10:27:53 AM

2.6 on stock cooling!!! wow that is a good o/cer. what would u b able to get with a good hsf?

Homer: (crying) ahhh i dont remember the last time i cried like this!
Lisa: When u put ur shirt on backwards
Homer: (crying) o ya, (crying) the tag chafed my skin (crying)
November 19, 2004 8:15:13 PM

About that Gigabyte --

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2866...

-- This thread makes that board (both the SNXP and SN Ultra) out to be pretty bad. I don't know what's accurate and what's innaccurate, but I'm kind of put off by it now. Also, Gigabytes aren't compatible with Thermalright's XP heatsink series -- which isn't horrible, but still a let down.

SidViscious --
Thanks! That is some sweet news. I'm definitely going to OC.

Ok, I think I've made up my mind.

I'll change my first post to reflect my decisions. If anyone has any final suggestions I'd like to hear them. Thank you guys so much for your input. I changed my rig pretty substantially with your help. I'll probably still make some changes but not any big ones.
November 19, 2004 9:47:43 PM

The XP-120 does'nt come with a fan, you will have to install one on top of it to maximise its cooling efficiency, a nice 120mm aluminium fan will blend in nicely and and give it a killer look !

BTW, I am glad that my input helped you out, that rig you are building will definetly make you happy !

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2.5GHz (217MHz x 11.5)
Abit NF7-S V2.0
2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
Sapphire Radeon 9700 128MB @ 360/310
2x Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM RAID-0
!