Need help choosing a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
1_What is your budget?

$750 - $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14" - 15"

3_What screen resolution do you want?

i guess a 720p would be nice

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

a mixture of both actually

5_How much battery life do you need?

3 hrs minimum

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

NO, i don't need it for gaming

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

I'm an architectural engineer, so i need it to perform well with programs like 3ds max, autocad, etc...

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

320 - 500 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

i won't buy it online

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

as long as possible

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

a DVD writer would be enough

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

the brand doesn't matter as long as it has what i want

13_What country do you live in?

saudi arabia

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

as i said i live in saudi arabia so the choices available are limited, also is the i3 that bad compared to the i5, will there be a big difference between them with 3ds max, specially in rendering time??
i'll list the different laptops that i found with there prices around here coz i really can't choose:

Samsung r580 = $960
Toshiba Sattelite L650-116 = $985
HP Pavillion DV6-2131 = $773
HP Pavillion DV6-2158 = $985
acer aspire AS5741G = $800

there are 2 more laptops from sony but they're over my budget (sony laptops here come at a premium price), i really like sony's designs but do you think they're worth it compare to the others

Sony vaio E series VPCEA16FGB = $1220
Sony vaio E series VPCEB26FAB = $1100

i really need your help because i don't really know. should i go with the i3 to save the money or will the i5 be worth the extra cash, and which one would you prefer of these and why, also if there are other laptops around that you think are better please mention them and i could look for them here although highly unlikely. thanks in advance :)

bliq

Distinguished
To be honest, since you're going to use it for work, I wouldn't buy a consumer class laptop. I'd be looking at Dell, Lenovo, and HP's professional lines. Dell Vostro/Lattitude/Precision or HP (I don't know what their business class is called, ours are 6910p's) and Lenovo ThinkPads.

Dell Precision notebooks are specifically designed to do the kind of work you're doing. Might be out of the budget though- looks like they start at $1239 in the U.S.

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

thanks a lot, i really like it's features specially the i7 processor and the radeon 5730 and the price is great too but unfortunately it's not available around here :(

Cobra007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

thanks, but unfortunately most of these kind of laptops are over my budget and very few models are available here

Status
Not open for further replies.