Sign in with
Your question

Im planning on using a old laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 5, 2010 2:53:21 AM

Im planning on using an old laptop of myn to make a handheld gamimg system. I want to know if there are any good laptops that are small and have custom parts in them? Like graphics cards that are pic-e and sound cards that are pci-e? I want it like that so I can make a strong gaming system out of it, to take on long car rides and stuff plus itll be fun to do. What im asking for is a list of ok laptops that i can take apart and put into a new case but I want to beable to change things if needed like putting the graphics back to back with the mainboard or something like that. So what laptops would be good for me @ around $600?

More about : planning laptop

August 5, 2010 3:27:59 AM

That has nothing to do with laptops!
a b D Laptop
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 3:52:36 PM

I don't think there are any systems like what you are looking for. There are some "build-your-own" system parts, but you can't cut and move components around a pre-built laptop. Just get a DS if you want mobile gaming, or a small 13" gaming laptop.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 204 U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 4:24:01 PM

There are very few laptops around that came be customized and virtually no chance of taking the components of one vendor and sticking in another. There are some high-end systems that had upgradeable GPUs (like Alienware) but they are very uncommon. GPUs and sound are generally embedded into the laptops proprietary motherboard and can't be upgraded.

If you are trying to make your old laptop a "gaming" platform, you are pretty much stuck with what you have. You can max out the memory and add a bigger/faster HDD (in most cases) but that is about all the upgrading you can do.

BTW, there are no PCI-E cards in laptops, like those used in desktop PCs.

Good luck and have fun!!!
August 6, 2010 2:32:42 AM

Yeah I was thinking that would be the case but hoping that at least I could find some laptop that had replaceable parts, so I could move parts to fit the way I want with extenders and such.
August 6, 2010 2:37:15 AM

I know most laptop cant have different graphics and such then they are designed for most here to hoping for something to do. I was also looking at the alienware m11x and think itd work well but I need to see the insides of it so I know what im working with, that way I can figure if itll work with the case I have planned. All im really doing is changing the keyboard to a gamepad and thinking maybe if I could make the screen smaller so the whole system would be fat and have a 7" screen it would work the best for what I want.
a b D Laptop
a c 204 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 12:12:35 PM

I really don't think you are going to find a notebook/laptop that will do what you want. Rather, you might look at building a mini-ITX based system and fab a custom case to better meet your desires. Good luck!
August 6, 2010 2:51:08 PM

LOL I was thinking that may work or completely start from scratch and ask intel or some one to make me a mainboard with a GPU, CPU built in. The m11x from alienware is a close fit but the I/O panel isnt going to fit the way they have it set. This is a link for the alienware m11x being taken apart. Notice the I/O panel (7:41) and the way its set do you think ill can set it another way with wires? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqQQU_PWRg

a b D Laptop
a c 204 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 3:00:08 PM

I wouldn't try it. The guts of most notebooks is so custom designed that they really can't accomodate any sort of change beyond their original design. If you have TONS of money, you might get Intel (or any other mobo builder) to custom design a mobo for you. You also need to look at your OS, how you will interact with the system when not using a gamepad, etc. Sounds almost like you want some sort of tablet computer, with a touch screen, and a decent GPU.....If you have the money, could be fun.
a b D Laptop
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 3:44:51 PM

TonyACG51 said:
I know most laptop cant have different graphics and such then they are designed for most here to hoping for something to do. I was also looking at the alienware m11x and think itd work well but I need to see the insides of it so I know what im working with, that way I can figure if itll work with the case I have planned. All im really doing is changing the keyboard to a gamepad and thinking maybe if I could make the screen smaller so the whole system would be fat and have a 7" screen it would work the best for what I want.

You are trying to make a $10,000 Sony PSP?
!