Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 key

Last response: in Windows 7
December 13, 2012 7:32:01 PM

well when I rebuilt my computer and added new mobo my windows 7 home 64 bit will no longer register. I understand I can't install on a new system. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way I can buy just a new key and not have to drop the 91$ for a whole new cd and all that. I can't find any windows 7 keys at Microsoft website. I don't really want to do the whole upgrade to windows 8 route. will that even work since my windows is not registered? also I like having a disc around to reformat every so often. (which i still have a windows 7 home premium disc) just need a key. any info is appreciated

More about : windows key

a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2012 7:38:12 PM

You have to buy a new license (I'm assuming the old license was OEM). There's really no legal way around this. If you old version was a retail version, then you should be able to move the license to a new motherboard.
December 13, 2012 7:44:36 PM

If you bought it online, then contact customer support that's how I got mine back. Took about a week to get it back.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2012 7:46:09 PM

You don't really think they charge you the big price for the CD, do you? If you're really interested in W8, there's a deal on it for $39 and XP is a legitimate upgrade path.
December 13, 2012 7:59:29 PM

ram1009 said:
You don't really think they charge you the big price for the CD, do you? If you're really interested in W8, there's a deal on it for $39 and XP is a legitimate upgrade path.

will that work though being as I do not have windows activated. also the cd that comes with the 69.99 version of upgrade from 7 to 8, can it be used to do a reformat in the future or is it for upgrading purposes only?
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2012 8:06:57 PM

You can't upgrade if you have an unlicensed version of windows. You cannot change the board, that qualifies as a new system UNLESS the old board failed and was no longer available for purchase. Otherwise its retail price for a license. They don't charge you for a CD.... Those are freely available for download from official sources.
December 13, 2012 8:26:42 PM

okay Ty for the info guys. suppose I'll just drop the money I was going to spend on ssd and get a windows key. thank you
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2012 8:26:47 PM

Your going to need to buy a full version.
With that being said...
A few times you've mentioned being able to "reformat" like it's a normal cleanup/update process.
I just wanted to mention that reformatting should and always is the LAST option. 99% of software/virus/malware issues can be fixed. Try your best not to reformat. It's like using a sledge hammer to open a peanut ;) . Maintain and clean your system :D .
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2012 8:27:32 PM

activate via phone they will reactivate it for you just follow the prompts
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2012 8:33:16 PM

apache_lives said:
activate via phone they will reactivate it for you just follow the prompts

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
December 13, 2012 8:33:34 PM

bobusboy said:
If you bought it online, then contact customer support that's how I got mine back. Took about a week to get it back.

Check out this post on the win7 forums (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-win...). I believe when you call the number an IVR system will ask how many computers are using the current key. Just input 0 and you should be good.
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2012 10:43:09 PM

sevacallDOTcom said:
Check out this post on the win7 forums (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-win...). I believe when you call the number an IVR system will ask how many computers are using the current key. Just input 0 and you should be good.

Your own link specifically says

" A OEM Windows 7 product key number can only be used to activate a OEM Windows 7 copy on the same computer that it was first activated on, and no other computer."
December 13, 2012 10:51:16 PM

You can install without a key, then reinstall again with the key. Or you can regedit hack through it.
a b $ Windows 7
December 14, 2012 1:51:23 PM

bak0n said:
You can install without a key, then reinstall again with the key. Or you can regedit hack through it.

Or we call can give the "right" advice and stop pretending there are shades of gray on OS licenses. The rules are simple and clear..
Wouldn't mind seeing people start getting banned for this stuff.
!