8200 CPU Upgrade

I have a Dimension 8200 with the 850E chipset, (system is currently a
2.0Ghz machine) that I'm upgrading to the 3.06Ghz 533Mhz FSB CPU. I
used the instructions at spongebobsupgradesite.com and downloaded the
A09 "Hyperthreading" BIOS that he has a copy of, flashed it, and now I
have some questions that hopefully someone, (maybe Bob himself?) can
help me with:

When I flashed the "new" BIOS the screen told me that nothing was
different about the new BIOS version and asked me if I wanted to
proceed anyway...I did.

Everything flashed ok, but now when I hit F2 and go into system setup
during bootup, I can't see where anything is different. I scroll down
to "CPU" and select and there is no mention of hyperthreading at all.
It's not one of the menu items. Do I have to have the new 3.06Ghz CPU
installed first to make the menu item show up? It's on it's way from
newegg.com so it's not installed yet...

How does the system bus speed which is currently at 400Mhz "jump up"
to the 533Mhz? Do I have to change a dip switch or anything? Does it
happen automatically when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU?

Thanks in advance everyone!
12 answers Last reply
More about 8200 upgrade

    "Ebay Star" <ebaystar@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dimension 8200 with the 850E chipset, (system is currently a
    > 2.0Ghz machine) that I'm upgrading to the 3.06Ghz 533Mhz FSB CPU. I
    > used the instructions at spongebobsupgradesite.com and downloaded the
    > A09 "Hyperthreading" BIOS that he has a copy of, flashed it, and now I
    > have some questions that hopefully someone, (maybe Bob himself?) can
    > help me with:
    >
    > When I flashed the "new" BIOS the screen told me that nothing was
    > different about the new BIOS version and asked me if I wanted to
    > proceed anyway...I did.
    >
    > Everything flashed ok, but now when I hit F2 and go into system setup
    > during bootup, I can't see where anything is different. I scroll down
    > to "CPU" and select and there is no mention of hyperthreading at all.
    > It's not one of the menu items. Do I have to have the new 3.06Ghz CPU
    > installed first to make the menu item show up? It's on it's way from
    > newegg.com so it's not installed yet...
    >
    > How does the system bus speed which is currently at 400Mhz "jump up"
    > to the 533Mhz? Do I have to change a dip switch or anything? Does it
    > happen automatically when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU?
    >
    > Thanks in advance everyone!

    The bus speed will automatically (in theory) bump up to 533mhz when the new
    CPU is added. You can easily find this under the same "CPU information"
    listing that you've accessed looking for the hyperthreading feature.

    I'm kind of surprised that hyperthreading isn't listed there after the flash
    (if that was supposed to be a feature of the newer BIOS version). On the
    newer boards, it's typically there in BIOS whether the system has an HT
    capable CPU or not - though it is disabled.

    You going to upgrade from PC800 to PC1066 RDRAM as well?

    Stew

    <SNIP>

    > > Everything flashed ok, but now when I hit F2 and go into system setup
    > > during bootup, I can't see where anything is different. I scroll down
    > > to "CPU" and select and there is no mention of hyperthreading at all.
    > > It's not one of the menu items. Do I have to have the new 3.06Ghz CPU
    > > installed first to make the menu item show up? It's on it's way from
    > > newegg.com so it's not installed yet...
    > >
    > > How does the system bus speed which is currently at 400Mhz "jump up"
    > > to the 533Mhz? Do I have to change a dip switch or anything? Does it
    > > happen automatically when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance everyone!
    >

    > The bus speed will automatically (in theory) bump up to 533mhz when the new
    > CPU is added. You can easily find this under the same "CPU information"
    > listing that you've accessed looking for the hyperthreading feature.
    >
    > I'm kind of surprised that hyperthreading isn't listed there after the flash
    > (if that was supposed to be a feature of the newer BIOS version). On the
    > newer boards, it's typically there in BIOS whether the system has an HT
    > capable CPU or not - though it is disabled.
    >
    > You going to upgrade from PC800 to PC1066 RDRAM as well?

    I guess I'll see when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU, but right now
    there is no mention at all in the BIOS menu regarding hyperthreading.
    Ummm...PC1066 RAM, I guess I'm not sure if I can use that in the
    Dimension 8200 can I?? And if I could, what would it do for me?
    Right now I have four sticks of PC800 256Mb Samsung, two are ECC and
    two are non-ECC so ECC is disabled. All are 40ns. The
    spongebobupgradesite.com doesn't mention anything about changing the
    RAM to PC1066 so I'm pretty sure it's not a path avail to me with the
    8200??

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:50:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm kind of surprised that hyperthreading isn't listed there after the flash
    >(if that was supposed to be a feature of the newer BIOS version). On the
    >newer boards, it's typically there in BIOS whether the system has an HT
    >capable CPU or not - though it is disabled.

    I've seen probably a dozen boards with HT capable BIOSs and non-HT
    processors. I don't recall ever seeing the HT option visible in BIOS
    setup under these conditions. I've upgraded processors on only two of
    these boards. In both cases the HT option appeared when the HT
    processor was detected. These were either GigaByte or ASUS boards, so
    I can't testify how Dell handles it. If I were the OP, I'd just go
    ahead and stick the HT processor in and then worry about it if the
    option doesn't pop up.

    "Jim Kent" <j.g.kent@markusplace.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:50:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm kind of surprised that hyperthreading isn't listed there after the
    >>flash
    >>(if that was supposed to be a feature of the newer BIOS version). On the
    >>newer boards, it's typically there in BIOS whether the system has an HT
    >>capable CPU or not - though it is disabled.
    >
    > I've seen probably a dozen boards with HT capable BIOSs and non-HT
    > processors. I don't recall ever seeing the HT option visible in BIOS
    > setup under these conditions. I've upgraded processors on only two of
    > these boards. In both cases the HT option appeared when the HT
    > processor was detected. These were either GigaByte or ASUS boards, so
    > I can't testify how Dell handles it. If I were the OP, I'd just go
    > ahead and stick the HT processor in and then worry about it if the
    > option doesn't pop up.

    I agree. Most of the systems to which I was referring were Dimension 2400's
    running 400mhz FSB Celerons, and the HT option was simply disabled, though
    the BIOS was capable and ready.

    Stew

    Dell calls for PC800, see Technical Specs link;
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/
    Buss speed can be checked in the BIOS, see
    systen setup link.

    Ebay Star wrote:
    | <SNIP>
    |
    | I guess I'll see when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU, but right now
    | there is no mention at all in the BIOS menu regarding hyperthreading.
    | Ummm...PC1066 RAM, I guess I'm not sure if I can use that in the
    | Dimension 8200 can I?? And if I could, what would it do for me?
    | Right now I have four sticks of PC800 256Mb Samsung, two are ECC and
    | two are non-ECC so ECC is disabled. All are 40ns. The
    | spongebobupgradesite.com doesn't mention anything about changing the
    | RAM to PC1066 so I'm pretty sure it's not a path avail to me with the
    | 8200??

    SpongeBob says no. See the RAM page on his site:
    Note: You CAN NOT use PC1066 RDRAM on a 8200. There is no bios to utilize
    it.

    Kevin

    First off, how have you determined that you have the 850E chipset and not
    the 850?

    The 8200's made before I, believe june of 2002 came with the 850 chipset.
    When Intel released the 2.53Ghz CPU with the new 533Mhz FSB, Dell went to
    the 850E chipset.

    The ONLY way I've ever found to POSITIVLEY determine if you have the 850 or
    the 850E, is to remove the heatsink on the MTH chip and look at the number
    on it.

    NONE of the many programs that report details of your system including
    Intel's own, cannot tell the difference between the 850 and the 850E.

    The Dell Dimension 8200 with 533Mhz FSB came out before the PC1066 RDRAM
    became a standard. There was much complaining from Dell users that Dell
    refused to come out with an official updated BIOS that would support the
    PC1066 RDRAM, but Dell uses OEM Intel MB's in those systems, and Intel never
    released a BIOS that would officially support the PC1066. Since Intel never
    released the BIOS, Dell never officially offered it.

    For a very brief period, one of the Dell BIOS's (I can't remember the
    number) was reported to support the PC1066, but that BIOS was revoked by
    Dell, and newer BIO'S's never supported the PC1066.

    Note: Even if you have a CPU that runs at a FSB of 533Mhz such as the 2.53,
    the memory runs at a FSB of 400Mhz. Yes, there are two different FSB's.

    If you install a CPU that runs at a FSB of 533Mhz and your system supports
    it, it will adjust automatically.

    If you are curious about HT and whether it's active, and you're running
    Windows 2000 or XP, Bring up the task manager by hitting Ctl-Alt-Del, and
    look at the 'Performace' tab.

    If HT is active, the top graph for the CPU should display two windows side
    by side, one window for each 'CPU'.

    How do I happen to know all this? One of my systems happens to be a
    Dimension 8200 with the (then brand new) 2.53Ghz CPU.

    Also, if I remember right, at the time that the 3gig cpu's were released,
    there were some verisons/speeds that ran at 533Mhz, and some that ran at
    400Mhz. I don't remember the specific cpu's but I'll bet someone will
    clarify them, but the point is, when you get your 3.06, make SURE you check
    Intel's web site to verify the one you have does indeed run at 533Mhz.
    Better safe than sorry.

    Good Luck.

    on the topic of memory, the earlier 8200's came with 45ns PC800 RDRAM. the
    later faster 8200's shipped with 40ns PC800 RDRAM. yes you can mix them, but
    if you do the memory will run at the slower speed.

    You should be able to run either ECC or Non-ECC memory. Again, if you mix
    ECC and non-ECC, the the memory will default to non-ECC, but that's no
    problem as you should be able to turn ECC off in the system BIOS.

    You must install memopry in matched pairs, and all four slots must either be
    occupied with ram or a continuity card.

    "Ebay Star" <ebaystar@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Dimension 8200 with the 850E chipset, (system is currently a
    > 2.0Ghz machine) that I'm upgrading to the 3.06Ghz 533Mhz FSB CPU. I
    > used the instructions at spongebobsupgradesite.com and downloaded the
    > A09 "Hyperthreading" BIOS that he has a copy of, flashed it, and now I
    > have some questions that hopefully someone, (maybe Bob himself?) can
    > help me with:
    >
    > When I flashed the "new" BIOS the screen told me that nothing was
    > different about the new BIOS version and asked me if I wanted to
    > proceed anyway...I did.
    >
    > Everything flashed ok, but now when I hit F2 and go into system setup
    > during bootup, I can't see where anything is different. I scroll down
    > to "CPU" and select and there is no mention of hyperthreading at all.
    > It's not one of the menu items. Do I have to have the new 3.06Ghz CPU
    > installed first to make the menu item show up? It's on it's way from
    > newegg.com so it's not installed yet...
    >
    > How does the system bus speed which is currently at 400Mhz "jump up"
    > to the 533Mhz? Do I have to change a dip switch or anything? Does it
    > happen automatically when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU?
    >
    > Thanks in advance everyone!

    A very informative thread.

    Kind of an odd bird to utilize the P4 533mhz CPU and not PC1066 RDRAM.
    That's one to remember...

    Stew

    "Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> have some questions that hopefully someone, (maybe Bob himself?) can
    >> help me with:
    >>
    >> When I flashed the "new" BIOS the screen told me that nothing was
    >> different about the new BIOS version and asked me if I wanted to
    >> proceed anyway...I did.
    >>
    >> Everything flashed ok, but now when I hit F2 and go into system setup
    >> during bootup, I can't see where anything is different. I scroll down
    >> to "CPU" and select and there is no mention of hyperthreading at all.
    >> It's not one of the menu items. Do I have to have the new 3.06Ghz CPU
    >> installed first to make the menu item show up? It's on it's way from
    >> newegg.com so it's not installed yet...
    >>
    >> How does the system bus speed which is currently at 400Mhz "jump up"
    >> to the 533Mhz? Do I have to change a dip switch or anything? Does it
    >> happen automatically when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU?

    Like most memory (DDR, SDRAM, EDO, 72-pin SIMM, even 30-pin SIMM) in recent
    years, faster PC1066 memory will run at PC800 speeds when installed in a system
    that needs memory no faster than PC800... Ben Myers

    On 30 Jun 2004 15:55:51 -0700, ebaystar@gmail.com (Ebay Star) wrote:

    ><SNIP>
    >
    >> > Everything flashed ok, but now when I hit F2 and go into system setup
    >> > during bootup, I can't see where anything is different. I scroll down
    >> > to "CPU" and select and there is no mention of hyperthreading at all.
    >> > It's not one of the menu items. Do I have to have the new 3.06Ghz CPU
    >> > installed first to make the menu item show up? It's on it's way from
    >> > newegg.com so it's not installed yet...
    >> >
    >> > How does the system bus speed which is currently at 400Mhz "jump up"
    >> > to the 533Mhz? Do I have to change a dip switch or anything? Does it
    >> > happen automatically when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance everyone!
    >>

    >> The bus speed will automatically (in theory) bump up to 533mhz when the new
    >> CPU is added. You can easily find this under the same "CPU information"
    >> listing that you've accessed looking for the hyperthreading feature.
    >>
    >> I'm kind of surprised that hyperthreading isn't listed there after the flash
    >> (if that was supposed to be a feature of the newer BIOS version). On the
    >> newer boards, it's typically there in BIOS whether the system has an HT
    >> capable CPU or not - though it is disabled.
    >>
    >> You going to upgrade from PC800 to PC1066 RDRAM as well?
    >
    >I guess I'll see when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU, but right now
    >there is no mention at all in the BIOS menu regarding hyperthreading.
    >Ummm...PC1066 RAM, I guess I'm not sure if I can use that in the
    >Dimension 8200 can I?? And if I could, what would it do for me?
    >Right now I have four sticks of PC800 256Mb Samsung, two are ECC and
    >two are non-ECC so ECC is disabled. All are 40ns. The
    >spongebobupgradesite.com doesn't mention anything about changing the
    >RAM to PC1066 so I'm pretty sure it's not a path avail to me with the
    >8200??

    It won't in a Dell 8200 - if you try PC1066 in it, the system will not boot.
    The 8250 uses a modified board and takes PC1066 - the 8200 cannot use it.

    > Like most memory (DDR, SDRAM, EDO, 72-pin SIMM, even 30-pin SIMM) in
    recent
    > years, faster PC1066 memory will run at PC800 speeds when installed in a
    system
    > that needs memory no faster than PC800... Ben Myers

    > First off, how have you determined that you have the 850E chipset and not
    > the 850?

    Well, I read up on all the info I could find which stated that there
    was "no reliable software method to determine blah, blah, blah" but I
    went ahead and used the tool available at powerleap.com as a beginning
    step to determine which chipset I had. It told me I had an 850E.
    Next...I looked over my sales invoice from Dell, both the hard copy
    they mailed me and the one available online at their website when you
    plug in your system number. The invoice stated "850E" right on it as
    well as clarifying the exact date I ordered the system which was
    November 2002, (another clue that I had the 850E chipset). Next...I
    physically opened up the case to make double, double sure. It is the
    850E.

    > For a very brief period, one of the Dell BIOS's (I can't remember the
    > number) was reported to support the PC1066, but that BIOS was revoked by
    > Dell, and newer BIO'S's never supported the PC1066.

    Man, I'd love to get a copy of this BIOS if anyone snagged it before
    they revoked it. I've read that the 8200 won't even boot up if you
    put PC1066 in it, even if you run the FSB at 533Mhz. There used to be
    a company that sold custom BIOS versions for the old Packard Bells
    that enabled you to add USB ports and all sorts of goodies. I wonder
    if they are still around. Sounds like there might be a market
    considering the thousands of 8200's out there...

    > Note: Even if you have a CPU that runs at a FSB of 533Mhz such as the 2.53,
    > the memory runs at a FSB of 400Mhz. Yes, there are two different FSB's.

    Seems odd, but since I've already got megabucks tied up in 1GB of
    PC800 Samsung RAMBUS anyway, I'm not sweating it. At least it will
    still run with the PC800 after bumping the FSB to 533Mhz! Otherwise
    this upgrade would have been too expensive. I've read that before the
    upgrade you can run 45ns or 40ns RAM, but after the upgrade to the
    533Mhz bus you HAVE to have 40ns. Luckily I do, but this is another
    consideration for anyone else considering this upgrade.

    > If you install a CPU that runs at a FSB of 533Mhz and your system supports
    > it, it will adjust automatically.

    Cool...this I didn't know. I was sure I was missing a dip-switch
    setting or something...

    > If you are curious about HT and whether it's active, and you're running
    > Windows 2000 or XP, Bring up the task manager by hitting Ctl-Alt-Del, and
    > look at the 'Performace' tab.
    > If HT is active, the top graph for the CPU should display two windows side
    > by side, one window for each 'CPU'.

    I imagine I'll also notice a difference in how many seti@home units
    I'm knocking off each day! ;^)

    > Also, if I remember right, at the time that the 3gig cpu's were released,
    > there were some verisons/speeds that ran at 533Mhz, and some that ran at
    > 400Mhz. I don't remember the specific cpu's but I'll bet someone will
    > clarify them, but the point is, when you get your 3.06, make SURE you check
    > Intel's web site to verify the one you have does indeed run at 533Mhz.
    > Better safe than sorry.

    Good point. I ORDERED a 533Mhz from newegg.com, who are usually
    pretty reliable, but I'll check the UPC/Model number at Intel to make
    sure once it arrives...

    > on the topic of memory, the earlier 8200's came with 45ns PC800 RDRAM. the
    > later faster 8200's shipped with 40ns PC800 RDRAM. yes you can mix them, but
    > if you do the memory will run at the slower speed.

    I'm pretty sure you can mix them on the 8200 ONLY up the point that
    you upgrade to a 533Mhz FSB CPU. As long as the bus is running at
    400Mhz your statement is true, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable
    than me can chime in....??

    > You should be able to run either ECC or Non-ECC memory. Again, if you mix
    > ECC and non-ECC, the the memory will default to non-ECC, but that's no
    > problem as you should be able to turn ECC off in the system BIOS.

    My system BIOS tells me that I have one pair of ECC and one pair of
    non-ECC. I don't remember it giving the option to turn ECC on or off.
    I think it's an automatic thing. Your right, you can mix them, but
    if you do the ECC is disabled...

    > You must install memopry in matched pairs, and all four slots must either be
    > occupied with ram or a continuity card.

    Tends to make upgrading RAMBUS a little expensive doesn't it?
    Fortunately I've been able to sell all the old 128Mb sticks of RAMBUS
    on eBay when I bumped up to 1GB...

    > Good Luck.

    Thanks for the help everyone!

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    > A very informative thread.
    >
    > Kind of an odd bird to utilize the P4 533mhz CPU and not PC1066 RDRAM.
    > That's one to remember...

    Yep. Things got pretty hot in the Dell forums at that time.

> [...]
    > >> have some questions that hopefully someone, (maybe Bob himself?) can
    > >> help me with:
    > >>
    > >> When I flashed the "new" BIOS the screen told me that nothing was
    > >> different about the new BIOS version and asked me if I wanted to
    > >> proceed anyway...I did.
    > >>
    > >> Everything flashed ok, but now when I hit F2 and go into system setup
    > >> during bootup, I can't see where anything is different. I scroll down
    > >> to "CPU" and select and there is no mention of hyperthreading at all.
    > >> It's not one of the menu items. Do I have to have the new 3.06Ghz CPU
    > >> installed first to make the menu item show up? It's on it's way from
    > >> newegg.com so it's not installed yet...
    > >>
    > >> How does the system bus speed which is currently at 400Mhz "jump up"
    > >> to the 533Mhz? Do I have to change a dip switch or anything? Does it
    > >> happen automatically when I install the new 3.06Ghz CPU?

Dell BIOS CPUs Computers