How to Automatically select the proper paper tray?

We have an HP 4600 color laser at our office. We need to print mostly on
letter sized paper (8.5X11 in.)but we do have the need to print sometimes on
legal sized paper (8.5X14 in.). We just purchased an additional paper feeder
with the thought in mind that we'd put letter paper in one tray and legal
paper in the other and the printer would just sort it out automatically.
This doesn't happen. The printer ALWAYS wants to print from tray 2 (the new
tray is seen and identified as tray 3). I'm fairly certain that there must
be something simple that I can specify via the printers' control panel or
the driver that'll cause it to opperate as expected, but I can't find it.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <I16Sd.2879685$f47.518719@news.easynews.com>,
Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com says...
> We have an HP 4600 color laser at our office. We need to print mostly on
> letter sized paper (8.5X11 in.)but we do have the need to print sometimes on
> legal sized paper (8.5X14 in.). We just purchased an additional paper feeder
> with the thought in mind that we'd put letter paper in one tray and legal
> paper in the other and the printer would just sort it out automatically.
> This doesn't happen. The printer ALWAYS wants to print from tray 2 (the new
> tray is seen and identified as tray 3). I'm fairly certain that there must
> be something simple that I can specify via the printers' control panel or
> the driver that'll cause it to opperate as expected, but I can't find it.

Go to the printers 'Printing Preferences' (Right-click it from
Start/Settings/Printers). In NT, it's 'Document Defaults'. For Win9x/ME,
it will be under Properties.

Depending on your driver, there may be an entry where you can specify
which paper size is in which tray. There should also be a tray setting
which offers something like 'automatically select'. You may need to look
for 'Advanced' buttons or tabs to find this.

Have you tried searching HP's knowledgebase at www.hp.com?

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Andy101

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
We've had this exact problem and found a really neat utility or plugin for Word which solves it. It works perfectly when printing from Microsoft Word. You can download a free trial from www.trayselector.com.

In our law firm we have saved a load of money on toner and paper but using this because it means we always print to the right paper and tray. It's good for the environment and it saves money.