Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual boot, windows 7 hotter than OS X Lion

Last response: in Windows 7
December 13, 2012 1:50:08 PM

hi there, I hope this is the right session for this...
I am having a very curious issue here...

My components are:

Motherboard: Z68X UD3H B3 rev 1.3

CPU: i5 2500K (sandy bridge)

1 Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s (Lion 10.7.4 Hackingtosh)

8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel

Lion is installed on the ssd drive and Windows is installed on a regular sata drive (WD green drive or something).

On the Lion side I get excellent temps reading even when I hit the cpu real hard for very long time.. (about 50 and 55 Celcius is the maximum I have gotten).. I am very happy with how the temps are behaving on my Lion side of things..
Here I am reading my temps with Istat.

But when I go to Windows 7 (Using Protools software) and I push the cpu to about 40 or 45% use (reading in task manager), I get a reading of about 70 - 75% and even 80 celcius (with HW monitor)..
The alarm in the motherboard is set to turn on when temps get to 70C and that's exactly what it does.. (That way I know HW monitor is reading the right temps)

Why is this happening, how come my cpu gets hotter on the Windows side of the fence??

Maybe there a setting in the Bios ??

I am using stock fan and connected via hdmi cable to my monitor

Thanks a lot people on this forum I hope I can get some help
December 13, 2012 2:04:47 PM

My Guess is your temp readings are wrong in OSX as it cannot interface with a random motherboard as well as the apple designed ones. Or on the flip side Windows 7 is using your cpu more efficently and is making it work harder hence the higher temps. In the end it does not matter if it is doing everything you want. 80c is not a killer temp for a i5 not good but it will not die on you. I might suggest better cooling or a water loop if you do long renders or conversions to keep the temps a little more managed.

Thent
December 13, 2012 2:05:12 PM

The OS shouldn't have a major impact on temperatures. The CPU is going to heat up based on the load that's applied, and fans aren't usually controlled by the OS.

Apply a greater load and it gets hotter. So either your OS X installation isn't able to really load the CPU for some reason, it's reporting the wrong temps or you have something installed on Windows that's preventing the fans from spinning up all the way and effectively cooling.
Related resources
December 13, 2012 2:16:10 PM

If nothing else you need a better cooler, you should be able to run windows at 100% on all cores at around 70c or less.
December 13, 2012 2:18:18 PM

80c is a pretty common load temp with the stock cooler.
December 13, 2012 2:56:33 PM

thently said:
My Guess is your temp readings are wrong in OSX as it cannot interface with a random motherboard as well as the apple designed ones. Or on the flip side Windows 7 is using your cpu more efficently and is making it work harder hence the higher temps. In the end it does not matter if it is doing everything you want. 80c is not a killer temp for a i5 not good but it will not die on you. I might suggest better cooling or a water loop if you do long renders or conversions to keep the temps a little more managed.

Thent

temps reading in OSX cannot be wrong because I dont get the mobo alarm that turns on in Windows when HW monitor reads 70C (I enabled that in BIOS)..

I apply the same load with the same program to both operating systems.
The program (Protools) performance is exactly the same (or better in OS X LION) in both operating systems..

So i believe that eliminates the possibility that the cpu is being more efficient in windows...

what do think??

Thanks alot
December 13, 2012 2:59:20 PM

amoretam said:
temps reading in OSX cannot be wrong because I dont get the mobo alarm that turns on in Windows when HW monitor reads 70C (I enabled that in BIOS)..

I apply the same load with the same program to both operating systems.
The program (Protools) performance is exactly the same (or better in OS X LION) in both operating systems..

So i believe that eliminates the possibility that the cpu is being more efficient in windows...

what do think??

Thanks alot

We've already said what we think, and your statements don't change that fact. OS does not have a major impact on temperatures. Either the temperature readings are wrong, OS X isn't loading your CPU to the same extent or you've got something ******* up your fan control on Windows.

There is no fourth option that I see. OS X doesn't run cooler or more efficiently than Windows.
December 13, 2012 2:59:56 PM

willard said:
The OS shouldn't have a major impact on temperatures. The CPU is going to heat up based on the load that's applied, and fans aren't usually controlled by the OS.

Apply a greater load and it gets hotter. So either your OS X installation isn't able to really load the CPU for some reason, it's reporting the wrong temps or you have something installed on Windows that's preventing the fans from spinning up all the way and effectively cooling.

ummm some thing preventing the fan from spinning??? ,
that could be a great possibility, because I dont hear the fan spinning up faster when temps get hotter!!

What could be preventing it??

Thanks
December 13, 2012 3:01:25 PM

cool n quiet drivers... are not functioning under OSX At least not as far as gigabytes specific board is concerned .. seeing as how its a hackintosh and the os is set up specifically for mac hardware profiles then its not really all that big of a surprise.

Best solution

December 13, 2012 3:03:09 PM

Well I think it is being used more with 7 so higher temps. I would just invest in a better cooler like a hyper 212 or an H80 and call it a day. Sounds like it is all working so just enjoy it.

Thent
December 13, 2012 3:07:32 PM

just get a fan controller.. or something with a PWM switch.
December 13, 2012 3:07:47 PM

willard said:
We've already said what we think, and your statements don't change that fact. OS does not have a major impact on temperatures. Either the temperature readings are wrong, OS X isn't loading your CPU to the same extent or you've got something ******* up your fan control on Windows.

There is no fourth option that I see. OS X doesn't run cooler or more efficiently than Windows.

yes but I am eliminating the 1st option because of the alarm in the mobo...

December 13, 2012 3:12:48 PM

thently said:
Well I think it is being used more with 7 so higher temps. I would just invest in a better cooler like a hyper 212 or an H80 and call it a day. Sounds like it is all working so just enjoy it.

Thent

sounds fine.... but I really need to know, my case is so warm, the case is in a ventilated area and temperature here is a little cold...

i really need to know what is going on with windows....

December 13, 2012 3:20:36 PM

thently said:

Thent

i god i just read i have to remove the mobo apart to install this fan...... no way!!!

thanks
December 14, 2012 2:38:29 AM

Any decent fan will have a backplate, and all backplates are going to require access to the back of the mobo. Good cases will have a cutout behind the socket, though you'll need to remove the side panel to get it. Not the one you usually remove to get at the insides, the one on the opposite side.

80c isn't a great place to be, but it's not that dangerous either. You'd probably see a little more life out of your chip if you got the Hyper 212 or some other cooler (the 212 is pretty much unbeatable in the sub-$50 price range). If you're not going to be loading it up to 100% in your daily use, though, I'd just ignore it.
December 14, 2012 3:56:52 AM

willard said:
Any decent fan will have a backplate, and all backplates are going to require access to the back of the mobo. Good cases will have a cutout behind the socket, though you'll need to remove the side panel to get it. Not the one you usually remove to get at the insides, the one on the opposite side.

80c isn't a great place to be, but it's not that dangerous either. You'd probably see a little more life out of your chip if you got the Hyper 212 or some other cooler (the 212 is pretty much unbeatable in the sub-$50 price range). If you're not going to be loading it up to 100% in your daily use, though, I'd just ignore it.

hey thanks .. i think I will have to buy it..... or maybe i will just forget about windows.... My Lion side of things are so awesome when talking about temps and performance...
From all of your answers in this thread I have have learned that there must be something preventing my cpu fan from spinning full speed because I cant hear the fan spinning faster when temps are hotter..

I really wonder what would that be....

if we could get deeper into that it would be awesome.....

thanks a lot
December 15, 2012 2:55:26 AM

You can actually monitor fan speed and find out. There are tons of programs that can do it. Two off the top of my head are HWMonitor and SpeedFan.
December 24, 2012 11:11:03 PM

Best answer selected by amoretam.
!