Please critique this tentative system!

bovinda

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Hello, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I wasn't sure which forum would be most appropriate.

I am a first-time computer builder (who really doesn't know anything about building computers). From lurking and what not on this forum and others I have put this list together for a PC that would do light gaming and serve as an HTPC (no overclocking--I'm saving that for the next computer I build, once I've gotten a little more familiar with the routine).

I humbly ask the many knowledgable THG folks out there to glance over this list, and tell me if there is a better choice I could make for my goals, experience, and price range:

Antec Sonata case (w/ included Antec 380 watt PSU)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (90 nm, socket 939) OEM or retail
MSI "K8N Neo Platinum" nForce 3 Ultra for socket 939
1 gig Corsair Value-Select RAM
XFX NVidia 6600 GT video card (AGP)
Samsung 160 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
NEC 16X 3500A BK DVD +/- burner
Windows Media Center Edition 2005 bundle w/ remote and PVR capture card

My spending range will be about 1000-1200$. I haven't priced every item exactly yet...

I sincerely appreciate any responses and suggestions at all.

Additionally...
1. Is the Antec 380 watt PSU satisfactory for this build?

2. Is the HSF on the retail 3200+ processor satisfactory for cooling and quiet (considering no overclocking)? Or would it be better to get the OEM processor and pick up a separate heat sink and fan?

3. Should I add another fan to the case?

Thanks everyone. I apologize if there are answers here I could have found by searching posts, but my life isn't affording me that kind of time these days. If you can point me to a link, however, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Jeff

earthling

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Hello and welcome to THG.
1.well yes the Antec 380watt PSU is satisfactory for your build, although i recommend if you get the 430watt. you can also check <A HREF="http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply" target="_new">http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply</A>
to make sure how many watts you'll really need.
2. yes the retail 3200+ fan will give you a good cooling and no need for a separate heat sink and fan since you have no intentions for OC'ing
3. Yes I'd recommend an extra fan for the chassis and make sure the air flow is all good

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That looks great to me. If you wait a couple of weeks you can price the Nforce 4 versions. The Nforce 3 versions may drop in price at that time too. I've had good luck with Samsung products.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

bovinda

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Thanks for the feedback earthling and Cybercraig. That website was indeed helpful for giving me an idea of the wattage I might need. And I may indeed wait a couple weeks for that price drop on the mobo...it just seems like it's so easy for it to turn into a waiting game for the next price drop.

This may be a silly question, but how difficult is it to remove the PS that comes with a case and install a separately purchased PS? Is it just a matter of unscrewing and plugging appropriate cables in?

Anyway, thank you again guys. Appreciate the help.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Power supplies are held in by 4 screws. All the cables come attached to the power supply. You should be able to change one in 5 minutes with a screw-driver. The exception would be some Dell cases and BTX cases where the fan-function and PS configuration are intergrated into the case cooling.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

earthling

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
as Cybercraig mentioned before it's all a matter of unscrewing, don't worry you won't find it hard =) and enjoy building your new pc

earthling

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
do you think GA-K8NSNXP-939 is that good, scottchen? i always have had troubles with gigabyte's bios, i always just get the feeling it's an unfinished product or not made for advanced usage, anyway i`d like to know more about the DPS-Gold (Dual Power System Gold) that works on the 6 phase. I study electrical engineering that's why I`m wondering what this could be !!

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
You need to press ctrl-F1 to get the advanced options for the gigabyte boards. I am not too sure about the board's power system:( Didn't bother researching that, just researched the overclockability:D

I've just got one myself, and it's an insane overclocker.

TRENDING THREADS