Sign in with
Your question

Overheating

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2004 9:31:16 AM

I've just installed a new motherboard, ram and cpu, and am finding that the processor is running at about 68 degrees celsius just on the desktop. Is this normal? If not, why is it running so hot? Also, if you install a new mobo, cpu and ram - should you reinstall windows xp? Because I am encountering very unusual errors, including games or exe's that refuse to run...

Thanks

More about : overheating

November 20, 2004 12:22:04 PM

Is this a Prescott? That is a little high for max load temp, could check to see if properly seated using Artic Silver 5.
It is a good idea to reinstall os, but usually can be done, with some finesse.

You didnt give any info about your system, all are not created equal, really.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
November 20, 2004 12:43:46 PM

We need more inforamtion. What is your case like? How many fans are running inside the case and where? Of course, the cpu would be helpful to.

bjpatrick@gmail.com
Related resources
November 20, 2004 5:57:05 PM

Sorry, just forgot to do this before. It's an AMD AthlonXP 2600. The case is a generic one - but it is relatively well ventilated with a top fan as well as the power supply fan. Besides, the system temperature is remaining relatively cool - its the cpu temperature I'm worried about. I'm using the stock cooler on the cpu mainly because it's what came with the cpu and it does say in the packaging that it should be sufficient.
November 20, 2004 6:03:43 PM

You might not of seated the HS on the CPU properly. You did remove the plastic film from the HS?

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
November 20, 2004 6:45:07 PM

Yes, I check that I had installed it correctly, and it was fine. The cpu is still running at 64 degrees with the case open. The system temperature is fine at about 35 degrees. I cannot alter the vcore setting manually - its only possible to do it in auto mode - I can only adjust it by increasing by 5%, 7.5% and 10% increments.
November 20, 2004 7:13:19 PM

Is this your first time to install a processor? The reason that I ask is becasue they can be a bit tricky if you never have seated one.
November 20, 2004 7:20:53 PM

Yes, it is my first time installing an athlon xp - i have played with plenty of old pentiums and the odd pentium 4. Well I followed the instructions exactly as said and it is sitting properly - the heat pad is directly on top of the processor. The maximum operating temperature of the athlon xp's is 80 degrees, so i figured i should be right - it just seemed very high compared to some old 1800's i got running at like 45 degrees. It may just be the crappy stock cooler. I've set the CPU temp warning to 80 degrees, and if it ever hits that, I'll start worrying about it again.
November 20, 2004 7:23:03 PM

I thought the Prescotts ran hot, That is hotter than My Prescott 3200!

November 20, 2004 7:29:42 PM

Im just not sure about AMD, but it sounds like you have some sort of issue. What brand MOBO do you have? My MOBO software reports bogus temps, however they are low on mine. Tell me what barnd and model your mobo is and I will look in MBM 5 and see if yours is listed
November 20, 2004 7:53:30 PM

It's a gigabyte 7N400-L motherboard - but I don't think there's a problem with the reading because the heatsink feels hot. I think I will ring the company I bought it from, tell them whats happening and see what crap they come up with. The system is running fine though apart from this. I might eventually buy a better cooling system because I think thats what the problem is - my cpu fan is only spinning at 3000rpm where most others seem to be 4000-5000rpm.
November 20, 2004 9:54:56 PM

I think I've found the problem - the GA-7N400-L is one of those many Gigabyte motherboards that love to give a much higher reading than others. This is an 'on-die' temp reading rather than a more external reading that most motherboards use. So the reading given by this is more accurate than most others, and most other cpu's would be around these temps when an 'on-die' reading is taken - its just that so many motherboards use 'external' measures that people think this to be extremely hot. The cpu can operate to 80 degrees, so I'm no longer worried. :) 
November 20, 2004 9:58:47 PM

My Prescott 3200 is running at 55degrees running at 35% utilization with internal readings from MBM
I suppose that is considered rather cool?

November 20, 2004 10:08:25 PM

Are you using liquid for cooling or is that just air? I havent had a chance to get familiar with water cooling yet, so excuse my ignorance!
November 20, 2004 10:12:40 PM

Using the GB 3D Cooler Pro on a GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 board

!