xbox wireless-g adapter (mn-740) loses network signal at r..

I just bought the MN-740, and was hoping to use it as a
wireless bridge between the machines around my
entertainment center and my router. I've got an xbox, a
server and a PC connected to the same switch as the MN-740.
Network looks like this:

[Devices] <--> [10/100 switch] <--> [MN-740] <--> [router]

My router is an SMC 7004VWBR, part of the Barricade line.
The MN-740 has no problem detecting the network SSID and
connecting. The router and wireless bridge are about 40-50
feet apart from each other, with a clear line of sight.
Signal strength is usually listed as "good", "very good" or
"excellent" on the xbox wireless status screen. However,
the connection drops out at fairly (but not perfectly)
regular intervals -- about every 2.5 minutes, and for a
regular amount of time (I've measured using a QoS tool, not
just the status screen). It reconnects eventually, but
after a sufficiently long interval that the current
situation isn't going to usable.

All router settings are pretty typical -- automatic
channel, 11Mbps, no WEP, etc. Network is 802.11b. MAC
filtering's on, but I've added the MAC of the MN-740 as it
appears on the sticker on its bottom, so that shouldn't be
a problem (or should it -- is that the MAC of the ethernet
port, perhaps?).

I've upgraded the MN-740 firmware. No help there.

TIA for any insight or suggestions.

joker

Have you tried as a test disabling MAC filtering & WEP?

It is possible that one or more of the devices behind the MN-740 are
attacking the router. I know of several viruses that do that.

So my suggestion at this point are to do the following on all computers
in your network.

Go to http://housecall.antivirus.com & do an online virus scan for free.
(I've seen several viruses cause the symptoms that you are seeing.)

Download, Install, Update, & then scan for spyware with both ad-aware &
"Spybot Search & Destroy".

Tom Lee wrote:

> I just bought the MN-740, and was hoping to use it as a
> wireless bridge between the machines around my
> entertainment center and my router. I've got an xbox, a
> server and a PC connected to the same switch as the MN-740.
> Network looks like this:
>
> [Devices] <--> [10/100 switch] <--> [MN-740] <--> [router]
>
> My router is an SMC 7004VWBR, part of the Barricade line.
> The MN-740 has no problem detecting the network SSID and
> connecting. The router and wireless bridge are about 40-50
> feet apart from each other, with a clear line of sight.
> Signal strength is usually listed as "good", "very good" or
> "excellent" on the xbox wireless status screen. However,
> the connection drops out at fairly (but not perfectly)
> regular intervals -- about every 2.5 minutes, and for a
> regular amount of time (I've measured using a QoS tool, not
> just the status screen). It reconnects eventually, but
> after a sufficiently long interval that the current
> situation isn't going to usable.
>
> All router settings are pretty typical -- automatic
> channel, 11Mbps, no WEP, etc. Network is 802.11b. MAC
> filtering's on, but I've added the MAC of the MN-740 as it
> appears on the sticker on its bottom, so that shouldn't be
> a problem (or should it -- is that the MAC of the ethernet
> port, perhaps?).
>
> I've upgraded the MN-740 firmware. No help there.
>
> TIA for any insight or suggestions.

I was running a virus scan, had run ad-aware and spybot,
and tried turning off MAC filtering (WEP was already off).
No luck. Identical behavior with a replacement unit.

I bought a Linksys product, and it's working fine. I'm
sure Microsoft's products are excellent (and are cheaper),
but the MN-740 doesn't seem to work with the SMC 7004VWBR.