mltdown

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004
I most recenly purchased a Athlon XP Mobile desktop edition. I installed to my mobo ( MSI "K7N2 Delta2-LSR" NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU ) and booted it up. First thing I notice is that the motherboard was not identifying the processor correcly and setting it to a lower setting. Furthermore, i was trying to get it back up to where it is supposed to be operating at but the temperatures were quite rediculus. I've tried everything from checking signs of prolbems with the mother board, psu, etc. (voltages not fluxuating etc etc)

links of products i bought
-motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-475&depa=0

-process
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-400&depa=0

Thanks

update.... i left the machine a few minutes ago, turned off. when i came back and tried to start tinkering with it again, it wont boot up at all. i dont have a speaker for it so i cant tell if its posting. i have a monitor hooked up to it, and when i turn on the box it just stays in sleep mode (the monitor). ive tried all the connections, resting the CMOS, resteating the memory and the proc/heatsink... i thikn something's blown. when i took off the heatsink. there was a small amount of silver paste smeared on the little circuits on the top of the board (on the processor). i cleaned that off, but im not sure if thats still causing problems. is it possible my processor is shot?

thanks...

update... next day... yea i was an idiot and put the cpu heatsink and fan on the wrong way. thanks all who answered it helped when i had no idea what happend.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mltdown on 11/27/04 06:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, if your temperatures were rediculously hot, your cooler may not have been contacting the core properly, and that can burn out a CPU in short order!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As Crashman said, you may have had your processor heat sink mounted incorrectly. Your post said you had remounted it, but now the PC doesn't work. So here's a possibility. If you had the heat sink hung up on one edge and only contacting the CPU on one side, that mounting may have chipped your CPU. It's difficult to see, but if you remove the CPU and clean off all the heat paste then look closely around the edges of the silicon and see if you see any fractures. It will look like a shiny irregularity.

I have a keychain myself I made that way!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

RichPLS

Champion
at least you got your screen name right for this incident

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>