Newbie Help on TZ Flipper Problem

Thanks to Ebay, I just bought my first pinball machine (a Twilight
Zone) and hooked it up this weekend an am having a problem with the
upper left flipper stopping during a game. Unfortunately, being new
to the hobby I have no idea what I'm doing or what the problem might
be so I'm hoping someone here can help. When it locks up I try the
diagnostics and the weird thing is that 9 out of 10 times it works the
flipper just fine in test mode. In fact, it even "resets" the stuck
flipper so it works again in a game for a while. However, one time it
gave me a "check switch F8" error but I have no idea where that is or
what to check. I also noticed that the upper flipper sometimes
"pumps" itself several times when the button is held in before dying.
I checked it physically and nothing appears to be broken or stuck
mechanically. Any ideas what might be wrong or how to fix it? Also,
I noticed 3 of the 4 flippers do nothing when the diagnostics tries
the "hold" test...but the problem flipper actually moves and stays up
but the others don't. Is this a sign that the other flippers need a
rebuild kit or something, or is this related to the problem. Thanks a
million and keeping my fingers crossed this is something basic to
fix...

-- Ed

the "flipper control board" or fliptronics board is in the upper left corner
of the backbox. look at those fuses and make sure they are good. reseat
all teh connectors up there, too.

next an easy thing to try is swap the opto boards from one side to the
other. these are the long narrow board where your flipper buttons are.

if the problem moves it's one of those. if not, probably a problem on the
fliptronics board itself.

check to make sure the diodes are on the flipper coil, too - just compare it
to the other ones.

Dan

"Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to Ebay, I just bought my first pinball machine (a Twilight
> Zone) and hooked it up this weekend an am having a problem with the
> upper left flipper stopping during a game. Unfortunately, being new
> to the hobby I have no idea what I'm doing or what the problem might
> be so I'm hoping someone here can help. When it locks up I try the
> diagnostics and the weird thing is that 9 out of 10 times it works the
> flipper just fine in test mode. In fact, it even "resets" the stuck
> flipper so it works again in a game for a while. However, one time it
> gave me a "check switch F8" error but I have no idea where that is or
> what to check. I also noticed that the upper flipper sometimes
> "pumps" itself several times when the button is held in before dying.
> I checked it physically and nothing appears to be broken or stuck
> mechanically. Any ideas what might be wrong or how to fix it? Also,
> I noticed 3 of the 4 flippers do nothing when the diagnostics tries
> the "hold" test...but the problem flipper actually moves and stays up
> but the others don't. Is this a sign that the other flippers need a
> rebuild kit or something, or is this related to the problem. Thanks a
> million and keeping my fingers crossed this is something basic to
> fix...
>
> -- Ed

Sandro

Huh?

If the lower flippers work then how would it be the opto boards?
If the flippers work under the test menu how would it be the fuses?

It sounded to me like the upper left flipper coil might have been
installed wrong (hold and main coils cross-wired), but I don't claim to
be all that good at repairs, so I'll let more experienced people chime
in...

-Sandro

Switch F8 is on the flipper button opto board. Things to check would be sure
the flipper button optos are clean, and the interupter opens them good when
you press the flipper button. You could also swap the left and right flipper
button opto boards to see if the problem moves, this would let you know if
you have a flaky opto.

Carefully check the solder joints on the coil, especially the tiny wires
coming off the coil. A break or cold solder joint could be causing your
problem.

Next up I'd check the fuse holders on your fliptronics board, fuses are most
likely good, but be sure the fuse holders are tight. LTG :)

"Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to Ebay, I just bought my first pinball machine (a Twilight
> Zone) and hooked it up this weekend an am having a problem with the
> upper left flipper stopping during a game. Unfortunately, being new
> to the hobby I have no idea what I'm doing or what the problem might
> be so I'm hoping someone here can help. When it locks up I try the
> diagnostics and the weird thing is that 9 out of 10 times it works the
> flipper just fine in test mode. In fact, it even "resets" the stuck
> flipper so it works again in a game for a while. However, one time it
> gave me a "check switch F8" error but I have no idea where that is or
> what to check. I also noticed that the upper flipper sometimes
> "pumps" itself several times when the button is held in before dying.
> I checked it physically and nothing appears to be broken or stuck
> mechanically. Any ideas what might be wrong or how to fix it? Also,
> I noticed 3 of the 4 flippers do nothing when the diagnostics tries
> the "hold" test...but the problem flipper actually moves and stays up
> but the others don't. Is this a sign that the other flippers need a
> rebuild kit or something, or is this related to the problem. Thanks a
> million and keeping my fingers crossed this is something basic to
> fix...
>
> -- Ed

each board has 2 optos [one for upper one for lower].

see lloyds comments. he basically suggested the same as I.........
If you're not that "good at repairs" why are you chiding me for my
suggestions?
Dan

"sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Huh?
>
> If the lower flippers work then how would it be the opto boards?
> If the flippers work under the test menu how would it be the fuses?
>
> It sounded to me like the upper left flipper coil might have been
> installed wrong (hold and main coils cross-wired), but I don't claim to
> be all that good at repairs, so I'll let more experienced people chime
> in...
>
> -Sandro

Sandro

Look again, I didn't chide you, I asked a couple of questions.

You could, you know, answer them.

-Sandro

Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out and let you know.
Interestingly, I did notice that the opto boards are completely
different on the left and right side of the machine, one must have
been replaced at some point. Could it make a difference if they don't
match, or do they all work alike? And does the fact that the hold
function didn't work on most of the flippers means anything?

I did notice that the
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:04:12 -0500, "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com>
wrote:

>Switch F8 is on the flipper button opto board. Things to check would be sure
>the flipper button optos are clean, and the interupter opens them good when
>you press the flipper button. You could also swap the left and right flipper
>button opto boards to see if the problem moves, this would let you know if
>you have a flaky opto.
>
>Carefully check the solder joints on the coil, especially the tiny wires
>coming off the coil. A break or cold solder joint could be causing your
>problem.
>
>Next up I'd check the fuse holders on your fliptronics board, fuses are most
>likely good, but be sure the fuse holders are tight. LTG :)
>
>"Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks to Ebay, I just bought my first pinball machine (a Twilight
>> Zone) and hooked it up this weekend an am having a problem with the
>> upper left flipper stopping during a game. Unfortunately, being new
>> to the hobby I have no idea what I'm doing or what the problem might
>> be so I'm hoping someone here can help. When it locks up I try the
>> diagnostics and the weird thing is that 9 out of 10 times it works the
>> flipper just fine in test mode. In fact, it even "resets" the stuck
>> flipper so it works again in a game for a while. However, one time it
>> gave me a "check switch F8" error but I have no idea where that is or
>> what to check. I also noticed that the upper flipper sometimes
>> "pumps" itself several times when the button is held in before dying.
>> I checked it physically and nothing appears to be broken or stuck
>> mechanically. Any ideas what might be wrong or how to fix it? Also,
>> I noticed 3 of the 4 flippers do nothing when the diagnostics tries
>> the "hold" test...but the problem flipper actually moves and stays up
>> but the others don't. Is this a sign that the other flippers need a
>> rebuild kit or something, or is this related to the problem. Thanks a
>> million and keeping my fingers crossed this is something basic to
>> fix...
>>
>> -- Ed

Shouldn't make a difference if boards aren't identical.

If you mean the hold function doesn't work in test mode, don't worry about
it. If you mean the hold function doesn't work during game play, then
somethings not right. LTG :)

> Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out and let you know.
> Interestingly, I did notice that the opto boards are completely
> different on the left and right side of the machine, one must have
> been replaced at some point. Could it make a difference if they don't
> match, or do they all work alike? And does the fact that the hold
> function didn't work on most of the flippers means anything?

Yes, on some games the boards do make
a difference. The flipper optos are "backwards".
The upper flippers, (if present), will operate first,
with the lowers next.

You should try to keep them both of the same type.

Hold funtion may mean you have an open circuit in
the affected coil(s), wiring, or a failed component on
the Fliptronics board.

--
Fred
TX

"Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote

> Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out and let you know.
> Interestingly, I did notice that the opto boards are completely
> different on the left and right side of the machine, one must have
> been replaced at some point. Could it make a difference if they don't
> match, or do they all work alike? And does the fact that the hold
> function didn't work on most of the flippers means anything?

Thanks for the info, both of you :) It's definitely not a fuse but
it may be the optos. I'll try the board swap and see (more info on
optos in other response). I thought maybe a loose wire or something
the way it was behaving so that makes sense. Will let you know,

-- Ed
On 5 Sep 2005 17:57:02 -0700, "sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Look again, I didn't chide you, I asked a couple of questions.
>
>You could, you know, answer them.
>
>-Sandro

You guys are so awesome, thanks! Just to clarify, the 3 working
flippers hold just fine during play but they do nothing during the
test mode. I guess from the other post, that's normal or nothing that
needs fixing. What's the hold test supposed to indicate then? And
if it were happening during gameplay, then it might be an open
circuit/failed component/etc that you mention, right? The weird part
is the screwed up flipper raises and holds during the test mode just
fine so I thought the others must need new parts or something...

I'll check and make sure the optos aren't backwards when I clean them
tonight. What's the best stuff to clean them with, water/alcohol/dry
swab, etc?

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 00:09:48 -0500, "Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net>
wrote:

> Yes, on some games the boards do make
>a difference. The flipper optos are "backwards".
>The upper flippers, (if present), will operate first,
>with the lowers next.
>
>You should try to keep them both of the same type.
>
> Hold funtion may mean you have an open circuit in
>the affected coil(s), wiring, or a failed component on
>the Fliptronics board.

Q-tip, swab. Water or Windex. Dry. LTG :)

> I'll check and make sure the optos aren't backwards when I clean them
> tonight. What's the best stuff to clean them with, water/alcohol/dry
> swab, etc?

Thanks for the help guys! I cleaned the optos tonight and they were
very "dusty" and the q-tip came out black when done. Afterwords, I
re-ran the diags and now all 4 flippers pass and even complete the
"hold" test that they weren't responding to before. While I haven't
logged enough time to be certain the intermittent flipper problem is
cured, it seems to be working fine now. Appreciate it as this is
quite the learning curve...

-- Ed