Cpu Upgrade Can I do it

frenchy124

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
I would like to up grade my cpu from and intel p4 2.66 mhz socket 478 on a dell Dimension 2400 my current processor is a northwood. My question is can I upgrade my cpu and power supply with p4 3.0mhz with ht socket 478 prescott or should I use the northwood cpu, I know about the heating issues with the prescott. Is it practical for me to spend the money,cpu upgrade or a memory upgrade which is about the same price range.

Game on Rock on!

RichPLS

Champion
You would need to check with Dell to see whether that board supports the power and multiplier requirements for Prescott CPU's.
Your memory is probally PC2700, and your CPU bus speed is proly 533 right.
I would guess that it also prolly is not Prescott supported.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

frenchy124

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
no I have a pc3200 memory and it is 533mhz, So would I be able to upgrade to a northwood processor, How can I check myself what the power and multiplyer is. I have been looking everyware for info on the motherboard information, but havn't been able to find anything.

Game on Rock on!

RichPLS

Champion
It should be listed at Dell, maybe under support or sysem specs.
You could also place a call to Dell tech support.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Better off to E-Bay Dell rig and start over. You will have problems wringing info from Dell without buying upgrade parts from them. JMHO.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Find out what chipset you have, should be listed in Device Manager under System Devices as part of a number string, with the numbers 845, 848, 865, or 875 as a portion of the number string.

848, 865, and 875 all support 800 bus CPUs. Your board should only support Northwood CPU's, which are available as the 3.06 (533 bus) or 3.0 (800 bus). 3.0 Northwoods are often refered to as 3.0C.

You wouldn't want a prescott anyway, they run hot and have added latency.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

frenchy124

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
since i posted the message I downloaded benchmark program form sandra soft and found out that my motherboard will support up to 3.6 mhz with HT. so I do appriciate all the information.

Game on Rock on!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by frenchy124 on 11/22/04 01:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
Cool, must be a relatively new dell.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So you'll want a 3.0C, aka 3.0GHz 800MHz bus Northwood. ie, the one with 512k cache on the .13 micron process.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

frenchy124

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
the report i recieved states as follows
<upgradeability>
socket/slot: microprocessor
upgrade interface: zif socket
supported speeds: 3.60 ghz+

it all says multiplier: 20/1x
minimum/maximum mulitiplier: 0/1x / 20/1x
-----------------------------------------
and on new egg I found a northwood processor at this link
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-164&depa=0
the processor is priced at $249.00 which I think is resonably priced.

Game on Rock on!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Dell Dimension 2400 has a 845GV chipset. Doesn't support the 800 FSB. As Crashman said the highest you can likely get is Northwood 3.06. However, upgrading from a Northwood 2.66 to a 3.06 hardly seems worth it.

There's no AGP port if you really do have an 845GV chipset!

That system just doesn't seem worth upgrading. Personally, I would start from scratch if I were you.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>